*Attention* Minnestona residents, Minnesota Guv Signs Video Game Bill Into Law

Double_Blade

Reaction score
Minnesota Guv Signs Video Game Bill Into Law

As of August 1st, underage buyers of "M" or "AO" rated games may face $25 civil fines in the state of Minnesota.

This afternoon, Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R) signed into law SF0785. The bill, sponsored in the Minnesota House by Rep. Jeff Johnson (R) and in the Senate by Sen. Sandra Pappas (D) uses the video game industry's ESRB ratings to define which games minors are ineligible to buy.

The bill is unique in that it places the onus for purchasing or renting adult-oriented games on the buyer rather than the seller. Retailers are, however, required to post signs explaining the consequences of violating the new law.

So far GamePolitics has no word regarding an industry appeal. We are attempting to get that information now.

ríomhaire said:
Good. Won't work though.

Do you mean the video game bill won't work?

Well, hard to say though. And the video game industry hasn't appeal yet.

It won't deter retailers for selling them to kids and it probably won't deter kids either.

ríomhaire said:
It won't deter retailers for selling them to kids and it probably won't deter kids either.

Do you mean that they won't detect the retailers?

I think they can check with the retailers whether or if anyone bought a M or AO rated games.

And the retailers can lie.

Although i guess that would be a federal offense. And probably covers tax laws as well >>

Well, do you think the law can detect the selling of video games and so on?

Meh. I'm turning seventeen in a month. I am OVER this shit :D

Besides, there are a billion other ways to get games.

I don't mind this - it's using the ESRB system. I think it could probably be better by punishing the parents though, not the kids.

Good thing I live in Minnesota...now I can buy all the kiddies games and charge $5 extra for it.

Sweet, time to make some profit.

I don't quite understand how this works. Do the retailers fine the kids that buy the M/AO-rated games? Does the government track down kids that bought the games?

Today, there are treats for you guys. ESA Doug Lowenstein decides to file suit in Minnesota.

Back