Audio: No sound on 4 or 5.1 speaker options

N

Normski_UK

Bought it today, and was eager to start it playing. Eventually got going, but no sound at all. I've read the threads on the "Stuttering" problem i.e.
dropping the quality down
removing codecs
removing antialisaing
and tried to implement those, but still no luck. (couldn't find the Autoconfig.cfg mentioned in a few threads. Where is this located??

I can get sound on the two speaker mode, but frankly 2D sound is a serious handicap to gameplay.

Please help!!

my config.cfg is found in
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life 2\hl2\cfg

If you want to make autoexec you make a notepad document put the commands into it, and save it as the autoexec.cfg, then alter the launch options of HL2 to run it. ( i use one for CSS tweaks, id assume its the same)

Have you set the speaker options in sound to 5.1 and they're not working? They work fine with everything else? Do you have your latest sound card drivers installed. I'm not sure if the problem is your side or some corruption in the game files. Perhaps validating your HL2 files might fix the issue (an unlikely solution).

I have the same(ish) problem. In 5.1 mode, no sound comes from the rear speakers, so I can't hear what's behind me. The speakers work fine on everything else.
Normski, do u use mobo onboard sound? I have Realtek AC'97 onboard sound, & think I read somewhere that you need a card like the Aureon or Audigy series to support the HL2 surround sound codecs, maybe that's the problem.

Hunter_8472 said:
I have the same(ish) problem. In 5.1 mode, no sound comes from the rear speakers, so I can't hear what's behind me. The speakers work fine on everything else.
Normski, do u use mobo onboard sound? I have Realtek AC'97 onboard sound, & think I read somewhere that you need a card like the Aureon or Audigy series to support the HL2 surround sound codecs, maybe that's the problem.
i ran 5.1 fine on an onboard ac97 - was pretty pants though tbh, if you have the money an audigy card will enhance your experience by a good £ to grin factor

original poster: are your speakers plugged in, turned on and turned up?

Back