Awesome Matrix 2.0 effect

Cool. How is that done?

Is it possible to watch the higher rez version in actual fullscreen, not on a virtual TV?

well if the original effect was made by simultaneously taking a bunch of photos arranged in a semi circle around the object I'd assume this is somewhat similiar but with a much more elaborate set up

also there are hotspots throughout the film where you can click to find out more

Carousel, the centrepiece of the Cinema project, clocks in at a (totally coincidental) two minutes and 19 seconds, but Berg conceived it to work as an endless loop. Visitors to the microsite, www.cinema.philips.com, therefore have the option to â??spinâ?? through the filmâ??s single take shot repeatedly, to stop on a specific frame, or to watch it at the preordained speed. The film also contains embedded hotspots, which, when triggered, transport the viewer seamlessly from the heavily posted film to a behind-the-scenes version of the same shot. This constant moving between two layers of reality proved one of the projectâ??s biggest and most ambitious production challenges. Viewers are able to choose between 21:9 and 16:9, turn Ambilight on and off, and â??scrubâ? the film. The micrositeâ??s loader doubles as a credit sequence. Rich media takeover banners drive traffic to the site by teasing viewers with an original Carousel trailer.

http://www.cinema.philips.com/?ls=gb_en

ya except that was a diorama and trhat effect has been around since film ..this was live action up until that ... clip ...was made

Amazing, I am going to ask my brother about this, he might know.

well if the original effect was made by simultaneously taking a bunch of photos arranged in a semi circle around the object I'd assume this is somewhat similiar but with a much more elaborate set up

Yeah that's my only guess with the information I have now, IE: they had several cameras focused around a sequence of action(s) at once (in the same order in which the camera moves throughout the film) and recorded all at the same time, then specific frames were chosen to basically make a "flip book" of seamless movement.

That's my guess anyways.

It can hardly be precisely like the matrix method because that requires the cameras to be all physically set up and in this the camera moves forwards very frequently - the problem is obvious. Maybe all that hype from the Matrix sequels about how it was now possible to simulate actors realistically in CG and make them do anything has finally and actually come true?

Consider what you're really seeing, and this doesn't seem to require too much tech. You have a camera-on-rails going through a scene in which everybody is standing very still; we can see in the commentary that props that can't be strung up, or effects that would need actual bullet-time, can be added in post, and tracks/movement/prop strings removed.

The end result is spectacular, absolutely, but I'm not sure this was an extension of the camera-fu 'bullet time' technique.

That was initially exactly what I thought, and the method may have been used for a few parts, but stuff like people trapped in awkward action poses would be impossible - tiny movements mean no man would ever be able to stay still on wires.

I assumed a lot of it would be post-production averaging between frames and removing small movements to create a seamless effect.

It's indeed incredibly clever.

it's not a still shot. it's one action shot taken from dozens of angles and stitched together to make one seamless fly through

I think alot of it was 3D, characters mid air, junk flying around etc...
But jezus does it look cool : O

-dodo

sigh ..yes it was 3d but not the 3d you're thinking of. they take photos from multiple angles simultaneously/or in rapid succession thereby creating a "3d" image out of the multiple images

wiki said:
In The Matrix, the camera path was pre-designed using computer-generated visualizations as a guide. Cameras were arranged, behind a green or blue screen, on a track and aligned through a laser targeting system, forming a complex curve through space. The cameras were then triggered at extremely close intervals, so the action continued to unfold, in extreme slow-motion, while the viewpoint moved. Additionally, the individual frames were scanned for computer processing. Using sophisticated interpolation software, extra frames could be inserted to slow down the action further and improve the fluidity of the movement (especially the frame rate of the images); frames could also be dropped to speed up the action. This approach provides greater flexibility than a purely photographic one.

How they did it in matrix, go to 2:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYOdkWLfypU&feature=related

but i dont think thats the method they use here because it would be imposible, the camera moves forward several times, they cant have a camera infront of a camera blocking the view...(edit nvm, they sort of did it the matrix, but the camera was angled a lil bit so i dont know)

How they did it in matrix, go to 2:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYOdkWLfypU&feature=related

but i dont think thats the method they use here because it would be imposible, the camera moves forward several times, they cant have a camera infront of a camera blocking the view...(edit nvm, they sort of did it the matrix, but the camera was angled a lil bit so i dont know)

it's not one shot but several "scenes" shot and stitched together ..they could easily shoot the scene with 4,5,6, 100 cameras in different angles and just use the angles they need to "fill up the missing info"

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29058
This thread explains how it was done (it's a filmmaker's forum). It was done with a motion controlled camera on a track which moved through propped up actors with starched clothes. CG was then used to enhance the footage and correct any errors. They posted a link to a behind the scenes video from Heroes, which had a similar effect. So no, it's not like the scene from the Matrix.

Pretty awesome.

Anyone else intensely creeped out by those clown masks?

Back