Awesome model

Death.Trap

Tank
Reaction score
While I don't model myself(cant afford the damn programs) I do intend to get into it later on. Just wanted to point you guys over to this guy on cgtalk. He is amazingly good at modeling. Its insane...anyways..heres the link

Modeling God

Meh, par the course for CGtalk, the best way to make yourself feel like an amateur is to browse CGtalk for a while. Personally I like the more creative bits rather than something derivative, but that's just me.

It is obviously very good, but with practice something like that isn't actually all that difficult. Just using fairly simple techniques, and a lot of time and patience you can produce something like that.

I wouldn't call that Insane, good yes, very good, but not insane. This can be done by most modelers after some practice.

Mikademius said:
I wouldn't call that Insane, good yes, very good, but not insane. This can be done by most modelers after some practice.

Ye I agree, its good work but its nothing compared to Panzar.

Wow, shows how much of a noob I am. Haha. Who's this Panzar you speak of?

urr.... no its not going to be in a mod and lets just say it would never run in source.

Neutrino said:
Their models have always amazed me. Can you imagine when game characters will look like that?

The modelling its self is not that difficult, its more down to there understanding of what they are modelling. I mean obviasly its well modelled in terms of modelling skill. But the person that modelled it has a very good understanding of how fabrics etc... look and move. This helps greatly when doing work like that.

Well, thats my opinion anyway.

Panzar is awesome.

Always makes me want to get into modelling, but then it suddenly hits me: Modelling vs My fiancé. Anyone find me a modelling application that can make dinner and have sex (without it being weird) and I might think about it.

Rather odd to compare it to panzar... one is organic.. other is not...

ANyways, you are not from death trap, it very nicely done... the thing is, once you get to a certain level, it's hard to make mecanical thing(especially things from movies, and stuff that has made before), since there is once so my you can do to make it different... organic stuff on the other hand has infinite possibilies....

On anothe rnote... why not just get yourself xsi EXP? ... excellent program and will allow you to familiarize yourself with it before you buy(if)

The modelling its self is not that difficult, its more down to there understanding of what they are modelling. I mean obviasly its well modelled in terms of modelling skill. But the person that modelled it has a very good understanding of how fabrics etc... look and move. This helps greatly when doing work like that.

Not just your opinion.

Nostradamus said:
Rather odd to compare it to panzar... one is organic.. other is not...

ANyways, you are not from death trap, it very nicely done... the thing is, once you get to a certain level, it's hard to make mecanical thing(especially things from movies, and stuff that has made before), since there is once so my you can do to make it different... organic stuff on the other hand has infinite possibilies....

On anothe rnote... why not just get yourself xsi EXP? ... excellent program and will allow you to familiarize yourself with it before you buy(if)

I have it. The nice(sarcasm) part about XSI EXP is that in my opinion they're aren't any good tutorials out there. I know theres that one guy that has about 500 tutorials on his site. But those don't appeal to me. Wish some people would do gun modeling tuts for xsi...I would rather learn mechanical type modeling anyways...but if their are any out there I can't find em.

EDIT-My idea of a good tutorial is one like the massive VTM set someone on these boards made for moedling a pistol. Except it was for 3ds max. Also don't get me wrong, organic modeling is awesome, I would just rather get mechanical type stuff down first.

saem i was stuck with XSI SOFTIMAGE for awhile but decided to buy 3d max because it had better tutorials:) i got y 3d max off ebay:) try that if you dont want to spend thousands of dollers on software.

maybe in the year 2020 if things go swimmingly well, we may see mesh detail getting close to that with ingame models. But by then you probably wont need to model painlessly for hours, and skill will be taken out of the task by better computing ability and tools, you'll probably just laser scan something ready into the computer for animating.

but that is pretty :), on the topic of the model, its the best one ive seen of the AT AT.... ever, when given the detail he's gone into on the model in question, tis purdy .

clarky003 said:
maybe in the year 2020 if things go swimmingly well, we may see mesh detail getting close to that with ingame models. But by then you probably wont need to model painlessly for hours, and skill will be taken out of the task by better computing ability and tools, you'll probably just laser scan something ready into the computer for animating.

but that is pretty :), on the topic of the model, its the best one ive seen of the AT AT.... ever, when given the detail he's gone into on the model in question, tis purdy .

Or you would be able to model with a hologram using your hands.

/me waves hands around

Heh well coming from doing more organic work, max feels like a dressed up CAD program, perhaps that is why it has so many gun tutorials. I must ask, is that all you guys are interested in modeling ? I mean don't get me wrong I'm just excited to see another variation of a popular gun model be posted on the forums and deconstructed by gun nuts. But aren't you going to want to make something, you know, organic or at least different at some point ?

Of course the other thing is the general art tradition of learning the human body, it provides one of the most difficult objects to draw/model/sculpt/paint/animate as it uses complex shapes and is something everyone is very attuned to. Heh, but fair enough I'll see about doing at least a translated version of Ichi's tutorial for XSI. I just hate to see you guys miss out on a really great price-point and solid piece of software.

IchI said:

You also need to remember that many modelers have problems with form in general. You need a certain understanding of that too. I used to say that anyone can pull anything off with time in their hands, but some people just don't have the eye for it. The modeling is very good, but the animation lacks a good understanding of weight . That's where panzar needs more study. Still, those were only tests, but it's very obvious.

Mikademius said:
You also need to remember that many modelers have problems with form in general. You need a certain understanding of that too. I used to say that anyone can pull anything off with time in their hands, but some people just don't have the eye for it. The modeling is very good, but the animation lacks a good understanding of weight . That's where panzar needs more study. Still, those were only tests, but it's very obvious.

I would have to disagree, you need to remember what your actually looking at, its only a clay style model. I think its very hard to pull off weight correctly when it isn't textured. I think they handle weight quite well, its definatly better than most people.

How can texturing a model help with animating it well?

Those are some amazing models though :eek:

Fletch said:
How can texturing a model help with animating it well?

Those are some amazing models though :eek:

Its not down to the way you animate it. Its the fact that the whole model will look heavyier with a skin on it.

The weight I was thinking about was infact the Axe. The weight on the model itself looks good. Just a very odd axemovement... And it should still look heavy without textures if you animate it correctly.

Cunbelin said:
Heh well coming from doing more organic work, max feels like a dressed up CAD program, perhaps that is why it has so many gun tutorials. I must ask, is that all you guys are interested in modeling ? I mean don't get me wrong I'm just excited to see another variation of a popular gun model be posted on the forums and deconstructed by gun nuts. But aren't you going to want to make something, you know, organic or at least different at some point ?

Of course the other thing is the general art tradition of learning the human body, it provides one of the most difficult objects to draw/model/sculpt/paint/animate as it uses complex shapes and is something everyone is very attuned to. Heh, but fair enough I'll see about doing at least a translated version of Ichi's tutorial for XSI. I just hate to see you guys miss out on a really great price-point and solid piece of software.

Yes. I just plan to move onto other stuff. I just need a tutorial to help me alone through the beginning. Atutorial where your actually doing something interesting. I can't stand doing those, "vector quadratic denomination" tutorials. I have trouble sitting through something like that, now if I was in school learning this then that wouldn't be a problem, but since I'm at home...

In truth I have no idea the state of the XSI tutorials, I learned SI|3D in a classroom originally, and then Maya, more recently I took a refresher course in XSI. I did learn gMax on my own, but my work in it has been extremely limited. There are things in all the packages that I like, but for whatever reason I'm most comfortable in XSI. Out of curiosity, what kind of tutorials do you want ?

Mikademius said:
The weight I was thinking about was infact the Axe. The weight on the model itself looks good. Just a very odd axemovement... And it should still look heavy without textures if you animate it correctly.

I know this seems almost like nit picking,, but some models in animation have some clipping problems because of protruding parts that get in the way of the natural movement of the arms/ legs,

the characters are bulky, but if you where going to finish those models in animation you would need to change the movement, or remove the parts that protrude, or reshape them.

Cunbelin said:
In truth I have no idea the state of the XSI tutorials, I learned SI|3D in a classroom originally, and then Maya, more recently I took a refresher course in XSI. I did learn gMax on my own, but my work in it has been extremely limited. There are things in all the packages that I like, but for whatever reason I'm most comfortable in XSI. Out of curiosity, what kind of tutorials do you want ?

Well, whenever I check out cgtalk or another cg website. I see tons of awesome models. I always think to myself, why don't these guys make a tutorial for this model? Like the AT-AT Imagine how awesome it would be if the guy did a tutorial for that? Basically I'm interested in non-organic items, mostly because I suck and I think those would be best to start off with. Something like a car, a plane. Rendering also, because I can't figgure out how skins work with XSI. When I was on the 3ds max 30 day trial thing, it seemed easy enough. But in XSI it just confuses the hell outa me.

I've made a few mechanical models (well, battlemechs mwaha). Basically what you do is just do it piece by piece. Say you are doing hte forearm, it may be a cylindrical rocket launcher (as in one of my models), you create a cylinder. Then you create a sphere, cut half of it off and connect the other half to the end of the cylinder so the end of the arm is concaved. You just go in an add a load of 'useless detail' to make it look much more interesting. Add a bunch of shapes, pipes etc. that look like they might have a purpose. Bits sticking out here and there. You basically just try to avoid having plain flat surfaces.
Sorry this is very vague, but that is pretty much all it is in most cases. You just throw some things on it to get rid of plain areas. Try armour plates, pipes, wires, some random cylinders etc.

Well the problem is I am almost completely new to modeling. I need alot of practice with...everything.

My suggestion then is first get comfortable with just general modelling (eg. extruding, scaling in different axis- just basic stuff). Then once you are comfortable use a front and side reference picture (I'll put two here as an example). Best way to make sure they pics are the same size is to create a couple of cubes, in one view match one cube up to the height of the head (or any other reference points you see in both pictures) and do the same with the other cube on an area at the other end of the pic (eg. the foot). Then in the other view see where those lines like and adjust the size/position of the picture accordingly.
Basically start on one area (eg. the foot) and match up your shape to both the front and side pictures. Check in perspective view to see if it looks ok. Since it is mechanical feel free to use as many objects as you like, intersecting all you want. This alone makes things much easier, it lets you do a small bit as detailed as you like (which may just be a bunch of shapes sitting on it) and then start another piece without having to worry about messing up what you just did.
Just work around creating the different shapes, matching them up in both pictures and you will put together a model. Once you are more comfortable and practiced you won't need the front and side pictures (though they are always very helpful) when making other models.

FrontPic
SidePic
3Dpic

This was about my third mech model, it is really just a bunch of not so complicated objects placed together. It is a good way to do it before getting into the very high detail models (that can take quite awhile to model, trust me :) ).

Back