Barney Calhoun Unimportant?

Dark Auro

Spy
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while now and I finally decided to make a thread about it. Anyway, as the topic says this has to relate to Calhoun from Blue Shift. I wondered, why didn't the G-Man follow Barney around and keep him locked up at the end in some kind of portal thing like he did with Gordon and Shepherd. Even in Opposing Force he said to Shepherd he can't finish his case until every lose end is tied up which included him and Gordon. Also, the G-Man told Shepherd that he didn't want him to go and tell everyone what happened. What would keep Barney from doing that? Anyway, your thoughts on why the G-Man let Barney go free.

My personnal interpretation of the HL1 plots is that the G-man was funneling Aidrian and Gordan towards the Lambda labs, in the hopes that they would use their skills to kill Nihilanth for whatever motive.

If that's the case, Barney had no intention of ever going to the Lambda Labs since he was following Dr. Rosenberg's plan. So the G-man used the other two guys who were closer and who were easily motivated to reach the Lambda complex. Basically, Shep and Gordo would be easier to control.

Well, I reckon Barney was simply a loose end that the G-Man failed to tie up, or that his escape was part of the plan. It all depends upon how far in advance the G-man had planned things...

Maybe his bosses didn't want word to get out, but he did?

Or maybe the "case" isn't finished...

I don't really know. I have only gotten half way through Opposing Force...

Barney and Rosenburg escaped in some jeep, correct?

It never really tells you how far they actually got. Perhaps G-Man took care of them at some other point.

I think Barney was merely trying to survive, like any other security guard was. Gordon was different, he was the centre of the accident. As for shepard, well, he was on gordons tail the whole time, the gman was probably trying to either keep him out of gordons away or have him as a back up plan.

Actaully, having read the script myself (the above is mere speculation) , i think if you watch the hl ending, then look at soem of the stuff valve has released of the plot line, you will figure something out, its just matching it together.

CreamOfetus said:
not important?! the man OWES you a beer. and you WILL get that beer.

He will get that beer eventually, or a substitute carton of semi-skimmed milk :E

yeah i think barny dies... thats just cold thow... :(... we lost anuther hendrix

Hardly, if you remember that interview with gabe newell he said in half life 3 they want to expand on characters like barney, kliener and alyx

Back