BBC Apologizes To Who Star

I'm still so unsure about the new series of Dr. Who. I know it's only the third episode, but I'm hoping it's going into a more overarcing plot rather than occasional episodic misadventures.

Christopher Eccleston's pretty good though.

hah I seen that the other day :)

I like nothing about the new series :x

I was unsure about it to begin with, but it looks like this Time War is gonna be a larger story arc.

Anyone else think the new series overdoes the bloom effect? :)

in the series they are said to be having the Dalek's as part of the reason for the time war, and the Doctor meeting them again at some point (I heard 6th episode) and then later its them that kill him, making way for the new doctor in the next series

Yeah I'm intrigued by the larger storyline, thats pretty much the only thing thats going to keep me watching.

My thoughts on the first episode as per a post on another forum ...

It was atrocious. I'm all for nostalgia and aint adverse to a retro feel , especially the 70's and 80's bbc shite retro feel. Like the ones buck rodgers and the old bsg has but this was rank for a modern sci-fi. 2005 people not 1975. They've obviously taken not a single lesson from the glorious new series of Battlestar Galactica. At first thought i wondered is this a cbbc program? But no it was the much hyped "new" series of doctor who. For me the feel of it while true to the 60's 70's / old series was fine .. but if I wanted that I'd go watch the actual few decent episodes of doc who that are out there. Let's not kid ourselves the original , like blakes 7 and so much brit sci-fi is pretty pap , but good none the less. this was just pap with no excuse. Ecclestone who I have a lot of time for seemed to be enjoying the role .. but he was just belting around the place being manic but not as good as Tom baker about. With any luck the new few eps will lend it some cohesion but. .. I have my doubts. Billie .. fair enough will give her a chance ... but the walking clothes dummies ? Oh for god sakes :/ The effects were mince even more so than you'd expect for a beeb series but I just couldnt beleive quite how bad it all was. I will give it, it's due - as cheesy sci-fi in the style of the old doc who or other old brit series .. fine. But I don't want that for my docotor who in the year 2005. Heartily disappointed

It's improving a bit for me ... but the whole different time of the week thing. In buffy you knew it was because they were on a hellmouth. X-files you know it's because wierd shit happens around a grander alien conspiracy. Alias has the rambaldi stuff for wierd shite .. Doctor Who .. just arses about in different time periods for the sake of it.

"Lets go to 1860!"
"what happens in 1860?"
"I dunno!"

AHAHAHHAAHAHHHAHAhahah.

meh ;(

Hot Soup said:
"Lets go to 1860!"
"what happens in 1860?"
"I dunno!"

AHAHAHHAAHAHHHAHAhahah.

meh ;(
Yeah, that's the main reason why I'm unsure about it at the moment.
I'm glad they are actually working towards a coherent story - I figured they were, and actually the idea of slowly introducing it is a good one.
The daleks scared me when I was a kid, but now they're a bit laughable, although apparently they now fly... <Coughs>

el Chi said:
The daleks scared me when I was a kid, but now they're a bit laughable, although apparently they now fly... <Coughs>

I cant stop thinking of either flying hoovers or r2d2 and that awfull flying bit in attack of the clones......

The third episode (by Mark Gatiss) was a slight improvement, despite the Doctor's manic cavorting and Rose's continuously irritating use of dialect.

But they told Gatiss to tone it down and make it less dark. God DAMN. Dr. Who has been and, unfortunately, probably always will be a children's programme- but they're going too far to make it light-hearted and family friendly. I.e., far worse than it should be.

Even then some mad bitch on Points of View (BBC public comments programme) thought that it was entirely inappropriate for Rose's mad mother to try and make a pass at the Doctor :x

At least the skin-splitting glowing alien disguisey-bit (or whatever the hell was going on) touched on for the next episode should be interestingly sinister. I hope.

Hot Soup said:
Yeah I'm intrigued by the larger storyline, thats pretty much the only thing thats going to keep me watching.

It was atrocious. I'm all for nostalgia and aint adverse to a retro feel , especially the 70's and 80's bbc shite retro feel. Like the ones buck rodgers and the old bsg has but this was rank for a modern sci-fi. 2005 people not 1975. They've obviously taken not a single lesson from the glorious new series of Battlestar Galactica. At first thought i wondered is this a cbbc program? But no it was the much hyped "new" series of doctor who. For me the feel of it while true to the 60's 70's / old series was fine .. but if I wanted that I'd go watch the actual few decent episodes of doc who that are out there. Let's not kid ourselves the original , like blakes 7 and so much brit sci-fi is pretty pap , but good none the less. this was just pap with no excuse. Ecclestone who I have a lot of time for seemed to be enjoying the role .. but he was just belting around the place being manic but not as good as Tom baker about. With any luck the new few eps will lend it some cohesion but. .. I have my doubts. Billie .. fair enough will give her a chance ... but the walking clothes dummies ? Oh for god sakes :/ The effects were mince even more so than you'd expect for a beeb series but I just couldnt beleive quite how bad it all was. I will give it, it's due - as cheesy sci-fi in the style of the old doc who or other old brit series .. fine. But I don't want that for my docotor who in the year 2005. Heartily disappointed

It's improving a bit for me ... but the whole different time of the week thing. In buffy you knew it was because they were on a hellmouth. X-files you know it's because wierd shit happens around a grander alien conspiracy. Alias has the rambaldi stuff for wierd shite .. Doctor Who .. just arses about in different time periods for the sake of it.

"Lets go to 1860!"
"what happens in 1860?"
"I dunno!"

AHAHAHHAAHAHHHAHAhahah.

meh ;(

hehe my original rant after the first showing was similar to that. Though I'm trying hard to give it a chance and I guess everything struggles a little to begin with (and after all these years we should just assume this is its first outing rather than its 27th series) stargate was crap on its first few episodes, season even. Atlantis.. jury still out. But yeah I'm hoping thats the reason this series isn't so good.

Though watching that Doctor Who confidential, its kinda laughable how a lot of the "reasons why we did this" are just covers for the fact they didn't know what they were doing, or rushed into it.

The tardis interior for example is clearly thrown together with old BBC props, it wasn't carefully designed to be organic, its just how it ended up looking so they built a story around why they did that.

They filmed in Swansea NOT cause the producer wanted to, but cause they couldn't afford Naples.

Your right, they should have watched the new BSG to see how its done. I'd have been quite happy with a reimagining of Doctor Who too even, if it had been at that level of quality (but can you imagine what the die hard Who fans would have said.. omgoutcry haha.. worth it just to annoy them ;))

I still think, even though it was low budget, blake's 7 did have higher production values, and while the new series of B7 is considerably different, it does a good job of trying to get it right. Whereas Doctor Who does seem to have slipped up somewhere.. They shoulda made it darker, would have been more fun :E

Edcrab said:
Even then some mad bitch on Points of View (BBC public comments programme) thought that it was entirely inappropriate for Rose's mad mother to try and make a pass at the Doctor :x
Say class! Can we say neurotic Daily Mail reading housewife? <Shudders>

I think, as TDE said, you need to approach this new series from a slightly different angle. The stuff that was scary in the old episodes is NOT scary now and so it has to be seriously rethought. It should have been much darker than it currently is - maybe there's still time.

I've said it once so I'll say it again- look at some of the official novels, you wannabe Who-writers! You won't find any bloody burping wheely bins in there!

Except in Doctor Who and The Burping Bins of Bristol, but that was just a short story.

When I first read the thread title, I honestly thought it would be in reference to the crappy material they'd forced Eccelston to act with :eek:

I watched it, don't really like the humour, though I do get it. Don't like the crap digital special effects.

I much prefer the crap effects of the original, and the stories.

Still, it's just started....

Hot Soup said:

"Lets go to 1860!"
"what happens in 1860?"
"I dunno!"

AHAHAHHAAHAHHHAHAhahah.

meh ;(

It is supposed to be cheesy and corny, it's Dr Who, not flipping Battlestar Gallactica, the new series of which sucks. If the new series of Dr Who was anything like that absolutely shocking new series of Battlestar Gallactica, Dr Who would spend half his time having sex with Billy Piper, the other half being spent running randomly around in circles as story lines that make no sense just come and go in the back ground.

Razor said:
It is supposed to be cheesy and corny, it's Dr Who, not flipping Battlestar Gallactica, the new series of which sucks. If the new series of Dr Who was anything like that absolutely shocking new series of Battlestar Gallactica, Dr Who would spend half his time having sex with Billy Piper, the other half being spent running randomly around in circles as story lines that make no sense just come and go in the back ground.
Instead, Dr. Who spends half his time NOT having sex with Billie Piper, the other half being spent running randomly around in circles as story lines that make no sense just come and go in the back ground.

Don't worry guys, episode six stars the Daleks, but the two episodes before hand features a crash landuing UFO (takes out half of Big Ben) and World War Three

Dr Who is about non-serious and sometimes scary storylines and fun, it is supposed to be corny and cheesy, that is the way it is. And if anyone starts moaning about people walking through 19th England and wondering why the heck there is a police phone box from the 1960's doing in 1860, i will scream bloody murder.

Death eVader, that's a classic line from Red Dwarf :) Kryten always had the best lines.

Razor said:
Dr Who is about non-serious and sometimes scary storylines and fun, it is supposed to be corny and cheesy, that is the way it is. And if anyone starts moaning about people walking through 19th England and wondering why the heck there is a police phone box from the 1960's doing in 1860, i will scream bloody murder.

Death eVader, that's a classic line from Red Dwarf :) Kryten always had the best lines.
How would someone from the 1860's know it comes from the 1960's?

Heh, link rhymes with Bliink....

Ahem.

I quite like the new Doctor Who. I would have liked it if it was darker, and perhaps more serious but actually...Its quite nice to just have a little light hearted sci fi.

Razor said:

I'm glad that someone noticed

Lister- "Rimmer, rimmer? I remember him, he was my best buddy right?"
Kryten- "Sir, you are sick!"

Was there supposed to be a movie being made?

DEATH eVADER said:
I'm glad that someone noticed

Lister- "Rimmer, rimmer? I remember him, he was my best buddy right?"
Kryten- "Sir, you are sick!"

Was there supposed to be a movie being made?

Not sure, i have always heard rumours of a Red Dwarf movie though.

My favourite line is in the first episode of series 8 where they fly up the rats arse and he says "I hope there's no cops around, they hate it when you're rat arsed." :O :thumbs:

Razor said:

My favourite line is in the first episode of series 8 where they fly up the rats arse and he says "I hope there's no cops around, they hate it when you're rat arsed." :O :thumbs:

Is series 8 on DVD yet?

el Chi said:
Yeah, that's the main reason why I'm unsure about it at the moment.
I'm glad they are actually working towards a coherent story - I figured they were, and actually the idea of slowly introducing it is a good one.
'Good luck in finding your cure for Cobbles doctor'
'Oh, it's not all bad, at least we can fly'

:D

Look Around You \o/

Razor said:

"What's your view hol?"
"Straight up your nose when you lean in like that."

"I've devoted all my runtime to find a loophole in the prison regulations, and have found a way for you to sit off your whole two years sentence in just under fourteen weeks."
"Oh brilliant Holly, what have I got to do?"
"Become a dog."

Holly rules.
Oh and the movie is coming. Supposedly being shot atm.

If Red Dwarf was an Epic, it would outdo Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy at the movies

Lister- "This is Tarkadol, ambassador for the Vindaluvian Empire"
Enemy Ship- "We read Human Lifesigns on your ship"
Lister- "Humans *spit* we hate humans, they are the scum of the Universe, isn't that right Bindie Bandie?"
Cat- "Thats right, Scum, scum, scum, scum *Lick*"

DEATH eVADER said:
If Red Dwarf was an Epic, it would outdo Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy at the movies

Lister- "This is Tarkadol, ambassador for the Vindaluvian Empire"
Enemy Ship- "We read Human Lifesigns on your ship"
Lister- "Humans *spit* we hate humans, they are the scum of the Universe, isn't that right Bindie Bandie?"
Cat- "Thats right, Scum, scum, scum, scum *Lick*"
Read the books, just as great as the series.

Ah, I read Backwards, and I remember it being good. Really, really dark, far more so than the series ever was, but all the better for it.

Didn't really like the later series, but the first few were great...

Episode 4 would have been ok, if they'd put some effort into the alien costumes and fx. Oh, right, and not turned it into some sort of brutal childrens programme. Seriously, what is it with the BBC right now? First "Ask the Family" gets savaged by those two ****wits, then they turn Dr.Who into a mockery with childish humour.

Kids don't need fart jokes to laugh, half wits.

I was actually quite liking that episode up until the pig and fart shit started :/

I was irritated by the forced "family" moments from the outset. Doctor Who has never touched upon (at least seriously) the kind of issues time travel would cause for a family, since it's cliched and irritating. I bet Piper and the actress playing her mother had to shower after being made to act the part of soap-opera rejects :x

That guy from Auf Weiderschen, Pet was fairly good, actually. Didn't get to me, unlike the Doctor's continued mugging.

I'm just glad the pig wasn't the actual alien- that'd have been so lame. Almost as lame as aliens with laughably bad and unsinister faces- undoing the semi-creepy skin-shedding with flatulence was a bad move, too. Guess they don't want to get too dark for the poor wee kiddies :hmph:

Edcrab said:
I bet Piper and the actress playing her mother had to shower after being made to act the part of soap-opera rejects :x

I should wash my mind out with soap :(

Yes, yes you should, as girl-on-girl action involving those two doesn't really interest me in the slightest :eek:

Unless you're not being as filthy as I thought you were being, in which case what's happened to you?!

On an un-pervy note, I still wonder what'll happen with the Daleks. Hopefully they won't end up pink and cheerful.

Although, come to think of it, the Happy Daleks might be a whole new craze.

I liked tonights episode, although the whole pig thing made me sit up and think 'wtf?'

I'm looking forward to the Daleks. But I'm more looking forward to the fact we could see Cybermen later on. Cybermen were always the best enemies. They were just... so****ingcoolomg.

There's no Cybermen in series 1, TheBleeding.

Maybe for the next one...

Back