Beginners guide to the Source engine

wow, "THE SOURCE ENGINE FOR DUMMIES".....i saw it coming someday

Erbert and Roper say, "This is an article for the ages." :p

Aye good work, shame it's on another site ;)

Excellent! :thumbs:

I don't think this is just for beginners, but even people who have been following Source closely (me) learn new stuff :)
And it's nice to have a link that explains HDR that you can give the newbies instead having to explain it everytime :)

I like the part about VGUI2 saying that you can apply stuff like pixelshaders to them. Refractive menus? :D

i only half understood HDR 'till now. i got that 20 meg demo and i was all like, "OMGZ! Wu7 H@Ve 1 b3N M1s§I/\/g 0uT 0n 7h15 w40l3 ti3m?!?"

in all seriousness though those effects were the shiznit. the light bleeding was awesome. hell, the whole thing was. i hope HL2 does support it, because this rig was rendering that program without any hitch, and i'd like to see those effects in game.

I have been following source (minus what HDR is) pretty closely, and i learned a few new tidbits too. it was a nice read, thanks for the linkage mrchimp.

-edit- oh you wrote it mrchimp? very excellent writing, you done good.

I re-read it, and everyone needs to check out the meqon link, they have 2 physics demos up and they are both big fun! Been playing since i last replied :cheers:

Mrchimp, thanks man :p

/edit: What Moejoe said: check out the HDR program too, it's scary what kinds of images the graphics cards of today can pump out. It looks REAL! Also highly recommended!

I almost posted about this quite awhile ago, I read it and was in awe. Truly journalist quality mr. chimp

Really good Chimpy!

The community has been needing something like this for a while, you have my thumbs up :D

You can thank Mr Bond as well for proof reading it. I'm not sure how much he changed it (there's no way in hell I'm reading it again) but from the looks of the first paragraph he got rid of the more wordy disjunctioned stuff.

Excellent. Was completely blown away by the HDR demo :) Checking out meqon now. Looks awesome.

Synthaxx R-or said:
I re-read it, and everyone needs to check out the meqon link, they have 2 physics demos up and they are both big fun! Been playing since i last replied :cheers:

i have been playing with the 1.8 meg one for like an hour now...that this is FUN! dodgeball with those ragdolls...oh man this is the best 1.8 megabytes i have ever downloaded in my entire life!

i wish i had 2 more hands so i could give that article 4 thumbs down.

j/k it was good if youre a n00b or retarded and dont know anything about source by now.

How many times can you vote with it still counting?

Nice article - I spent a good hour fooling around with the physcis stuff, it's lots of fun.

Very good article.
But.... I haven't seen this pictures before. Is it official? (Sorry, media-freak :p)

Burning Fish said:
Very good article.
But.... I haven't seen this pictures before. Is it official? (Sorry, media-freak :p)

Yes it's from the PDF that's also on the page. They released that about 3 months ago if i'm not mistaken.

Very good article, :thumbs: from me.

I'd just like to point out a possible typo in your "Rigid Body Dynamics & Constraints/Joints"...

Rigid body dynamics are the most common application of physics in today's games -- it's simply the physical simulation of none deformable objects.

But yeah, loved the article, and great links!

Back