• Windows Media Player

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

lePobz

Tank
Reaction score
I use Winamp2 but more and more people are using Winamp5, and some crazy people are actually using Windows Media Player?!

Which do you people use? Why?

I use winamp 5 because, although it was strange at first, it has lots of little features that add up to make it feel much more comfortable than previous versions.

I use Windows Media Player because every other player sucks horribly. I use the toolbar mode mostly, it's so damn convenient not having it in the taskbar. Plus everything else takes forever to load even on my 3Ghz P4 1GB RAM.

WMP = Fast, convenient, and easy to navigate around.

I hated WinAmp since the early days it came out. RealONE is good, but I don't use it with my music collection.

winamp is small and fiddly. you can skin it and stuff but for me, windows media player just has what i need. no frills, simple to use, does the job.

I use Winamp 2 for those reasons - its tiny, takes up virtually no system resources, and has only the features that I use - not loads of ones I dont use that take up system resources unneccesarily (like winamp 5). I might move on to Winamp 5 soon though, Winamp 2 is no longer updated ;(

I've always thought of Windows Media Player as being overly big, badly coded, and being a drain on system resources (microsoft made it!) - is this true or not?

Pobz said:
I use Winamp 2 for those reasons - its tiny, takes up virtually no system resources, and has only the features that I use - not loads of ones I dont use that take up system resources unneccesarily (like winamp 5). I might move on to Winamp 5 soon though, Winamp 2 is no longer updated ;(

So true, I remember when it came out(winamp b2 or whatever they use) its so fast loading, but I think they have gotten winamp 5 down pat, and loads pretty fast now. Barely uses a lot of system resources too. I can run winamp 5,aim,irc on 3 networks, steam, and play in an online game with no trouble. Very nice product I must say. :thumbs:

I use Winamp5 for mp3 and other music files. Winamp 5 is better than Winamp 2 and 3 because it both supports modern skins AND plugins for other sound files such as spc, nsf, etc.

Windows Media Player may be a newb program or whatever you wanna call it, but I use it for watching movies anyway, because it is simple and all you really need to do is get the right CODEC and you'll be fine.

Yeah when it comes to movies i like using windows media player....although sometimes i am forced to use quicktime.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Yeah when it comes to movies i like using windows media player....although sometimes i am forced to use quicktime.
Ah, yes, true that. And sometimes even <gulp> Real Player :angry:

Aha, i'm starting to see a pattern emerge in favor of winamp5 - may be time to download it :)

I also use Windows Media Player for movies, although when I'm watching a film i'm not playing a game, so system resources etc are not an issue. Also for functionality all you really need are Play, Pause and Stop buttons :)

I only use Winamp 5. I don't like windows media player at all, it's too freaky and microsofty.

I did try some other player awhile ago, i've forgot it's name, but it didn't play some songs correctly.

You should post in the newbie central :p Then i'll give you the magical link.

It's like crack, only it's internet and not illegal.

Hah, nice avatar :D

/me makes Pulse post in the newbie central.

Give it time, and it will grow.

You also have to water it once a week, plus give it some fertelizer every spring. And now I think this topic will be closed because of spam.

Yes...i feel that i may have contributed slightly.....No...No thats not true. You're all bad people.

I won't close it it i will stop spamming, and so should you :)

In before close!
Wait! You said no spam?
I mean, oops, this wasn't ment to be posted.
Err, I wonder why I did post it anyway. :s

Oh bloody hell... spamfest '04

I use iTunes... uses 1% of my CPU... plus it's Apple... so :E

ComradeBadger said:
Oh bloody hell... spamfest '04

I use iTunes... uses 1% of my CPU... plus it's Apple... so :E
How slow is your computer for that to matter? :O

I am still alive....

I use WMP....i really don't give two shits if it is not l33t or makes me a newb for using it, it gets the job done

I guess I should have written that I consider windows media player bad for music only. For videos I use it, however because of my internet connection I rarely ever watch any movies on my computer.

Murray_H said:
I am still alive....

I use WMP....i really don't give two shits if it is not l33t or makes me a newb for using it, it gets the job done
Yeah, that pretty much sums up what Dedalus and I said.

I've just upgraded to Winamp5 and it's overwritten Winamp2, kept all the settings, including the classic skin... so from what I can see, it looks the same, sounds the same, but gets updated regularly and isn't 'old skool' ... but it does take up more system resources, which is bad... but I like it.

WA5 with Classic Skin. I tried Quintessential Player for a bit, only thing I liked about it was sorting options, you could sort by "Artist, Album, Track number" which was really useful if you rip lots of CDs like me :)

Anyone know of a plugin for Winamp that does this?

Edit - Magical Link? I WANT MAGICAL LINK :x

Back