Best Linux distro for me?

99.vikram

Tank
Reaction score
In the past few weeks I've tried some distros and have now decided to install one on a new partition.
My Laptop is a Core duo (x86 32 bit, I think) with an Intel GMA 950 graphics card and Soundmax HD audio.
I'm not a power user at all, so these are the things that it has to be able to do -

- Run live off a CD, but installs to HDD
- Automounts and reads NTFS drives as live CD
- A nice (simple) graphical installer + partitioning tool
- autodetects most hardware
- Synaptic package manager
- Play all common media formats...I have little love for ogg audio :x
- Flash, Java etc. works from the live CD, without downloading/installing anything
- Mplayer/VLC and OOo running from the live CD

This is a list of things I would like it to do -

- Use a KDE environment, with a good default theme
- Use proprietary NVidia, ATI drivers
- Write to NTFS drives :p

After I get acclimatised I'll probably move on to Fedora or openSuse. So any suggestions? :D

Ubuntu sounds about right...You mentioned KDE, so the particular one to look for is Kubuntu :)

I've already tried Ubuntu, but I dont think it can play Mp3 and other such formats.
That is the dealbreaker.

I'm not retarded...I may want to install this on systems without net access, without having to carry the codecs around on a disc everywhere.

I want something more like Knoppix, but with better hardware support and a more noob friendly community.

Final update:
I installed PCLinuxOS 2007, it's awesome (does everything I mentioned in the OP), and a big thanks to Nemesis for his worthless assumption about what I knew about Ubuntu/Linux. :E

Back