best OS for games?

I'd say windows xp :)

Never had problems with it

For simple people, Windows. For advanced people, Linux.

Ya Linux is better for games if you are too advanced to select from 100s of games and want a choice of like 3 good ones....

If the question was "what OS is better for hippy communist paranoid geeks" or "what is a great economical OS for a server" then yes Linux is better.

PS. I have both XP and a linux distribution installed and theres nothing wrong with linux besides it has no support from hardware companies or software companies and so dosen't do what I want it to do better and more efficiently than windows. That is the only thing that matters. Its fun to play with though.

That price is a joke! Offixe Xp costs normally 70 pounds...at that price you can get the professional one.!

Windows .. not because I like Microsoft, but it's the only OS with descent games

Offixe Xp costs normally 70 pounds...at that price you can get the professional one.!

you can get a five fingered discount at kazaa :cheese:

Up until last year I used 98se, but now use XP home and its solid. Never had any problems.....

well looks like xp is the os for me....but payin that much is abit well much.. i have kazza and i have 56k =[ how big is xp

Originally posted by SirMcNugget
If the question was "what OS is better for hippy communist paranoid geeks" or "what is a great economical OS for a server" then yes Linux is better.
Look, if you don't know jack sh*t about Linux, just say so.

Windows XP Professional is the best OS for games and most other things.

Macs are good for graphic design and media work (editing movies).

Linux is good for dedicated servers and other web services.

Yeah I agree, XP is junk, especially home. If you really must, must have XP at least get Pro.. who wants to pay $100 for a neutered OS?

I'd go with Win2k Pro.

XP isn't as stable as 2K but it is more advanced in several areas. XP also is more backwards compatable with software and hardware then 2K is.

People posting don't seem to know much history about OS's and gaming do they :/

Windows ME was fantastic for pc gaming alas it was so unstable that any poor sod who used it ended up going bald within a month.

Windows 2000 is currently the best Windows OS for pc gaming however. WindowsXP may of stood a chance for first place but it had too many flaws like the refresh rate error and the mouse playing up with certain games.

As for non MS OS's there's no much to say.. Linux is great for hosting servers but doesn't really support many games, infact hardly any of the recent ones.

Macs.. heh :|

For top end systems i suppose XP might be better, but for those of us who arent made of money then i reckon Win2kpro is better. I have XP on an older machine and it runs about 20 times as slow as it did with win2000pro on it. XP seems to eat mroe resources, so im keeping win2kpro on my gaming machine for optimal performance.

This isn't about what runs better, it's about what OS is better for games. 2k is the best for gaming, XP would be but it has several errors than I believe still weren't fixed in service pack1.

People may play fine on XP, I know I do but 2k is better for gaming because there are no errors where as on XP there are known errors related to playing games.

is that petition actually gonna get anywhere? I'd actually like to see hl2 on the mac it'd give valve more fans and stuff.

I've used all the windows OS, Windows XP has worked the best and has been the most stable, and most compatible. There is also support for XP where you can run old DOS games even better than DOS did. It has been the most stable machine, I play games on my computer and downloading files constantly, and have not rebooted or reset my computer for a month (its been constantly on). XP also has the best recovery from errors.

So I would vote XP, one reason Linux runs better then windows most of the time, is linux has less use on hardware, and can recover from hardware failure, infact most windows problems are caused by hardware glitches.

For you people arguing about Windows/Linux, you can check this out hehe, its worth a look.
http://www.lindows.com/

I do agree that XP was buggy, but that was when it first came out, with updates it is great. It is XP pro that I am using, my favorit version :)

omfg, can u guys shut up with windows 2000, it wasnt built for games or for home use.yes its great and more reliable that xp (home e.).Now if u like windows 2000, and u like its features u sould get xp pro or 2003 server(this last one is great, plus it never crashes or dels. files). But i will say this, all game companies sould make games for linux.look at x box graphics and look at our graphics...windows drains all the damn juice damn that gates

At the moment, non-windows OSes aren't useful at all for gaming since the PC gaming market is targeted specifically at windows. Suggesting OSX or Linux isn't really practical, since ports aren't very common (as far as I know).

I use XP pro, and while it has it's problems, I'm finding it better than previous versions of windows as far as gaming is concerned.

If you have a recent enough system to run recently released games, I'd say XP pro is your best bet, though I have little experience with 2000 or ME so I can't compare either of them to XP.

omfg, can u guys shut up with windows 2000, it wasnt built for games or for home use.yes its great and more reliable that xp (home e.).Now if u like windows 2000, and u like its features u sould get xp pro or 2003 server(this last one is great, plus it never crashes or dels. files). But i will say this, all game companies sould make games for linux.look at x box graphics and look at our graphics...windows drains all the damn juice damn that gates
agreed... xp is such a ******* resource hogger, but we're basically forced to use it, not many choices in an OS that works with 99% of everything

Look, if you don't know jack sh*t about Linux, just say so.

I know plenty about linux. :) I was just trying to force a confrontation cause thats what I do and I happen to not have any significant problems with XP. I also happen to think people who use Linux simply to spite Microsoft are stupid. I know all about linux though and how linux refers to the kernel developed my Torvalds and is open source and being constantly developed by many talented programmers. I also know that most of the software and the GUIs are under the GNU liscence. I also know that without a doubt a huge percentage of the best games dont support linux, forgive me if im wrong but the ability to play the game is important in deciding which OS is best for gaming. I also dont think that communism or being a "hippy" are related to linux. It is an awesome project and fine and dandy OS but I still cant play my games or run my software on it.

I dont feel like proofreading this so there are errors, I just dont care that much.

I agree. No one should say Linux is the best OS for gaming if you know what you're doing with it, it simply doesn't play any big games well. You can use things like WineX to allow you to play the games in Linux but not all games work correctly and I'm pretty sure you have to play them windowed. XP is best for gaming, but for pretty much anything else I would say Linux is a superior operating system. If most third party software and games were developed for Linux as well as Windows I would use Linux all the time. Right now I rarely use it and know very little about it, but I still have it just in case I feel like learning something.

I say Windows XP... though 2k was better

I just wich they had kept poor poor DOS... and not that shitty wannabe mini DOS "command prompt."

Windows 98 SE, or Windows 2000 Pro.
other systems are too stupid to handle games.

I go with Gerber, WIN 98 SE is good for games...but I'll be upgrading to XP anyway...hope it works...

Originally posted by Fallout2man
Windows XP Professional is the best OS for games and most other things.

Macs are good for graphic design and media work (editing movies).

Linux is good for dedicated servers and other web services.

Nuff said, Well said.

Back