Best Video Card

scatr99

Spy
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to getting a new video card and cost isn't a problem. I was wondering which is the best card currently in the market, preferably an ATI.

Also, I currently have a Geforce 4 ti and I was wondering if I'll need to buy another fan or anything once I put in the new video card. Thanks

:thumbs: GeForce 6800 Ultra or X800 XT PE(ATi).

the x800xt pe is a great choice, and itll work better w/ hl2.

estimating hl2's system requirements if i got the ATI one how smooth do you think the game would run on AMD athlon XP 2400 with 512 of ram. What would be a smooth resolution.

I realize that the game has no official system requirements but suggestions would be welcome.

scatr99 said:
estimating hl2's system requirements if i got the ATI one how smooth do you think the game would run on AMD athlon XP 2400 with 512 of ram. What would be a smooth resolution.

I realize that the game has no official system requirements but suggestions would be welcome.

Buying a X800 XT PE would be pointless. Your system wouldn't be able to properly use it, as the rest of the system would become the bottleneck. In order to properly use the X800 XT, you will need an Athlon 64 system with a GB of RAM.

A nice compromise would be getting an additional 512 stick of RAM and buying a X800 Pro or a 6800 GT.

blahblahblah said:
Buying a X800 XT PE would be pointless. Your system wouldn't be able to properly use it, as the rest of the system would become the bottleneck. In order to properly use the X800 XT, you will need an Athlon 64 system with a GB of RAM.

A nice compromise would be getting an additional 512 stick of RAM and buying a X800 Pro or a 6800 GT.

Nahhh, you need a 3.6ghz intel :p

I got a X800XT and it's damn fast. The only thing it doesn't be the 6800Ultra in is Doom 3, plus it's cheaper at most places than an Ultra, requires less power etc. Can't go wrong with either of those two cards though.

are they X800's in production because everytime i check the ATI website it says "Not in Stock"

Yeah they're in production, but every time someone gets them in stock they're gone right away. It's nearly impossible to find them, they're just so freaking popular. You could find a 6800 Ultra now much easier, but I think the X800 XT PE will be worth waiting.

sounds like I might have to look on ebay for these, and probably have to buy a new processor

Dont bother with ebay: everyone is advertising the pyramid scheme, where you pay £20 and get added to a "list" of people. The whole thing is a scam started by two or three guys to get hundreds of people to buy their cards.

far better to do what I did - get a 9800 pro for a third of the price and wait 6 months until an ATI support Shaders 3 and (in the case of the UK) someone actually has one to sell you :(

I think your best bet is to get an Athlon 64 2800+ on newegg.com for $149, then get a decent socket 754 motherboard for it, then the X800XT PE.

Do what im gonna do, wait til a couple weeks after christmas, when radeon releases the X880 or X850 (whatever it is), so youl have a 512MB video card until then il be running HL2 on my Radeon9000 128MB

I think the X880 will cost even more than $500 though, way too much imo.

Back