Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 24 30.0%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Hazar

Tank
Reaction score
well, what's your vote? (wait for poll) try to at least do a bit of research on what each year had. And by best year, I mean which year produced the greatest number of best quality games.

For my vote, I think I'd have to say 1997. This year brought us games like Fallout, Jedi Knight, Dark Forces II, Total Annihilation, Quake 2, The Curse of Monkey Island, Age of Empires, and many others that are really the foundations for many more things to come, in all genre's.

1998 was a very close runner up to it I think, with of course Half-Life and Starcraft at the forefront.

That is very tough ...

1997 - Golden Eye, Fallout, Monkey Island, Age of Empires, Dungeon Keeper, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

1998 - Metal Gear Solid, GTA, Zelda OoT, Half-Life, Starcraft.

... aaargh - it has to be 1998. You can't deny that quality.

//edit

I'm going to have to agree with the Salmon here. 2004 brought Doom 3, Far Cry, Half-Life 2, and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. You can't nearly top that with any year.

Second best year would be 2001, with GTAIII and Max Payne from Rockstar hitting the scene.

1994 gets my vote. Doom 2 and X-Com both released, alongside the original Warcraft. Epic.

-Angry Lawyer

Can sombody sum up the games in every year?

I wouldn't put Doom3 on any pros list.

Voted '98
That is very tough ...

1997 - Golden Eye, Fallout, Monkey Island, Age of Empires, Dungeon Keeper, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

... aaargh - it has to be 1998. You can't deny that quality.

//edit
Agree completely. Best back to back years in gaming. Hard to beat.

Hmm, 2004 snatches it, marked my main return to the PC Gaming Fold, HL2, Doom3, FarCry :D

hmm, for all of you saying 2004 just for hl2, d3, and farcry, what about the RPG's? strategy games? adventure games? sims? ect...

anyways, I think a truly epic gaming year will be 2007 if stuff doesn't get delayed, spore, ut2007, tf2 perhaps, supreme commander, c&c 3, and tons of others

I can't wait D:

98, half-life and starcraft, nuff said

StarCraft and Half-Life were 2 games which refined a genre...definately the best year in gaming EVER.

1998 was the best year. EVER.
No doubt about it.

Anyone who says different is wrong. Even though this is an opinion your wrong. Your completely wrong.

Stupid double post.. it said I had to wait 30 seconds to post, I did and posted this one...

Other: 1935, when monopoly was made. Uber grafix with characters that were well defined. I mean, guy with top hat gives a bunch of people some land. Pure genius.

Other: 1935, when monopoly was made. Uber grafix with characters that were well defined. I mean, guy with top hat gives a bunch of people some land. Pure genius.
Last Decade.
Not Last Century.

Half-life, starcraft, homeworld, ground control, GTA, Zelda OOT

the graph proves my prediction!

there will be a number of shitty years before another good one (hopefuly next year) arrives! D:

Three years stand out for me:

1998 - StarCraft and HL. I played neither of those back in 1998, but these are two games of amazing quality in their respective genres.

2004 - the FPS quality year. Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 (yes I loved it).

2005 - Civ 4. Okay, my involvement with the development makes me a bit biased, but Civ4 is still my favorite. Civ series has always been my favorite, and Civ4 is the best from those. The problem with 2005 is that it lacked other games I liked. Well, Additionally, it had SWAT 4, which I have to give credit to because quality tactical shooters, SP particularly, are very rare. There were other 2005 games, but just none really that get a place on my all-time favorite list. AoE3 should have, but disappointed me.

1998 - Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Homeworld, GTA, Game Boy Color ...

1998, for me as well I was at a stage in my life just before beer n serious work.

However 1994 is best year ever for me

XCom UFO. One game that has never been beaten in its genre (though JA was close, it was also a 94 game.

Wait. GTA in 1998?

Umm.....do you mean the old 2D versions? Because the first entry in the series that was any good at all was GTA 3 and that came out in like 2001.

Umm.....do you mean the old 2D versions? Because the first entry in the series that was any good at all was GTA 3 and that came out in like 2001.

Yeh, the 2d version. I had more fun playing that than GTA3 - for it's time GTA was great. And it had multiplayer, which rocked (much LAN fun was had at uni)

Yeh, the 2d version. I had more fun playing that than GTA3 - for it's time GTA was great. And it had multiplayer, which rocked (much LAN fun was had at uni)

yes, GTA2 was an amazing game. I never played the 3d ones until san andreas and was dissapointed.

Do yourself a favor and rent/borrow/steal GTA III. It was, by far, the best of any 3D GTA. Vice City sucked ass and San Andreas sucked more plus a little ball.

I'm enjoying Saints Row more than GTA3 (sue me :p). I also thought GTA2 was good, theotherguy. The gangs and retro look worked well.

I remember playing the original GTA on the PSX. That was pure torture. :x The only redeeming quality was the menu music. Fortunately I had (and still have) the pc version. :p

98 represent. Fo shizzle.

(even though I didn't get most games from that year until atleast 2000...)

'Course it's 1998. HL, Starcraft and OoT are the best of their genres.

Well... maybe not HL, because HL2 tops it.

Gaming-wise, I've been playing since the late-80's D:

-Angry Lawyer

But this is last decade D:

Do yourself a favor and rent/borrow/steal GTA III. It was, by far, the best of any 3D GTA. Vice City sucked ass and San Andreas sucked more plus a little ball.

GTA3 is boring and stale compared to Vice City. I tried to play it the other day and had to stop myself falling asleep.

Back