Beware of flying Teen chunks

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Woman sues family of dead teen due to injuries sustained when his body parts hit her after he was hit by train

An appeals court in Illinois has decided that a dead Chicago teen can be sued for injuries caused by his own flying body parts. The 18-year-old almost-passenger ran in front of a train in an attempt to catch another train and was hit by an Amtrak going 70mph. A big chunk of his body was thrown onto a platform 100 feet away where it knocked down a 58-year-old woman, breaking her leg and wrist. The court decided that the teen's death was "reasonably foreseeable" and allowed the woman to sue his estate, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The woman's lawyer says that while details of the case are "very peculiar and gory and creepy," it is a clear case of negligence. "If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she says.

she has a bone to pick with the teen's family

http://www.newser.com/story/136459/dead-accident-victim-to-be-sued-over-flying-body-parts.html

this can only happen in america the most litigious country in the world

You sometimes have to go to court for insurance purposes. There's times where it's two friends on both sides. eg: "I wrecked into them, but my insurance company refuses to pay, so he had to sue in order to get them to."

Generally insurance has it covered. I'm assuming he had life insurance policy that applies to harm to another person, or else she's just trying to get the medical bills alone paid for which I'd venture to say yes they're liable for. If the train had derailed and killed him and threw his body into her then it would be Amtrak that would be liable- however in this case it was the teen's fault.

I think this lady just snapped and couldn't take it anymore.

Other than that...one less dumb person in this world

That is one seriously pathetic thing to do.... unfortunate we lime in a 'blame' society...

Anyway, Stern, where do you get these stories from? lol

lime? um.... yeah.... *live*.... sodding beer impairing my writing skills :S

The woman is also seeking damages from a nearby musician who happened to play a slide whistle at the moment the teen's dismembered corpse interrupted her passage, causing her great humiliation, citing that the hilarity of the incident was "reasonably foreseeable."

Ugh. Horrible.

Also suing... wow. What a bitch.

Honestly, I'm siding with the woman. I sure as shit would be pissed off if some idiot willingly ran in front of a train and threw his torso at me, breaking several bones in my body. Why should she have to pay the medical bills for what he (admittedly unintentionally) did to her? If a guy is speeding down a highway and flips his car, kills himself and someone else, is he not responsible for both his death and the other person's? Why should this be any different? Just because you didn't mean for it to happen, doesn't mean you're absolved of responsibility, especially when the accident is born out of complete negligence.

Honestly, I'm siding with the woman. I sure as shit would be pissed off if some idiot willingly ran in front of a train and threw his torso at me, breaking several bones in my body. Why should she have to pay the medical bills for what he (admittedly unintentionally) did to her? If a guy is speeding down a highway and flips his car, kills himself and someone else, is he not responsible for both his death and the other person's? Why should this be any different? Just because you didn't mean for it to happen, doesn't mean you're absolved of responsibility, especially when the accident is born out of complete negligence.

Exactly. I don't get why you other people can't understand this. Lawsuits dont mean personal malice it's just a business practice.

I would think the last thing on my mind after being maimed by a bloodied chunk of teenager who exploded after being hit by a train would be money. I think that'd be the last thing on my mind for a long time. I'd probably stay in my wheelchair, staring at the ground with a glazed look in my eyes for a good five years or so.

I think there's more to this story than what we're seeing. I have a feeling medical bills are involved. It cost an astronomical amount for my broken leg as an outpatient. Three days in the hospital and done cost 54,000 dollars. Lucky me I had workers' compensation insurance paying for it, but getting hit by train-propelled body parts may not even be something her insurance is willing to cover. I'd definitely sue if I had to just to avoid bankruptcy.

Absolutely Maestro. The article says she's suing for injuries received. Raz, the second you saw your medical bill, the money would jump from last thing to first thing on your mind in a heartbeat. Even if she had great insurance she'd probably be paying several thousands of dollars out of pocket because some numbnuts couldn't fathom the consequences of having to take a later train ride home.

Exactly. I don't get why you other people can't understand this. Lawsuits dont mean personal malice it's just a business practice.

I get where you're coming from, but the dead guy's family probably don't see it this way.

I get where you're coming from, but the dead guy's family probably don't see it this way.

That's how I see it really... that's my perspective of the whole thing. The dead guy's family. I mean your son is scooped up in bits and pieces and now you're sued because your sons bits and pieces were instantly accelerated at great speeds towards another human being.

It'd be pretty traumatizing.

So is getting hit with said body parts and getting the bill that results. It's an ugly thing from all sides, but the fact is that the guy who got hit by the train isn't around to pay the bills, and someone has to. It's not fun to deal with a lawsuit following your son's death, but neither is losing your house on top of life-altering injuries because someone stepped in front of a train.

So is getting hit with said body parts and getting the bill that results. It's an ugly thing from all sides, but the fact is that the guy who got hit by the train isn't around to pay the bills, and someone has to. It's not fun to deal with a lawsuit following your son's death, but neither is losing your house on top of life-altering injuries because someone stepped in front of a train.

I just reread the article. He's 18, so only his estate should be liable. Only his life insurance benefits or other assets in his name can be taken for this. His parents can't be sued directly for their seperate assets. He is his own person at that age, the adult to lay the blame on. If he were a minor it'd be a different story.

Haha. You crazy Americans and your lack of free health care.

Back