Big dilema...

Core407

Reaction score
I think this is a problem a lot of people face in this type of situation. Basically, it's very hard to find workers for a mod that's trying to establish itself without divulging too much info about it.

Right now I'm working on the game design doc for a concept that I thought up of, but it's very different and very hard to get people to pay any real attention to it without releasing any information about it. But if I start listing some of the game mechanics, I'm worried that it'll get ripped off and I'll have no way of gettign it back.

Any ideas?

Hmm I've never worked on a mod or anything similar but I think perhaps you could contact the appropriate people working on other mods that are nearing, or past, completion? Just an idea.

Hmm I've never worked on a mod or anything similar but I think perhaps you could contact the appropriate people working on other mods that are nearing, or past, completion? Just an idea.

I was thinking of doing that, but it seems a bit intrusive, no? I think I'm just going to release the game doc on a couple forums and just let people have at it. I really just want to see the concept fleshed out because if done correctly, it can create a completely new sub-genre for weapon-based fighters.

What areas do you already have people for / are you working on yourself?

What areas do you already have people for / are you working on yourself?

None at all. I'm working on the whole concept of the game and trying to fine balance everything.

The biggest hurdle right now is in the way the player will control the game. I'm still fine tuning it, but it's very difficult to get an understanding of how it actually plays when there's no build of it.

I'll just tell you that this game is more console oriented, but that's mainly due to the fact that it can provide actual revenue.

See, Microsoft is getting big on indie developers and their Xbox Live Arcade, which is pretty much smaller titles that people download for a fee ($5/10/15) and MS is always looking for submissions.

This mod is more of a showcase than anything else because I don't think the Source engine will be capable of some of the things I'm setting out to do. UE3 engine would probably be better suited, but I'm not an expert on the Source engine so for all I know I'm dead wrong.

Lemme just tell that combat is done through all four face buttons (A, B, X, Y)

Edit: It's also 1vs1 and it's more of an original sport than anything else. There's no story, theres no real enemies (except for 1) and theres only 1 weapon the game. The way everything is gone about however, is a bit different. (I think of it as more refined)

I see what you mean. Having that spark of inspiration .. and they trying to protect it .. but it is impossible. At some point you need to confide in somebody.

This is what I am doing right now, maybe this structure could help you?

--

Me and one other person are maping, and coding the things most immediately important to the first hour or so of our singleplayer mod. Once we are as far as we can get without help, we are going to recruit people to help us finish the beginning.

Depending on how things go concerning that early part of the game .. we'll be able to adapt our plan .. expectations .. tighten the group and start moving forward with the rest of the project.

By doing what I describe .. I hope to weed out all the guys who either don't have enough to to work on the mod or don't really have the drive/skill they advertise.

no need to reveal core mechanics about the game right away if you don't want to. thought telling people about the games theme is a great way to get ppl joining. Saying this will get people whose interests match the game to join your mod. Like you said "sport", by saying that single word, you've helped interest a few ppl that are interested in sport type games, and you've also illiminated people who hate sport games. Expand a little more on the theme and you'll get people interested.

So yeah, it's all in your sales pitch. Take films for example. Look at the back of a dvd case. read the description. "Some guy travels back in time and kills hitler before world war 2 starts, and then travels back to the future to discover a whole new world, but is it for the better?" Something like that you may find (or something better than what i made up :D). That tells you nothing about the film really, apart from it involves hitler, alternative realities and time travel. What it doesn't tell you is things like, does the war still happen, how the guy travels in time, and plot twists. If you think about it enough, i'm sure you could think up something that best describes your game without saying anything about how it plays.

and finally, some gave developers just like to know what skills the leader brings to the table, because it's hard to work for someone who does nothing but mess with a design doc and then classes themselves as a game developer because of it... i've had the displeasure of working for someone like that, and it never ends well

"Some guy travels back in time and kills hitler before world war 2 starts, and then travels back to the future to discover a whole new world, but is it for the better?" Something like that you may find (or something better than what i made up :D).
Isn't that the plot of Red Alert? :p

I'd say just program the mechanics of the game yourself using the base art.. doesnt matter how ugly the game looks, once the gameplay is going good you should be able to attract some good artists.

Core, I'm not sure on your argument that Source can't do everything you want, ;), but I will agree that UnrealEd 3 may be a lot easier to use. Regardless, these guys are right.

What I would do is write it out, as much as you can. DO NOT post the design document anywhere. Find an artist to draw you up some diagrams. Finding someone who shares your ideas is best, but there are still a lot of artists out there who do quick contract art for the experience. An idea that was told to me recently that had never occured to me, was to post fliers around the colleges in the area. It has a wide potential, and at most college kids will want a few bucks.

I'd also say you should at least start to program it yourself. Even with the art and design work done, I don't think it would be the easiest thing to find a good programmer.

if i were you, i'd just post the whole damn thing on here and let us critique it

also, try and build a flow chart of what needs doing, and then by doing that you can see what info needs to be released and when. like

Character Design > Models > Animations > Code that applies to characters

in step one, all you need is an artist to draw you some references, and thus you need to provide them with requirements for each character.

step two, all you need is a modeler to make the models designed in step one. they need no other info other than what spawns from step one.

step three, you need to give a few specifics about movement to the animator.

step four, anything the coder needs to know, you give to him.

you can't do step 2 without step 1 being completed first, so you can release info as and when you need to, telling an artist info that the coder requires is useless, so it's pointless to give that out to them. let everyone concentrate on their step, and your sorted

Get a coder, get him to make the pure basics of your mod.

Publically release, and buil on it from there.

"Control layout #1:

Left Analog Stick: Moves characters
Right Analog Stick: Camera
Left Trigger: Dash/Sticky Feet (Dependent on Evolutionary State)
Right Trigger: Jump
Left Trigger + Right Trigger: Block
A Button: Lower Attack (Legs)
B Button: Right Attack (Right Arm)
Y Button: High Attack (Head)
X Button: Left Attack (Left Arm)

Gameplay Concepts:

String attacks: Ability to combo individual attacks. (+ Fast - Less powerful) (Explination: Once an attack button has been activated, a 1 second time window opens to combo the attack - repeat.)

Sticky feet: Ability for wall/ceiling running (+ Evading - No Dash) (Only for final evolution)

Dash Move: Ability to dash, allowing for quick evades or attacks (+ Fast - Defenses are lowered) (Explination: Left Trigger + directional pad = move in said direction. up/down/left/right ONLY)

Camera System Prototype 1: Third person camera system that automatically adjusts itself (with manual override). (Explination: Camera will stay 45 points from the character and will autoadjust itself if the enemy character is off screen) (Manual Override is handled through the right analog stick)

Evolutionary System: Three evolve states:

Original State: Body is transparent and has a darker outline around the character. As the character continues to fight, his body will fill up with a black liquid. Once the liquid fills up the entire body (100%), the player evolves into the next state.

Mid state - Dark outline will fade and the model will evolve into the next state (10 seconds to evolve/can still play the game/considered 100% second state), which causes the character to become covered in a black leathery texture) Dash ability is unlocked at this stage.

Final State - Once the final state is reached, a layer of black armor unfolds from feet to head. (explination: | -> / -> - -> \ -> | repeat) Unlocks sticky feet, but takes away dash.

HUD Reworked: HUD will not be present and all important information will be presented on the wall.

Navigation System: Players are capable of scrolling through options and selecting said option with A button, but are also allowed to select with the face buttons. (Nav system will be presented in-game) (crysis for example).

Clan mode: (Incomplete)

4 Divisons: US Play, Euro Play, Japanese Play & International Play

4 Sub-divions per divison: North/East/South/West (International Play Excluded)

Players create a unit, which is comprised of 10 team members.
--------------
There's the WIP. Feel free to ask any questions...

if there is no hud where is the navigation system? if you mean the navigation system is on "The Wall", what is "The Wall", where is it, and what exactly is it's function?

if there is no hud where is the navigation system? if you mean the navigation system is on "The Wall", what is "The Wall", where is it, and what exactly is it's function?

That thing is pretty incomplete and a bit confusing.

The basic concept goes like this: Athird person online videogame sport where two players fight each other with swords in a 30x120x10 room and the winner is determined when the player evolves to the final state and reaches full health possible.

When you make a hit on the enemy, your sword absorbs a percentage of health, which is displayed through volume. The more contact you make, the more liquid inside your body fills up. Once you hit full capacity, you evolve to the next state, which allows for a new special move (dash/ dash attack) and a leather-like suit that offers more protection.

The reason why I said the HL2 engine might not be capable is that the game must be able to render blood with volume and allow it to build up. I know this was done in Postal 2, but that was on the Unreal 2 engine. Basically the blood would stay for the entire match and would have actual physics and what-not.

The arena is going to be pretty basic, but will have a minimalistic look to it, but will put off a futuristic vibe. (Yes, I know what it looks like already and have pictures) When I mentioned the HUD being displayed on a wall, I meant that it would be on one of the walls and all it would display is the round, win count and timeclock.

Hope that helped!

Back