Bink videos

Smawg

Reaction score
Is it half-life2 or do the graphics on the bink videos suck? I mean, the graphics look better in the filmed version of the e3 2003 video. Hm,m. weird.

someone please clarify this.

er.. they look the same? Except you'll be able to notice flaws more easily in high-res

Smawg said:
Is it half-life2 or do the graphics on the bink videos suck? I mean, the graphics look better in the filmed version of the e3 2003 video. Hm,m. weird.

someone please clarify this.
They look better on the filmed version because you're seeing it at a much more compressed size, therefore aliased edges are smoothed out and the quality of textures appears to be better.

They look great. I can't tell the difference :S

Smawg said:

I don't think they sucked at all. I want more binks!

The pixel clarity of the binks gives a false sense of pixel-perfect rendering, especially since the crawly edges are visible, but I'm sure the bink compression makes the textures not so nice as the real thing.

yeah, i think the rez on those binks are either 800x600 or around that

I thought the HDR demo was amazing quality. And many report that HL2 is on par with that.

they are awesome on the blink videos. your expectations are too high

sHm0zY said:
they are awesome on the blink videos. your expectations are too high

I thought you went to Valve today? Or was that in August? Who was going today :eek:

Also bear in mind that the binks are running without antialiasing on.

i'm currently running in 1280x1024 pixels desktop. maybe thats why?

Smawg said:
i'm currently running in 1280x1024 pixels desktop. maybe thats why?
No, because when you run the bink, it reverts back to the 1024*768 resolution.

Hey, speaking about binks... the new ones should be out soon, don't you think?

Abom said:
No, because when you run the bink, it reverts back to the 1024*768 resolution.

maybe his expectations are too high then :p

im quite happy that there are alot of HL2 fans here at the moment, cause there seems to be a growing collection of members who sign up to blast critisim at the game, most annoyingly when...

1. they either dont appreciate truely how much effort goes into games like this.

2. they think the game should be better looking than it seems, possibly because all of the hype and bloated expectations , just misinterpretation?.

or 3. they just like to crit anyway, cause they resent seeing the 11one11 game of all time coming to PC, when theirs is either not good enough to handle the game and/or could be console owners who now wish they had spent that money on their PC instead of console games.:p

Well now I know that these aren't the highest quality binks. Because whenever a flair is shot or something, you can see the little box around it. So I know it's not actuall game graphics.

clarky003 said:
maybe his expectations are too high then :p

im quite happy that there are alot of HL2 fans here at the moment, cause there seems to be a growing collection of members who sign up to blast critisim at the game, most annoyingly when...

1. they either dont appreciate truely how much effort goes into games like this.

2. they think the game should be better looking than it seems, possibly because all of the hype and bloated expectations , just misinterpretation?.

or 3. they just like to crit anyway, cause they resent seeing the 11one11 game of all time coming to PC, when theirs is either not good enough to handle the game and/or could be console owners who now wish they had spent that money on their PC instead of console games.:p

I personally think valve just rushed up with the counter strike thing for a nice MP excuse. HL2 looks so much more polished and graphically superior than it, that I would seriously mistake the cs:s stuff as modified Q3 graphics with source engine like water.

lans said:
I personally think valve just rushed up with the counter strike thing for a nice MP excuse. HL2 looks so much more polished and graphically superior than it, that I would seriously mistake the cs:s stuff as modified Q3 graphics with source engine like water.

Most likely they will update the graphics later, we wouldn't want HL2 delayed again now would we? :D

SubKamran said:
Most likely they will update the graphics later, we wouldn't want HL2 delayed again now would we? :D

And most likely modelers will make "high-defininition" models to use source to its full extent

dude, the 2003 binks are old, they had alot of placeholders, yes, that flare was in-game graphics, the box was around it because the transparency of the texture was a little too low, keep in mind, ALOT of things were just placeholders in the 2003 binks (like the zombie blood, the crowbar animations, the MP5's, etc.)

I think it's a pretty good call to say that CounterStrike: Source will be updated graphically through patches, just like cs:cz has been. I wouldn't worry about the cs:s graphics if I were you, Valve are solid with updates.

*BINK* *BINK* What is going on here? *BINK* *BINK*

if anyone knows what i'm talking about, they get a cookie ;p

lol peks..

I think the BINKS will come out roughly when Doom3 comes out, this woiuld make sense at it would get ppl thinking about HL2 while thinking about playing doom3 , and keep ppl reminded ;)

Btw i think doom3 looks gr8 =-)

KurtCobain said:
lol peks..

I think the BINKS will come out roughly when Doom3 comes out, this woiuld make sense at it would get ppl thinking about HL2 while thinking about playing doom3 , and keep ppl reminded ;)

Btw i think doom3 looks gr8 =-)

Yeah, and the binks better be 1024 x 768 or higher because we need more persuasion that valve has better things up it's sleeve, if it wants us to get over the gorgeous Doom 3 graphics just in time before HL2's release. ;)

Back