Bink vs. Quicktime for trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chili pepper

Reaction score
Bink trailers gives you large hi-res display and is very stable.

Quicktime trailers tend to have a tiny picture and are very crash-prone. QT often freezes up my whole computer and I have to reboot. But then I have yet to see a product made by Apple that isn't crap.

It's ridiculous how much better Bink is than Quicktime for displaying video game trailers. About 10 times better. Apple might be more suitable for Hollywood movie trailers, but it is still very crash and freeze-prone and the movies are a lot smaller. Windows Media Player is more stable for Hollywood movie trailers and gives you bigger and better picture quality. Real Player is better than Quicktime but not good as Windows media Player.

That leaves Quicktime out in the cold with no competitive edge for anything. One of the worst software products ever created. I have no idea why it remains popular.

Valve made a wise choice to go with Bink for their game movies.

I think they chose Quicktime because Quicktime paid them to? Anyway, Quicktime is to videos as Mac is to computers. That's how gay it is.

Yeah, but in Quicktime you have a lot more control over the movie. I still prefer the Bink videos because I love the full-screen, high quality greatness.

The controls are one of the things that causes Quicktime to crash. Everytime I try to adjust the volume control in QT it locks up my computer.

ive never had any problems at all with QT, i find it to be a helava lot more stable then WMP and that real one crap

Originally posted by CommieX
Yeah, but in Quicktime you have a lot more control over the movie. I still prefer the Bink videos because I love the full-screen, high quality greatness.

Same here. I would love the full 25 minute moive in Bink it would be really cool. But it would mean i wouldnt be able to go to chosen point. However since these vids are coming out bit by bit. That doesnt matter.

So far its bink on quality. QT on control

What about Window media player? I hate to say i like something with windows in the name but so far ive found it to give the best of both words. Full screen and control. However full screen is normally quite low res.

Real Player is better than Quicktime but not good as Windows media Player.

lol bs, imo.... I have never had any luck with the real networks crap in years (once they made it all fancy, nothing works right)

however, I agree QT is excellent for Hollywood stuff, like bmwfilms.com, great sound and quality, and Valve made a damn good decision to go with Bink, it's like watching a DVD (sometimes better)

Windows Media offers by far the best quality per megabyte. Of course you'd alienate anyone who doesn't use Windows by choosing it...

I prefer quicktime. I have a farely good computer and I can't watch movies in fullscreen. Even small videos look good in full screen. But thats just my comment on this.

Quicktime trailers tend to have a tiny picture and are very crash-prone.

Quicktime movies can be encoded to any resolution the author wishes. The reason these bink videos look so good is because bink sort of cheats, instead of resizing the video to match the current resolution when going fullscreen, it just changes your resolution to match that of the video, that way the image quality doesn’t degrade due to stretching.

Also regarding QuickTime crashes on your computer, that is an issue with your computer. I can’t recall the last time QuickTime crashed on me when I tried to adjust the volume or use any of the movie controls.

Kudos to valve though on going with bink, because watching these videos is pretty much like being in game, as they have the video bitrate cranked up high enough for there not to be any noticeable compression artifacts on the image, also they don’t have to deal with the image stretching to meet peoples different resolutions.

I think it's a great technique that Bink changes your resolution to increase the video size without decreasing the quality. This is exactly why Vulva and 3DRealms chose it I guess... :)

Okay, Guess What You ****ing Assholes!

DIE WINDOWS USERS DIE!!! :sniper: :LOL:

Windows = :devil: Apple = :cool:

OKAY U DUMBASSES FIRST OF ALL THE APPLE G5 IS THE BEST COMPUTER EVER MADE FOR HOME USE... WHY? BECAUSE IT HAS A 65 PROCESSOR WHICH IS ABOUT 5 TIMES FASTER THAN A PENTIUM FOUR, 2 GIGS OF RAM WHICH IS PROBABLY 15 TIMES THE AMOUNT OF YOUR PUNY LITTLE 5 MEGS OF FLASH RAM AND IT HAS A MINIMUM OF A 2,000 X 1756 RESOLUTION AT SHDXVGA AND FOR YOU STUPID ASSWIPES THAT IS 'SUPER HIGH DEFINITION XTRA VGA'. EHH? SO IS WINDOWS BETTER? NO

OH AND DID I MENTION THE WIRELESS KEYBOARD, MOUSE, WIRELESS CARD, BLUETOOTH, AND WIRELESS STERIO SYNC ALL INCLUDED INSIDE THEN .25 INCH MONITOR? OO MUSTVE FORGOT THAT... OOO AND THE NEW CROSS PLATFORM CONVERSION SOFTWARE? WHOOPS FORGOT FORGOT

OO AND GUESS WHAT DUMFUKZ U CAN USE FULLSCREEN IN QUICKTIME ALL YOU DO IS PRESS CONTROL+F FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE STILL USING THE CRAP BOX BILL GATES MADE :LOL: OMG AND WAIT IF URE COMPUTER CANT HANDLE FULL SCREEN URE SUPPOSED TA INSTALL THE FULLSCREEN PLUGIN FOR QUICKTIME!!! DUH

WOW SO MANY REASONS TO GET A MAC AND DITCH URE STUPID WINDOWS BOX

OO AND WHOOPS ANY PROGRAM MADE IN A WINDOWS IS COMPATIBLE IN A MAC WOW I BET U DUMB****Z DIDNT NO THAT DID U??

:eek:

Whoa!

Nice first post. Probably your last. :cheers:

Anyone notice this thread was made in 2003?

what kind of person revives threads this old..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back