Bioshock Freezes/Locks Up/Requires Restart

L

lordmitchell14

I bought Bioshock the other day and knew that my computer could at least handle the game on low settings (expecting a bit of lag). I started it up, fell into the ocean bla, bla...then once i saw the first splicer kill the guy when you first arrive in Rapture, the game completely froze, as well as my computer (alt+tab, ctrl+alt+del, windows key all did nothing, no sound - complete shutdown). I restarted my computer, being the only thing that I could do and started the game up again...

I opened Bioshock again and this time I started quicksaving every minute. After about 5 minutes the game froze again...I am getting sick of restarting and waiting for my computer to boot, then waiting for bioshock to open and load my latest save file - to be honest I'd rather give up on bioshock altogether.

I have 2.8GHz processor, 6600GT gpu, windows xp, 1.5gb ram...and uhhh ask if you wanna know more...

Anyone know why the hell Bioshock freezes on my computer?!

Sounds a bit like it might be an overheating problem. If you're already on low settings, you could download Rivatuner or ATItool and see if there's a way to speed up your GPU fans.

Try blowing out all the dust in your computer if you haven't done so in a while. It usually helps.

And not with your mouth, get a can of compressed air.

Compressed_air.jpg

A can of compressed air? Lol a hair dryer is more powerful and doesn't involve buying stoof. My sister's ;)dryer has a cool blow option, so I'll try that, I used to use it while playing Neverwinter Nights 2 which is the God of high performance games.

I bought two fans for my case a couple of weeks ago...I guess they're shit - or I'll try reposition them.

Thanks for the tip - I'll see what happens then post back :)

Back