Black Box Cancelled

O

Orisit

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/790/790013p1.html

New Half-Life 2 content packaged strictly in orange.
by IGN Staff

US, May 18, 2007 - Half-Life 2: The Black Box is no more. The package, which was to offer Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2, has been officially cancelled by Valve. The Orange Box will be the only collection offered when Episode 2 releases this fall. Priced $10 higher than the Black Box, the Orange Box adds the original Half-Life 2 and HL2: Episode 1.

"The Black Box has been cancelled," said Doug Lombardi, Valve's director of marketing. "We're going to have one package, The Orange Box, available on the PC (US$49.99) as well as the 360 and PS3 (US$ 59.99). In addition to the three new products -- Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life: Episode Two -- The Orange Box will also contain the full version of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One. Those who purchase the PC version of The Orange Box will get three separate Steam product codes: One for the three new games, one for HL2, and one for Episode One. This way a PC Orange Box owner can give away their Half-Life 2 or Episode One unused Steam product codes if they don't need a copy of those games. We are excited to deliver the highest value of new gaming content ever offered in one box."

You'll get a better sense of what your $50 buys you next week when IGN examines the contents of The Orange Box. Look for hands-on impressions of Episode 2, an update on Portal, and a new feature on Team Fortress 2.

I'm kind of upset by this, but if the black box was going to be $40 anyway I don't really mind.

I get confused between the two boxes, but for a second there I thought the box coming to the 360 had been scrapped. Phew!

Weird...have they mentioned how purchasing the games online will work? Can I buy the three new games all at once for 40-50 bucks or have they not said anything about that yet?

"Give away" my product codes? What kind of communism is that?!

That is really odd, surely the biggest market for the PC is for people who already own Episode One and HL2? Perhaps they felt having two different packages out there would confuse people. A cynical person would say that they are trying to force us to use Steam.

It's simple, Valve just wants to save money by only pumping out one box.

AH!!!! This is the one time in my entire life that I am incredibly ******* mad at valve!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll buy the 360 version just so I don't pay for games I already have!!!!!!!

I'm sure you can buy each game individually from Steam

Wow that sucks. Seriously, why the **** are i being forced to pay for two games i already own, just so i can get the rest?

It's great! My friend wants Counter-Strike: Source (which will come with Half Life 2) so I will just give him that, and we play!

I'm over-joyed.

It's great! My friend wants Counter-Strike: Source (which will come with Half Life 2) so I will just give him that, and we play!

I'm over-joyed.

You only used to get CSS when HL2 first came out on disc

Is this legit? Because the new HD2900XT cards come with a blackbox coupon :|

Is this legit? Because the new HD2900XT cards come with a blackbox coupon

Yeah it is. Sorry. Where did you buy the card? If it was a store then maybe you can ask for something in return and say you don't want rhe black box coupon.

I certainly didn't. But I know it does, so there are people with the coupons.

They will probably get the orange box for it though. Or indeed only the key to the 3game combo.

Seems like a media stunt really. They just want to be the first to release a box with the most full games in it.

What the serious f*** is this? :| I sure as hell don't want to buy HL2 and Ep1 over again.

Either way i dont care really, just gimme ANY BOX that has HL2: Episode 2, TF2 and Portal in it and ill buy it.

I suppose HL2 + Ep1 for 10 bucks to give to a friend isn't a bad deal. Just weird they take away your options.

Shame all my friends already have HL2 and EP1. But this F***** sucks i can't see why they can't have 2 boxes EA publishing them.i am going to complain to Valve. They better put those new graphical effects for Half Life 2 in that box otherwise i am not buying

O. What a waste of money to buy orange box.

They better put those new graphical effects for Half Life 2 in that box otherwise i am not buying

If there is a graphic update in Half-life2, the update will be deliver through Steam to everyone. It is still needless to rebuy all the games. What an idiot decision made by Valve. I'd better wait for the release of EP: Four and not buying EP: Two and Three, since after all, you are buying the old ones.

I think Valve lied to us all.

This is an extremely evil move. Valve is mean. 50 dollars? My god, Valve really killed episodic distribution.

I think it was ok with episode one. Less than 20 dollars for 3 hours of pure hl fun every 6 months\a year? **** yeah.

But waiting more than a year and paying 50 dollars for another episode is bullshit.

"But episode 2 will be longer! But it will have portal and tf2!!!"

Episode 2 will be only slightly longer according to interviews and informations. Portals and Tf2 are cool but I don't give a damn unless they are going to be a gift (like tfc and dmc for hl1). At least give me the option to buy episode two as a stand-alone product!

50 dollars, damn.

40 bucks was too much.

If they are not going to sell episode two separately, I'm going to hope for a 50 bucks episode three with all the games included.

This is an extremely evil move. Valve is mean. 50 dollars? My god, Valve really killed episodic distribution.

I think it was ok with episode one. Less than 20 dollars for 3 hours of pure hl fun every 6 months\a year? **** yeah.

But waiting more than a year and paying 50 dollars for another episode is bullshit.

"But episode 2 will be longer! But it will have portal and tf2!!!"

Episode 2 will be only slightly longer according to interviews and informations. Portals and Tf2 are cool but I don't give a damn unless they are going to be a gift (like tfc and dmc for hl1). At least give me the option to buy episode two as a stand-alone product!

50 dollars, damn.

40 bucks was too much.

If they are not going to sell episode two separately, I'm going to hope for a 50 bucks episode three with all the games included.

EVIL>>>>!!! LMFAO

110% with you on this. Valve made only one mistake, releasing the prices early. If people never knew the prices to begin with no one would be in there pity outcry right now.

To all the people out there saying they don't want to pay for what they already have. If you honestly don't see how GENEROIS VALVE is for making 3 of these games all one package for ****ing 50$? 50$ ****ing dollars? They could have EASLY charged a lot more.

For the poeple saying dont force me to buy games im not interested in. If you only look out for yourself valve would not have a huge communited like it has now and therefore would not be making Half-Life games. Shut your mouth and pay for the most feature packed game box of all time and cheapest.

Lets see:

Half-Life 2 -Old (18-20 Hours)
Half-Life 2 Episode 1 -Old (4-5 Hours)
Half-Life 2 Episode 2 -New (8-9 Hours)
Portal -New (4-6 Hours)
Team Fortress Two -New (Infinite)

Commentary On Episode 1,2,portal, and TFC2. With doubles the playtime on all those games. Added Average of 33 Hours.

Oh and btw if I'm not mistaken the 360 and PS3 versions of Half-Life 2 have HDR I'm guessing this will update the PC versions.

So lets just say your paying what every OTHER company would charge.

Episode 2 - $30 (every expansion pack known to man is $30 no matter the size)
Portal - $20 (more of a mini game that companies release they always charge this price for those games.
Team Fortress 2 - This is tricky it could be a full $40 retail and I'm guessing if this was EA, or any other company that's what they would charge. Full fledged Mp game.

Hummm $90 retail price, even EA or other company's told Valve what they were doing and that they were crazy to sell this together for such a low price.

But no Valve knows their fans and it knows that they will appreciate the ****ing offer. But losers like some people on the forum cant ****ing see it and its SICK.

Bash one of the GREATEST and MOST GENERIOS companies of all ****ing time because they want their games to reach out to more people. Because they want less confusion, because they are charging you $40 less then what they could have. Keep yelling at them for the updates they keep giving their games, the loads of free content. Keep ****ing whining and yelling about your precious $10 that they are charging you more. MORE? Are you people blind or delusional...

fingers crossed that the exchange rate remains 2:1 in the uk

?25 pounds seems fair if it creaps higher then might reconsider.

Please no more messing valve, cheers

Won't they have EPISODE TWO seperately on STEAM? But that is kind of stupid to make everyone pay for Half Life 2 and Episode One all over again. I def. won't be doing that so unless they come out with a seperate Episode 2 deal on Steam, I will not be buying or playing it until they do so.

If I buy the orange box, because I already own HL2, could I give my dad HL2 nad than I use EP1, 2, and the other games?

how can Orange box and Black box cause confusion? cant tell which is for console and which is for pc?
also its only 10 bux more its not something to whine about.

cant tell which is for console and which is for pc?

Well, there's not much else for me to get confused about is there? No, I just always forgot which one was being released for which. Whilst I know orange and black are the typical HL colours, they aren't very definitive for the platforms they are coming out on. :p

Is there anyway to just buy Ep. 2, Portal, and TF2 if you use Steam? Because I already have HL2 and Ep. 1....

Nuts, I don't want to pay for games I already have, but i want to have the entire saga in box form.

People are getting this wrong, The Orange and Black box were originally planed for both Consoles and PC. That was 6 different products. Now its 3.

People are getting this wrong, The Orange and Black box were originally planed for both Consoles and PC. That was 6 different products. Now its 3.

wrong, the Black box was intended for pc which included the 3 new games. The Orange box was intended only for console to include hl2,ep1 and the 3 new games.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I think PC users had a choice between Orange and Black Box, while consoles only got Orange (i.e. was 4, now 3)

Back