Black Mesa Source Update!

Dev

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is old news, but I just checked out the Black Mesa: Source website, and they have updated since I last checked...

c2a4_mediarelease_005.jpg

loader_beauty.jpg

rapidcore_002.jpg

I was rather impressed with the animation render for the bullsquid they put up. Pretty good. :)

Use HDR, and it won't be out until 2010.

/EDIT Imho, screw needs more work. If you release maps like they look now, I'm not going to complain.

Nice. I think all they need to do is fill the maps with more stuff. Shot 1 and 3 above really feels a bit empty.... although very pretty. Some more props like mainframes, boxes and such and we are good to go.

Wow, cool. First shot looks pretty bland, too "clean" if you ask me. Second and third looks very good though, no complains.

I was so confused when I saw the third picture til I realized it was an MP map :p That explains why I couldn't recognize it but I was going mental! "WHAT ****ING PART OF BLACK MESA IS THAT?!?!"

I was so confused when I saw the third picture til I realized it was an MP map :p That explains why I couldn't recognize it but I was going mental! "WHAT ****ING PART OF BLACK MESA IS THAT?!?!"

Haha, same here until I read in the lower left corner "Rapidcore" and I was "Ahh... uh, okay.".
I've never played HLDM that much so I recognize the MP maps.

More images at their website.

c2a4_mediarelease_006.jpg

rapidcore_001.jpg

joop_beauty.jpg

The utility droid looks awesome. I wonder if we'll get to see it for more that 10 seconds this time around.

The droid is very cool, Sources normal mapping is bodged though, all the detail in the normal map from their hi poly version will probably be barely noticeable in the engine.

<3

Most impressive mod on the horizon for me. The Loader looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in motion. I'd love for them to release a demo of the opening from the tram up to the Test Chamber. Just to see what it feels like. I would hapoily play the sequence over and over again. I know there was a lot of pressure from people asking them to port Uplink as the demo but I believe they didn't want the bother of even more content to port, which is understandable. However, a section they need to make anyway...

How does the top picture work? Isnt Mr freeman supposed to crawl down a pippe seems a bit small :p

The models look like some nice work, the Bullsquid animations are well thought out.

The new map shots are... less exciting. I never thought I'd say that I prefer HL1 Goldsrc's Residue Processing to anything, but I do, and it's this Work In Process remake of Residue Processing itself. Sure, short of ripping RP out and starting again, i'm never going to fall head over hills for HL's most boring chapter, but as Xirow says, it just looks a little 'cartoony', like an exaggerated stereotype of the kind of area it's supposed to present. Seems far, far cleaner even than the already cartoon-style HL original. I'm not an expert, but the lighting in the first room just dosen't look right to me. The main floor just seems too well lit to me, and the green lighting seems to clash with such brightness... The lighting in the original shot looks a lot more atmospheric.

In the conveyor room, I like the conveyor itself, but those boxes look out of place (but then, they've been uglying up a few media releases now, so I assume they're staying), and the door and accompanying sign look like a rush job. Which is all very fair and well for a mod, just not what we've come to expect of a BMS media update...

This first one looks a bit cartoony. Similar to Team Fortress 2.

That's exactly what I was thinking, and I hope they'll change it some, cause it doesn't fit their current art direction.

I can feel it commin' in the end of night, ohhh nooo!

And I been waitin' for this moment, all my lifeee! Ohhh nooo!

-Thats how black mesa source and episode 2 make me feel, just like the Phil Collins' song

Beautiful looking! :):):)

But Residue Processing needs more then just one stain. Maybe they should think more along the lines of the end of "Route Kanal" when it comes to radioactive junk.

Im waiting for this like i wait for real games. This is going to KICKASS!!!!

Looks great, if it actually gets finished. I thought they did an awesome job on the MP5-PDW with Eotech sight.

Back