Black Screen + Freeze on Launch: Resolution issues? Help Please!

T

t00l

Specs:

2.4 P4
638 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB
AG-Neovo K-19 LCD Monitor
ASUS P4S800D mobo
Hercules Gamesurround Muse 5.1 DVD soundcard

Well here's the deal. I installed HL2 fine, steam fine, go to play game, fine. I decide to leave all the video options to the defaults, including 800x600 res, for my card and continue playing for a couple hours. I then decide I want to adjust my resolution to get the best look possible. I up it to 1280x1024 (LCD) and the second I hit apply, the screen goes black and my comp locks up. I restart, go to launch hl2 again, same deal. I then reinstalled the game, got it back to 800x600 and was able to launch again. I go to quit the game, and then it does the same black screen/lock up again.

I keep reinstalling to reset the resolution and start fiddling with options. 800x600 is the only one of the res's that works for me. It is here that I should note that my desktop is run at 1280x1024, and every res i tried is available and capable in windows for my card. I updated from DirectX 9.0b to 9.0c. I tried both the up to date NVIDIA driver (66.93_win2kxp_english.exe) and the beta driver (67.02_win2kxp_english.exe). In order to keep fooling around with the settings without reinstalling each time it crashed, I found the resolution registry keys ScreenHeight and ScreenWidth in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Source\hl2\Settings. From those two keys I'd be able to readjust the default res to 800x600, however this doesn't work 100% of the time, unfortunately. It'd be more like something like 20%. It keeps freezing on a quit as well if I'm able to eventually get back into the game at 800x600....

I have been able to use this exact setup for Doom III so I know I can handle this game... but its very frustrating to have my roommate play it flawlessly right next to me on a FX 5200.... Help please!

Back