BM Rocket Sled Team

Reaction score
Although not widely known, Black Mesa hosted an annual “rocket sled” competition. It was a chance for fellow scientists from various top-secret government installations to engage in a friendly little competition; soap box racing for adults, if you will. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a few photos of one such event.

The rules stipulated that all entries be powered solely by “the rapid release of compressed gas from type-4a gas canisters.” “Quantum resonance cascade defibrillators” and “space-age polymers and alloys of any description” were also expressly forbidden. The first team to successfully launch a two man craft from a ten story ramp (painstakingly constructed by the Black Mesa carpenters) would be declared the winner.

Every year, “Team Mesa”, as they came to be known, constructed a crude craft from plywood, old wooden crates and other materials discarded by the Black Mesa facility. Their most successful craft (described below), housed 7 canisters, each generating 4,000lbs of thrust (5 canisters at the rear and one on each wing). The photos below depict scenes from the final year of the competition (the event was discontinued due to high participant mortality).

Photos:

“Ramp” – This is the ramp from which the craft was launched, notice the airboat for scale.

“Rocket Sled” – The Black Mesa entry, complete with tacky padded cushions taken from Dr. Walter Kliener’s VW Bug.

“Team Mesa” – The entire crew came out that year. The brave ‘pilots’ are a little under the weather (the annual office Christmas party was the night before…Barney was bartending). Note how the canisters are loaded into “pigeon holes” on the vehicle (using the gravity gun). A selection of canisters with different thrusts and burn times are kept on hand to experiment with. To launch the vehicle, the valves are shot off the canisters with a pistol and than the temporary barrier in front of the craft is similarly destroyed.

“Competition” – The Combine had a team that year, lead by none other than Dr. Breen (traitor!). Alyx and I took it upon ourselves to ‘take out the competition’ (we replaced their canisters with explosive ones, muh haha!)

“Launch” – Up, up and away! The craft leaves the ramp and soars majestically into the air. Notice that some of the spent canisters have fallen out and that one of the pilots is cowardly trying to escape.

“No Hands” – Look Ma, no hands! Showing off always leads to problems, however they did manage to pull off a perfect 360 degree vertical loop!

“Mishap” – In this launch the craft flew out of control and circled the entire compound several times. Moments after this shot was taken, the entire ground crew was dead (except of course for the G-Man, he’s one tough cookie).

“Any Questions” – Well, that about raps it up…any Questions? Yes, you in the back.

A few notes. This was all done in Hammer without using any console cheats. It is amazing what Source can do. To all of you who whine about HL2 not having any replay value, crack open the SDK! You can build anything and do anything your heart desires with the tools Valve gave you.

My future plans to harness raw canister power include:

1)Construct a canister ‘pinwheel’ which I can use to turn gears and power some sort of ‘machine’ (yes, I know there are simpler ways of doing this).

2)Construct a wheeled canister ‘rocket car’

3)Construct an enclosed rocket that I (Gordon) can ride in. (Note, I have succeeded in ridding the vehicle in the screenshots, but it’s impossible to hang on).

4)Construct an aimable ‘canister cannon’

A fun thing to do:

Make a large open map, fill it with canisters, set them all off (phys canister: high thrust and burn time) and see how long you can dodge them. Canisters can traverse the map in the photos in a few seconds and kill instantly.

Your stories or comments are welcome!

Attachments

• Ramp.jpg
    Ramp.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 582
  • Rocket Sled.jpg
    Rocket Sled.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 589
  • team mesa.jpg
    team mesa.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 571
  • Compitition.jpg
    Compitition.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 585
  • Launch.jpg
    Launch.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 581
The remaining photos

Attachments

• No Hands.jpg
    No Hands.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 553
  • Mishap.jpg
    Mishap.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 529
  • Any Questions.jpg
    Any Questions.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 550
Heh, looks fun, planning on releasing the .bsp so all of us can have a go?

What a completely original and awesome concept! Brilliant use of the physics engine, my boy. Good stuff and high fives all around.

In what level are these cannister things at in the single player game? I never saw them..

Thanks for the comments. I may release the bsp, I'd like to tinker with it a bit more though and add some more fun physics stuff. I believe the canisters appeared as props somewhere in the game, but they were never really utilized. You can set them to explode, or fly around when the caps are shot (you can adjust the thrust and burn time under properties). They also do a lot of damage if you throw them. You should also be able to have them release a smoke trail in the colour of your chosing, but I can't get this to work (the code was probably not finished).

This is by far the coolest thing Evar.

To keep you inside, you could construct a roof for your flying device, and make the window small enough that only a crouch jump would let you enter, therefore, you would be stuck inside for the ride.

Also, I demand a movie or demo of this! :D

Dude! This would make a great mod for people with patience! Think about it:

Okay, let's just say there are five players on the map. Each player is given a certain amount of explosives, some building materials (wood, sheet metal), a pistol with one round in it, and the physgun/welder. The object is to build a racer that goes higher than anyone elses. Shouldn't be to hard to write a program that measures that, huh? Anyway, just an idea.

Hey Audio, yup that's my plan. I'm also considering a vertical rocket that I would climb up into.

Steve, I believe they are doing something like that over at HL2World using the JBmod (oops, am I allowed to mention them :) )

LOL. I JUST GOT AN IDEA! USE THE MANIPULATOR, and then aim the canisters, and have someone light it. then aim for combine and zombies lined up and stuff, lol. "Aimed" *blam* *PFWOOOOOOoOoooooshhhhh* *KRUNCH* LOL!

Uh why don't you just mod it so you have to press use to sit in it?

Like the car/airboat/coffin?

Well, I haven't really gotten into the whole modding thing yet; for the moment I'm just interested in what I can do without it. What's the coffin you mentioned?

You could create a game_ui setup so the player control gets parented to the sled, locking his view inside it, (the same as with stationary gun turrets etc. at least i think you could :O

Calm_Blue_Ocean said:
What's the coffin you mentioned?

The thing that you get in and it transports you round the Citadel

Some button in the proper "Advanced" mode in reply.

Sounds like an awesome idea, can't wait to give it a try.

is there a way to time the ignition of the canisters? Like at after 5 minutes (or at a certain temperature) the next canister goes off, causing the rocket to go even faster. Having different rockets produce a certain amount of "thrust"

mmm...speed

That last pic (any questions) made me chuckle... good job. :)

You can't.

You have to put the Canisters in the map with hammer and then load it up and use them.

Just so you know i've found these in one area of the game, just ater you get the gun for the boat.

you will go thru a sewer/tunnel that has sides to it with combine shooting at you shortly after reciving the gun, look on the sides and theres a few of these to shoot and watch spin around.

This is fun! I think i shall post my result a bit later. cannisters+physgun=FUN

One of those cannisters also appears in Kleiner's lab in "A Red Letter Day".

So if I want this canister in my map I have to create an prop_physic_multiplayer and choose the appropriate world model? And then additional options as "burn time" will appear?

stinger.aim92 said:
So if I want this canister in my map I have to create an prop_physic_multiplayer and choose the appropriate world model? And then additional options as "burn time" will appear?

Not sure for multiplayer, haven't mapping mp yet. For single player it's phys_canister and you can adjust several parameters under properties (also check flags).

wbcninjaofmist said:
very nice job man - what gave u the idea to do something so original and quite funny??

Thanks, I'm not sure really, just wanted to see what the physics could do. I'd like to try to work this into a single player level I'm considering (i.e. you need to build a rocket car to jump a gorge). I think next I'm going to try to 'build a better mouse trap'...or some such whacky invention. I love that you can use hammer to pose characters and make some pretty funny pics and stories...it's almost like playing the sims. Which is another idea for a mod...The Sims with explosives :)

I remember alot of these kind of maps were made for the leaked beta, where you could use the phys/welder gun to stick the cannisters to the side of aircraft and things to make them fly off ramps, was pretty fun.

Strange... Doesn't matter whether I place the physic_cannister on a hl2dm map or hl2 map, instead of it on the map there is a 3D "ERROR" sign.

BTW: When I'm making a map for singleplayer can I set it somewhere in the properties so that the player has the suit from the start, or do I have to place a suit on the map so the player can put it on? By default I spawn without the suit.

stinger.aim92 said:
Strange... Doesn't matter whether I place the physic_cannister on a hl2dm map or hl2 map, instead of it on the map there is a 3D "ERROR" sign.

BTW: When I'm making a map for singleplayer can I set it somewhere in the properties so that the player has the suit from the start, or do I have to place a suit on the map so the player can put it on? By default I spawn without the suit.

That's odd, I haven't had that problem with the cannisters before. You may be getting this error because they are embedded in a brush (such as the ground or floor). Be sure to place them above the ground, they will 'fall' to the surface.

I believe there is a parameter that you can set to make you spawn with the suit. However, I generally just place the suit (item_suit) on top of the player_start.

Back