Bored in Reason...

Routing is your friend.

If you're ever bored or in a rut, just start linking shit together willy nilly. Just throwing everything at the program. Arguably you'll turn out garbage a lot of the time, but every once in a while you'll come up with something really neat. At the very least, you can familiarize yourself with ideas and concepts you can employ later.

Also, if you're looking for some interesting drumwork, or trying to match your samples to a more fluid groove (ie. the Amen), you can load up an NN-XT and load samples corresponding to the break slices in Dr. REX. You can just copy the groove of the Amen to the NN-XT's sequencer track and keep the flow. You'll be using the piano roll for all the sequencing, which takes some getting used to. But it's a good trade-off.

IMO the NN-XT is a far better "drum machine" than Redrum. It gives you far more control over your samples and it beats having to create unnecessarily complex routing configurations to force your ideas into Redrum. I only use it for the most basic of drumwork for the most part, or when I'm creating patterns solely using Maelstrom/Subtractor instruments.

Last two tracks I made. I'm not sure if I really consider them "done". But they feel relatively complete. Primarily some EQ/Mixing issues that need tending to. As well as tightening up some of the drums.

Both start off fairly loud, particularly the first track. So mind your speakers. Second one takes a notable dip in overall volume.

"Scrang"

"Denial Quarry"

Damn that's good shit Absinthe, definitely broke my estimated limit of what Reason could do. Sounds practically AFX.

Was screwing around and felt like posting something... meh.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...BFD764072F1C83

doesnt sound like you put alot of effort in it, it felt rather dull and annoying with the constant shrieking. but keep it up, music takes a lot of work and practice!

Last two tracks I made. I'm not sure if I really consider them "done". But they feel relatively complete. Primarily some EQ/Mixing issues that need tending to. As well as tightening up some of the drums.

Both start off fairly loud, particularly the first track. So mind your speakers. Second one takes a notable dip in overall volume.

"Scrang"

"Denial Quarry"

nice shit dude! dig the first one, lots of energy in it. the whole klaxon thing going on rules

i really like the early aphexy esque thing going on in the end of the second

doesnt sound like you put alot of effort in it, it felt rather dull and annoying with the constant shrieking. but keep it up, music takes a lot of work and practice!
Thanks, I know, my shit sounds really amateur haha.

Just work on developing the synths. After a bit of practice you will be able to make it sound like anything.

My latest track is up here: http://www.myspace.com/dansavedbythedecibel

I used Reason to make all the synths. I also used an electric AND acoustic guitar! :p

You've all inspired me to finish one of my Reason tracks... /me goes to work

Bit sloppy.. Wanted to finish it.
http://media.putfile.com/Digicept

The first synth you hear is a vocoded clip of my voice...
And the last drum loop introduced is a slightly modified Rex'd loop I recorded from 54 Cymru Beats.

"Synapse" by Distisec

walls i no

did this in the last hour or two. Just a wee bit under the influence of narcotics.

all drums made with the sutbractor. pretty discordant tune. Other effects are samples of my voice or other things (scissor cuts, draggin a pen across the table, staple removers) that i had already recorded at an earlier date.

It makes me feel like I'm being sucked into a blackhole into a land of loveliness

These tracks that you have made are amazingly awesome, Absinthe. Please continue.

WTF PPL THIS IS MY ****ING THREAD STOP POSTING LINKS TO YOUR SONGS....

Nah good shit guys, keep posting. I'm loving "Synapse".

"Synapse" sounds pretty different from what it did last night. Hmmm...

Heh, wasn't my intention to hijack your topic. I just didn't feel like making one of my own =P. There probably should be one like that though. Where people can just throw out whatever WIP or neat little incomplete track they're working on.

Quick question, how could I work in Reason if I dont have a midi keyboard handy?

Hmmm, I have a question for those who have Reason. Are you able to use a real(acoustic as opposed to an electronic) drum sounding kit using Reason? I'm trying to find some software that will allow me to create drum parts for my songs. Also I don't want to use a midi keyboard, if possible. Would a "NN-XT" help me in that aspect?

Yes yes yes yes yes

Quick question, how could I work in Reason if I dont have a midi keyboard handy?

Download one of those virtual midi keyboards, you can press keys with your mouse, or assign the notes to a standard keyboard. A little confusing but works a treat!

Hmmm, I have a question for those who have Reason. Are you able to use a real(acoustic as opposed to an electronic) drum sounding kit using Reason? I'm trying to find some software that will allow me to create drum parts for my songs. Also I don't want to use a midi keyboard, if possible. Would a "NN-XT" help me in that aspect?

The standard Factory sound bank that comes with Reason has a fairly large selection of both electronic-sounding drum hits as well as natural. You're gonna have to start recording or finding your own samples though if you're getting sick of the same few kits over and over again.

The Orkester sound bank has a crapload of more orchestral percussive instruments, as well as a lot of wonderful wind and string instrument samples. I do believe Propellerhead also released a vast collection of high-quality drum kit samples. A nice fee is involved though...

The NN-XT is an instrument in Reason. It's essentially an advanced sampler. You can program specific samples to keys on your keyboard, edit individual settings on each sample, set lengths and looping settings, velocity values, et cetera. It's good for both multi-layered/complex sampler patches and even drums when you get familiar with it. However, the standard for most drumwork is the Redrum drum machine. It has a 64-step sequencer, pattern selector, and allows for three preset velocity values for your hits (which you can change to your will in Reason's main sequencer window). Sample editing is more limited without the aid of routing configurations, but it's quick and easy to set up. You can also route individual sample outputs to their own respective effect devices and so forth, as well as route other devices into it (ie. have a synth function as a perc hit in your beat).

ADDED: It's actually really pointless for me to explain all this.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

Just go to their site, check out the "Close-Up On Reason" section, and you'll get the idea better.

Don't forget to watch the tutorial video with James Bernard <3

Back