bring back /me mkII!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
I made a thread on this ages (ages = at least eight months) ago and though everyone supported it, nothing happened. I remember from my early days at halflife2.net that there was a great modification to the vBulletin code so that when you typed /me, it'd turn out in the post as something like:

*Ennui wants to bring back /me!

I believe it disappeared because you had to update the vBulletin software, thus deleting all of the code modifications.

It'd be great if we could have this back... who else thinks so?

/me doesn't remeber this although i've been here longer than you apparently ;(

not true, I first joined in december 2003 (when the main site just said "Site coming soon").

I was just an idiot and kept rejoining (I have 4 or 5 accounts I think) because I thought that was the only way to change my name. Which annoyed Munro a bit when I said that in my newbie central thread with this (final) account.

I hate my join date being so late especially when I've been here so much longer :( edit: my first post : http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16595 dec 31, 2003

Ennui said:
I made a thread on this ages (ages = at least eight months) ago and though everyone supported it, nothing happened. I remember from my early days at halflife2.net that there was a great modification to the vBulletin code so that when you typed /me, it'd turn out in the post as something like:

*Ennui wants to bring back /me!

I believe it disappeared because you had to update the vBulletin software, thus deleting all of the code modifications.

It'd be great if we could have this back... who else thinks so?

How did you make a post before you were a member? :p

Anyway the /me command was around back then, it wasn't around the start of 04, then vanished after an upgrade sometime towards the end of last year IIRC.

hahahaha newbie!!!! oh dear you need a hug, and theres one right now from tr0n. Btw while we await some mod to say something, did you see that thread about people taking your votes away in off topic!? what on earth? They want that crime lord with a warning level of 2 Danimal! Don't like the general attitude things are heating up.

The Dark Elf said:
How did you make a post before you were a member? :p

Anyway the /me command was around back then, it wasn't around the start of 04, then vanished after an upgrade sometime towards the end of last year IIRC.
I remember it probably around spring 04.

and first account's first post, which is how long I've been here: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16595

yep glenn, I saw it, was sad it was locked before I could post in it though :)

on topic though, I'd rather not derail this thread so soon!

Ennui said:
I remember it probably around spring 04.

and first account's first post, which is how long I've been here: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16595

yep glenn, I saw it, was sad it was locked before I could post in it though :)

on topic though, I'd rather not derail this thread so soon!
reported for clone accounts :p

ha busted! :E: hehe

anyway Starmonkey will probably add the hack back at some point, maybe soon.

/me has just done some work and got it working again

Munro said:
/me has just done some work and got it working again
oh you would do that just after I edit my post with

anyway Starmonkey will probably add the hack back at some point, maybe soon.

damn you munro :p

/me shakes fist

colors are bad on the brown theme

OMG OMG

/me dies

/me shakes fist

Now these colours are bad on the blue theme!!
Red should come out good on both methinks

Testing

/me is testing

ok done testing.

The green colour is fine on the new design that's coming soon.

/me is just testing the thing, it probaby wont work for me

awesome, and new theme? interesting, what complements green well? not orange again!

For some reason it works unless you put more text below it. When that happens the end star appears on a new line :|

/me is puzzled

/me is happy!

Edit: Holy shit it does work!

/me dances

Hectic Glenn said:
* Hectic Glenn is just testing the thing, it probaby wont work for me

awesome, and new theme? interesting, what complements green well? not orange again!
dark purple :p

hooray for new theme soon

/me is just looking for excuses to use said command

edit: doh, i double posted again. cognation is required.

hmm :(

I looked on the link to Ennui's first post... and look what i found :stare:

(look at screenshot attachment carefully)

I didnt do it :(

Attachments

• mecode.jpg
    mecode.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 264
oldagerocker said:

Woah!! That's odd...

I don't like all these forum themes! Becuase then when you use colored text in your post it might not be very visible to a person who is using a different theme! I say we all must conform to one! Down with eye strains!

I'll fix the code properly tomorrow, for now - bed!

oldagerocker said:

yeah that used to happen too.. when quoting someone the /me would change to your name instead. Dunno why it does it like this though.

/me tests the 'me' command'

Blah blah

/me tests it again

:O

You need to have something after it in order to work.

/me works

/me

doesn't

woot, I just noticed this :D

/me loves it

/me wants more commands :E

Wasn't the orignal /me command orange? ;(

/me dislikes the green on dark blue scheme

I can't read it OLOLOL. Using a <span > tag instead of a direct <font> color tag would allow the me-command color to be set in the stylesheet of a forum theme. This is allows for a different, readable color for every theme.

/me knows the chance of this actually being implemented is astronomically small, but posts it anyway

/me wants the orange color, because that's typical HL :(

theGreenBunny said:
I can't read it OLOLOL. Using a <span > tag instead of a direct <font> color tag would allow the me-command color to be set in the stylesheet of a forum theme. This is allows for a different, readable color for every theme.

* theGreenBunny knows the chance of this actually being implemented is astronomically small, but posts it anyway

We could have a colour for every theme but there will only be one available shortly so there's not much point ;) Also, the code is going to be changing later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back