buildcubemaps fatal error.

H

hugepedlar

I believe this may be related to last Thursday's update.

whenever I type "buildcubemaps" in the console for any of my maps, the game crashes, displaying a dialogue box explaining that it couldn't read from a certain area of memory, and that it would now quit.

All my maps worked perfectly before the update. Now I can't build my cubemaps in any of them. This is really quite annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem, could it be because of the update, and does anyone know how to fix it?

Have you try opening the .vmf and resave under a new name, works for me when the buildcubemap crap

Yes I did, and I even tried deleting my env_cubemaps and putting new ones in. Didn't work.

However, I seem to have fixed it now! I was running the game at 640x480 after recording a movie from it - having put the resolution back up to 1024x768 my cubemaps build perfectly again. Odd, but... whatever.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Yes I think that your resolution has to be large enough to build cubemaps of a certain size. I needed a very large cubemap once and it would not build unless my res was set to 1028x1047 or somewhere close to there.

hugepedlar said:
Yes I did, and I even tried deleting my env_cubemaps and putting new ones in. Didn't work.

However, I seem to have fixed it now! I was running the game at 640x480 after recording a movie from it - having put the resolution back up to 1024x768 my cubemaps build perfectly again. Odd, but... whatever.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.
The bigger the cubemap res the larger your game res needs to be, since building cubemaps is simply telling the game to take a screenshot from the point of every cubemap entity, and I imagine to save damage some systems Valve didn't allow it to automatically switch to higher resolutions on its own.

Back