Building A Comp, Some Help Needed

BaNDiT

Reaction score
Hey , im building a computer within the next month, and i have most of the components picked out now. The only problem is that this is my first time building a comp, and im not sure if this is all i need, and if its all compatible. Also, is it necessary to have a network card? anyways, here are the specs. can you please tell me if it all works out ? thanks.

Mobo:
ASUS "SK8V" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 940 CPU -RETAIL

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail

Power Supply:
Thermaltake W0014 Silent Purepower 480W with Black housing - Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only

Ram:
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 512MB ECC Registered DDR PC-3200 w/ Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader - Retail

Floppy:
SONY Beige 1.44MB 3.5Inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM

DVD Drive:
SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1612, OEM

CD-RW Drive:
Samsung 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model SW-252FEN, OEM Bulk

Sound Card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0244" -OEM

Speakers:
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX Certified Speaker System -RETAIL

Video Card:
Geforce 6800 Ultra Extreme or X800 XT (depending which one outpreforms the other)

Anyways, thats all i have now. If something looks uncompatible can you please inform me of it. Also, if there is a certain component that i am missing that is essential please tell me what and what you would recommend. Also, i pretty much want the best system available at this time, so tell me whats better. Thanks.

Wow. That is one expensive computer you are building. You could save yourself a fair amount of money by reducing your performance a little bit. You would just get a Athlon 64 3400+ and corresponding RAM and you would save yourself $400 or so and the performance sacrifice would be minimal.

The components you chose right now appear to be compatible. Though, if you are going to spend that much money on a computer I would recommend you getting another stick of Ram. For a total of 1 gig of RAM.

If you want to go all out, pick up another raptor harddrive and set it in a RAID array. You will nearly double your harddrive speed.

You should also make sure your computer case is up to the task. Make sure it has enough places to put fans because your computer will generate alot of heat.

ya, im planning on getting two sticks of 512 i accidentally didnt mention it in my initial post. I wont be able to get 2 raptors cuz i dont have that much money to spend. I picked out a Thermal take with 7 stock fans, so i assume that that will be enough. Thanks for the help btw.

a beige floppy and a black DVD drive? quick! someone call the fashion police!

k,can someone please give me some informative replies. Im planning on changing the colors and shit, im just putting down the basic components. Thanks

I say scrap the FX-53 and go with a Athlon 64. You will save yourself some money and be able to buy that extra raptor for RAID 0. You will notice the increase in harddrive performance alot more than you will notice the increase in processing power.

You may want to check out the Audigy 2 ZS series. Supposed to be a little bit better than the Audigy 2.

For your optical drives, try to find optical drives manufactured by Lite on.

Check out this power supply - Thermaltake W0010 Silent Purepower 480W with Black housing - Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply. The difference between your model and the model I will be getting soon is that this one has self-sensing fan control to help make it as quiet as possible.

There you go. :)

The more I look at the platforms the more I like Socket 940 (Opterons that is).
But I wouldn't recommend it to just everyone.

An Athlon 64 (Socket 754) will give you stellar performance and it will save you a lot of money.

ya, but i kinda wanna get top of the line so that i dont have to keep upgrading. Do you think 940 is good?

hehe.
I'm really starting to like Socket 940 and the thought of ECC/Registered memory.
I think not much will change between Socket 754 and Socket 939 in overall performance for todays systems but they are switching both A64 and FX to Socket 939. So in the future the value line will be on 754 and the mainstream to high-end will be on 939. 940 is not considered in the same light since it is not aimed/marketed toward the average customer but workstation/server PCs. Again, today's 754 CPU's won't be much different in performance than the upcoming 939 CPU's with the same/similar rating. I think they give it a +100 rating for being dual channel yet less L2 cache. E.G. 3700+ becomes 3800+ on socket 939.

The reason I'm starting to think about Socket 940 is because:
1) It is what the Opteron is based on so it will never leave as long as Opteron is there.
2) Like the FX's performance? It's just one of the Opteron models with a different name. Same socket. Same Registered Memory requirement. Same L2 cache. Same speed. Same HT interconnects, at least the 1** series.
3) You can pick from the base model [email protected] for $160 all the way up through 6 models (140,142,144,146,148,150) to the newly released [email protected] (same as FX53) for $637
4) FX53 is the same thing and yet it costs $765. gasp
5) AMD Dual Core CPUs in 2005 will be pin compatible with Socket 940
6) Dual CPU motherboards are available for 2** series Opterons
7) Do you like program errors that pop up or crash your app because of a random error in memory? ECC checks memory data so that doesn't happen.
8) Registered memory address' the memory for the controller so there is no slow down when adding 4 banks of memory or more. Read on

thanks a lot. that post is gonna help me out a lot man, thanks! I really couldnt decide, until now.

Back