Burn 6hrs of AVI to 4.7GB DVD

elrasho

Reaction score
As the title suggests is that possible? Im using Nero 7 Premium and I can only burn 2 hours at a time since each 1hour file is 60minutes long and about 700MB. Im using the 'Make your own DVD-movie' option.

Is there a way I can maybe burn at least 3 of these files onto a DVD?

if you make your own dvd then it will convert to a larger format, so im guessing you will only be able to do 2 movies.

You can use a different compression if you have video editing software. I thought that Nero let you encode video to a lower quality to get more video time though.

Do you just want to play them on a PC afterwards? Just use PowerISO and add all the avi's you want... I burnt about 6+ hours worth recently.

Do you want to burn the AVI file onto a DVD or do you want to make the DVD playable in DVD players?

If it is the former you'll want to re-encode the AVI to a lower quality/smaller file before burning it to a DVD using Nero's standard Burn DVD settings.

If it is the latter and since you have Nero you can use Nero Vision, it will automatically choose the best quality for 4.7GB space.

Imgburn
ConvertXtoDVD

All you need for either circumstance.

If you are wanting to burn it as a DVD Video format to play in DVD players and you let the encode/burn program do it automatically for you then there is a good chance it will come out very blocky. That is if it tries to cram 6 hrs of video onto 1 single layer disc (4.7gb) and use 720x480 resolution. That's because it would have to lower the bitrate way too much and would not be able to maintain a decent picture.

Normal DVDs are ~2hrs and 4Mbit/sec to 8Mbit/sec bitrate on video. If you have not enough bitrate then the picture gets filled with block noise, especially with motion. You would need to have the bitrate set down to 1.5 Mbit/sec to fit 6 hours on there. On the other hand, the picture at 352x480 resolution would come out better at that bitrate and is a standard DVD resolution.

Back