Call me stupid...

Runteh

Reaction score
...but has anyone wondered why the sea/ocean is so far out in the coastline vids. I have not seen a thread posted on this before, but there is no way the tide would go out that far. There is even a sub beached at the begginning of the coastline vid.

Any takers?

have you ever been on an ocean bed while the tide was out?...i have, and the ride goes way out, heh i almost got stuck out there as it was coming back in, but thats a story for another day.

i think there are water drying up issues in hl2......

Hmm, I don't believe you... I want pictures :D

I've never seen a tides level increase / decrease by such a huge level anywhere in the world, especially not in the UK.

Runteh said:
Hmm, I don't believe you... I want pictures :D

I've never seen a tides level increase / decrease by such a huge level anywhere in the world, especially not in the UK.

It's certainly possible. It really depends on the geography of the location and and the local land structure. There's actually one place that I know of that the tide comes in faster than a man can run. Pretty dangerous place. It's due to a the sea getting very narrow in one place.

But about that vid, I think you may be onto something there. It may be possible for the tide to go out that far, but why the sub and the beached tugboat? I'm thinking this may even be a signifcant part of the plot maybe.

Runteh, not to be rude, but what are you on about? I live in the UK and can look out of my window here in Swansea at the right time of day and the sea is out about 1/3 of a mile. Around the Bristol channel its far more - the vertical tidal range there is up to 15 metres (2nd biggest in the world), and depending on the steepness of the beach/seabed, this can mean a horizontal tidal range of several miles, afaik.

Read these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_channel

Check out these pics too:
http://www.brantacan.co.uk/SSC7Y.jpg (how similar is that to the start of the coastline vid?!)
http://www.whyy.org/tv12/franklinfacts/sep2800_2.jpg
http://www.whyy.org/tv12/franklinfacts/sep2800_3.jpg

So in answer to "there is no way the tide would go out that far" - Er, YEAH it does matey!

This isn't a micky-take, I'm actually interested in perception and stuff...do you all live really far away from the coast?

And regarding the beached subs...perhaps they were abandoned unanchored when Xen/the Combine attacked and were carried in on the high tide and then caught on a sandbank? Nothing too extraordinary, just a sign of the chaos in C-17.

To paraphrase Ross Gellar,
Geography rocks

http://www.valleyweb.com/fundytides/

= where i saw the tides, and almost got stuck in the ocean, heh.

[edit]

The highest tides on Earth occur in the Minas Basin, the eastern extremity of the Bay of Fundy, where the average tide range is 12 metres and can reach 16 metres when the various factors affecting the tides are in phase (although the highest tides occur typically a day or two after the astronomical influences reach their peak).

If an area of seabed is flat, it will all drain at the same time.

LOL, yes in the UK it goes out way over one 1/3rd of a mile... but not from being 15 metres high at the coastline to 0 metres high. Think about it, look how rediculous the change in tide is.

Oh, and I live in Bristol btw, and I see the river avon daily... but its a river not an entire ocean.

http://www.brantacan.co.uk/SSC7Y.jpg (how similar is that to the start of the coastline vid?!)

Look how high the tide goes up on the columns, no way near the height of the coastline vid.

Tides typically have ranges (vertical high-to-low) of a metre or two, but there are regions in the oceans where various influences conspire to produce virtually no tides at all, and others where the tides are greatly amplified. Among the latter regions are the Sea of Okhotsk, the northern coast of Australia, the Bristol Channel on the west coast of England, and in Canada at the Ungava Bay in northern Quebec, and the Bay of Fundy between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The tidal ranges in these regions are of the order of 10 metres.

I think somethings up.

Well, who says it is an entire ocean? All we can see in the game is about 1-2 miles away. Could be a big bay, an estuary. Actually this is pretty likely given that it is around a dock. Look at it this way, there is nothing shown in the video that you can't see in real life, even in the UK. As Varsity says, the beach/sea bed in the video is flat, and it's only gonna take a small volume of water to come and go for it to be sea or beach.

That sub that's beached is obviously very old. The tides may have changed since it was destroyed. Also, there may have been a climatic event that changed water patterns, etc. you can see a monorail track or something there ... it's not very tall so there could not be that much water that comes in at high tide, if any at all.

LOL, tides do not change, especially after 10 or so years... I am guessing that the sub is not millions of years old, seening as thats how long it takes the tetonic plates to move of which could effect the tide.

I agree it could be an estury, but I still rekon the tide change looks awfully huge. If a sub was to get that near the cliff, I rekon the depth of water would at least have to be 25+ meters deep. Oh, and I am not talking about it being submerged, I'm talking it riding the surface. Also... whenever did a sub go near an estuary? They would be docked right near the deep blue ocean.

It all adds up to that 'odd' factor.

Ah ha!! Ive got you now!!!

Look at the plants growing on the ground... bwahahaha... I very much doubt you would have any plant life on the bed of a coastline/estuary with a tide that went in and out at that extream rate. (change of 0 - 15 metres high).
Sure it could be some kind of water based plant, even seaweed. But it does not look like seaweed to me.

If you want proof, look at the monorail supports, look at where the water level is/used to be. The change is massive!

Perhaps the world has been effected during Gordon's little sleep. It may have been more then the speculated 10 years since his re-awakening. This would acount for the poor state of the sub/boats.

I don't blame you for wanting to read something into what's there, it's fun, but I don't see it myself.
Peace-out

edit: yeah...plenty of plants and creatures can survive in and out of water...there is even a name for them but I forget..not amphibians, I mean specifically with tidal waters coming and going.

Perhaps it's a lake whose water supply was cut off by a damed river? Who knows.

Umm... the ocean is dried up.

Look at how high the docks are. The water level should be a couple feet below them, not twenty or thirty. That's not tide, that's a cataclysm.

Runteh said:
...but has anyone wondered why the sea/ocean is so far out in the coastline vids. I have not seen a thread posted on this before, but there is no way the tide would go out that far. There is even a sub beached at the begginning of the coastline vid.

Yeah, I think it's a dried up seabed. The Dead Sea is rapidly getting that way even today, mostly due to salt harvesting...

And, well, o.k. you're stupid! ( :) sorry, had to...)

It's not the entire ocean though. Just a lot less water around the shorelines.

In any case, people used to speculate that the combine were stealing the resources of earth, hence less h2o. We don't know anything clear yet though.

Haven't people already discussed this before? Alot of people came to the speculation of some otherworldly source depleting the earth of its resources hence the combine and their marshal rule.

Back