Call of Duty 4 Woes...

Lucid

The Freeman
Reaction score
Alright, I'm not getting any luck from any other message boards, as none of them are heavy in activity atm so I'll just copy and paste what I've been needing help with.

I just got the game for Christmas last night, I've managed to get into two servers already...
But, after every map change the game just disconnects making me reconnect each and every time, it's incredibly annoying.

My game is currently unpatched as it seems that updating to 1.4 just increases my problems... such as being unable to join any servers at all.
So, I'm guessing that almost none of the servers are even updated yet?

Anyways, the issue at hand is the disconnecting after every map load, what I mean by that is when a match is over and changes maps... it disconnects me after the next map finishes loading.
But occasionally if I reconnected it would let me back in.

I'm pretty sure my slot on the server wouldn't be taken during a map load, or am I wrong about that?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'll provide more information as it's requested.

cod4error.jpg

LOL, look at your version its 1.0,

the latest one is 1.4

download it @ gamershell.com :thumbs::thumbs:

edit: I had same problem, and 1.2 fixed it for me.

LOL, look at your version its 1.0,

the latest one is 1.4

download it @ gamershell.com :thumbs::thumbs:

edit: I had same problem, and 1.2 fixed it for me.

I updated to 1.4 and I couldn't join any servers at all... but with an unpatched version I'm able to atleast join 2 out of every 20 servers I try.

So with 1.2, do I patch to 1.4 after that or just stay on 1.2?

edit : Patching to 1.2 didn't do anything. :(

Is this PC or console? Im guessing PC...

They haven't got a 1.4 on console, so yeah he must be on PC.

I had alot of problems when I tried to play CoD4, but i've found fixes for them. Don't know anything about yours though, sorry.

Yes, this is obviously for the PC.

Man, this sucks beyond belief.
I've posted this on 10 other message boards, sent in a tech support question to activision, called activision... How the **** am I the only one with this problem?! :angry:

Yes, this is obviously for the PC.

Man, this sucks beyond belief.
I've posted this on 10 other message boards, sent in a tech support question to activision, called activision... How the **** am I the only one with this problem?! :angry:

try reinstalling it and then apply all patches from 1.x-1.4

Moreover, always remember to choose the server with less pings on it. say between 10-40max.

for me I always choose the one in the 20s for pings.

try reinstalling it and then apply all patches from 1.x-1.4

Moreover, always remember to choose the server with less pings on it. say between 10-40max.

for me I always choose the one in the 20s for pings.

I've reinstalled it 5 times already and applied every single patch that I could find.

Right now it's on 1.2 since 90% of the servers are using that version.
I can join most of the servers just fine without a hitch but as soon as the match is over and the next map finishes loading, I get booted.

Every. single. time.
on every. single. server.

I'm joining servers with pings in the 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, etc.
It really doesn't matter the ping for me as long it isn't in the 160+ range.

What kind of internet connection do you have?

No thanks. I already it on Gamespot. Hey Ridge, all consoles never get lately version.

Contact tech support over at IW.

That's your best bet.

Yeah, I'm talking to one of them right now.
Unfortunately he's telling me to do things that I already thought of or tried.

No thanks. I already it on Gamespot. Hey Ridge, all consoles never get lately version.

Incorrect - COD4 was updated for both the beta and the final version. I do believe it was last updated Dec 18th alongside some new gametypes.

I never got any errors or messages of any sort from Punkbuster.

For some reason now, Activision's customer service is openly refusing to help me because my system apparently doesn't meet their system requirements, which is a load of bullshit since I can play both the SP & MP with everything maxed on 1280x1024 resolution. :|

I had one guy who was honestly trying to help me for a day
Jason Chalfant said:
Hello,

Many servers use 3rd party mods to control private slots. These mods don't always inform the user that they are being kicked to make way for a player with private access or even notify that being kicked is possible. I admit that this is an unfortunate annoyance, but we cannot control the way a server admin wishes to administrate his or her server.

There's also another possibility. While the above most often applies, it's possible that your connection is timing out either due to your loading time or other connectivity issues. Considering your display device is close to MSR and your procesor is under it, I'd say this is also a good possibility. My best recommendation in this case is to make sure you have as little running as possible while playing. A good method for this is to do the following:
1) Click on the start menu
2) Click run
3) Type in MSConfig
4) Press enter
5) Click the Start Up tab
6) Click Disable All
7) Click Apply
8) Reboot your computer

Thank you for contacting Customer Support.
, then the next day comes and this total asshat comes and says
Kirk McNesby said:
Hi,

The AMD Athlon XP processors are not supported with this game. You will need to have one of the following installed in order to run this game: Intel? Pentium? 4 2.4 Ghz / AMD? 64? 2800+ / Intel? and AMD? 1.8 Ghz Dual Core Processor or better

While it is possible this is not related to your error we are unable to provide further troubleshooting if your system does not meet the system requirements.
Me said:
But I can run the game smooth as butter.

I just get disconnected after every map load, this -is- still the same help thread with Jason Chalfant, is it not?

Or did I completely neglect to mention that I can run the single player game at about 60/70 FPS on high with 4x AA and 16x AF with a resolution of 1280x1024?
Same thing with multiplayer, I use those same settings and it runs fantastically with no slow downs.

Kirk McNesby said:
Hi,

Regardless of whether the problem is related to the system requirements or not we are not able to provide technical support for systems that do not meet the minimum system requirements.

Who knows, maybe it IS a problem with your CPU (CPU doesn't support an assembly instruction or something they do during map change perhaps). If you have another computer available, try it on it.

Also, check your local security settings on your machine (Anti-Virus, Windows Firewall, etc), and also settings on your router (try making your computer's IP DMZ).

I have no other computer to try it on, I've checked every nook and cranny that I could.
This is such bull, my father paid $65 for a game I can't even fully enjoy.

**** it, I'm going back to Insurgency.

Type

\cl_maxpackets 100

into your console before joining a server.

This helped me and my friends who all had server connection problems.

Back