can you get HL2 SDK without steam preorder?

V

vyder

hey guys..i have a copy of CZ on my shelf. can you get the hl2 sdk from steam using a login from CZ or another game? i dont want to preorder a download of hl2, i would rather buy a hard copy, but i am making a map for a mod using hammer 3.4. i want the SDK to update hammer and get a feel for new and improved features.

thanks.

I would also like to get my hands on it =[

If you don't have a Source game installed (i.e. CS:Source) then the SDk is useless to you - you'd have no textures, no models, no sounds, no way of running your map.

Pi Mu Rho said:
If you don't have a Source game installed (i.e. CS:Source) then the SDk is useless to you - you'd have no textures, no models, no sounds, no way of running your map.
I don't agree with the part about the SDK being useless without a Source game as most mods and some maps will hardly use any premade content. The inability to run content made restricts it to more of a learning tool than something useful, but it is far from useless.

To those complaing about not being able to get the SDK in ways other than steam, would you rather wait until HL2's retail release to let you get it? You should be praising Valve for letting a large chunk of the community get the SDK early, not saying that they are screwing you over.

What is there to disagree with?

Model viewer - used to view models. If you don't have CS:S, you haven't got any models to view.

Hammer - used to edit/create maps. You could build a map from scratch with it. Without textures. Or props. Not really very useful - you might as well be using Hammer 3.5

If you look through the docs it does mention coding relating things a couple of times (so far all I've seen it a brief mention on how to code new material proxies, how to bind functions to console commands and creating cvars).

Monder said:
If you look through the docs it does mention coding relating things a couple of times (so far all I've seen it a brief mention on how to code new material proxies, how to bind functions to console commands and creating cvars).
Do you mean the public docs available on the ERC and mirrors? Aren't there anymore documentation?

It isn't the complete SDK -- just what you need for mapping and a bit more. Expect the source code and accomodating documentation to come following HL2's release (as stated by Valve).

You need to own a Source game as mentioned because then you will have something to test on. I agree that you don't need it, but in order to test something, you do and that is probably Valve's philosophy.

hey guys thanks for the posts....

pi mu rho...i agree with croperz. i am doing work on a mod and would like to play around with the new hammer's functionality. if i could go on doing that, it would save me a lot of time when converting my map and knowing the limitations. furthermore, i have a 3d program that i can go on modelling etc, way before i actually get a source game. the info from valve has been very scant at best and any info that i can get...i am going to try and get. its not useless....just trying to get better acquainted with the software even tho i have no way yet of applying materials or testing it out. i can still model primitives cant i?

thanks again guys.

I'd have to agree. It's a bit annoying for those who are waiting for the retail release but are still interested in modding and what to get a feel for the new tools and functionality at least, even if maps can't be tested - I'm not bothered. It could even help drive more sales for the Steam edition where people get so impatient about wanting to test their new map creation they go and buy a package via Steam!

Pi Mu Rho said:
Ya, making our own Materials, models and sounds is truely an impossible task best left to the godly CS team.

Given that you need the SDK to actually create materials or to compile models into HL2's format, it does make it a moot point.

Back