Cannot hear GLaDOS in Portal

ZTaylor

Reaction score
I downloaded the demo version of Portal the other day and really enjoyed the game. Had no problems with the game.

So I decided to buy the game and downloaded it from Steam this morning.

Now I have a problem. I cannot hear GLaDOS's voice. I don't hear any music either. I hear the portal gun fire and my footsteps. I also noticed that sometimes when I fire the portal gun, the portal remains blue and I cannot walk through it.

I have tried, verifying integrity of game cache, and defragment cache files.

Anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Perhaps it's a problem with your speakers. From what I hear, the sound and audio come out at different levels from certain speakers.

Try messing with your speakers a bit and see if that works.

Like when I was playing Guitar Hero the other night, I realized my TV sucked because it only has right audio. So anything that's SUPPOSED to come out of the left speaker is not there. I mess up a lot because of this.

Perhaps it's a problem with your speakers. From what I hear, the sound and audio come out at different levels from certain speakers.

Try messing with your speakers a bit and see if that works.

Like when I was playing Guitar Hero the other night, I realized my TV sucked because it only has right audio. So anything that's SUPPOSED to come out of the left speaker is not there. I mess up a lot because of this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did mess around with the speaker settings to no avail.

I basically hear everything in the game, except for GLaDOS. Then their is the also the problem with the portal which sometimes stays blue and I cannot walk through it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did mess around with the speaker settings to no avail.

I basically hear everything in the game, except for GLaDOS. Then their is the also the problem with the portal which sometimes stays blue and I cannot walk through it.

Did you legally buy the game?
If you have a pirated game, it may be a RIP, which means some things are removed to reduce the download size. Glados' voice takes a lot of space, so maybe it's ripped.

Dinn , he said he bought it from steam so it is not illigal. And second of all if it was (which it isn't) don't try to help.

see if you still have your sound settings set to 5.1 when you don't have a 5.1 system or vica versa

Indeed, check your speaker settings through Windows too. Do you have 2 speakers and a subwoofer, or 5 speakers? If something is set to 5, GLaDOS is probably being channelled to speakers that don't exist, which is the most common problem associated with some sound being picked up, but not all of it.

If you already messed around with these settings, check the Portal in-game sound tab in 'options' too.

When all else fails, verify integrity of game cache.
Or delete the .blob file in your Steam folder.

Back