Cannot play multiplayer

B

Browncoat1984

As the title says, I can't play mutiplayer. Why? Because my ping is so bad it isn't funny. Its between the 500>1000 range most the time, it doesn't matter what I play, Half Life 2 DM, Fortress Forever, Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike Source, Day of Defeat Source, they all have terrible pings.

System specs: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ CPU
Geforce 7900GT GPU
2 GB Corsair PC3200 DDR Ram
1 500GB Maxtor SATA HD (the one that Windows is installed on)
1 160GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD
Creative X-Fi soundcard
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (with all updates)
all drivers up do date...

Now, I AM on a college internet...and I can't tell you guys much about it. The only thing is...I can play just about any other game, from Neverwinter Nights to Battlefield to Command and Conquer perfectly fine with little to no lag...but any Source engine game just lags like hell and I can't play it...its really annoying 'cause I really wanna play TF2 but the lag makes it unplayable...anybody have any ideas?

Which Battlefield and Command and Conquer?

Because Neverwinter Nights is ancient.

Okay, what does Battlefield and Command and Conquer have to do with anything? When I say I can play games, I can play MODERN games - C&C3, BF2, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, etc. But this post is about fixing Half Life 2...not which games I can play...can anybody help me?

Okay, what does Battlefield and Command and Conquer have to do with anything? When I say I can play games, I can play MODERN games - C&C3, BF2, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, etc. But this post is about fixing Half Life 2...not which games I can play...can anybody help me?

With that kind of attitude you can f**kin' go fish for help mate!

Because whether you are playing three year old games or modern games online is important. Older games require less bandwidth, QED. :rolleyes:

Now, let's see... hmm. I'm at a loss.

Don't be an ass, it's unbecoming of your love of Firefly ;)

This is a weird problem. I'd talk to your campus ITS and ask them if there's a problem with Steam, IE a port issue that f*cks your ping over.

try "rate 20000" in the console. I doubt its that, but its worth a look.

Okay...sorry if I came across as an ass that's what I get for reading it at 8:00 in the morning when waking up...I can be cranky in the morning sometimes. I did try the rate 20000 thing and it didn't work. I also tried messing around with the cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate values and it didn't work...its so bad that I can't even move.

*2nd edit*
Checking the console after logging onto a server I get this:

Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_collar_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_upperArm_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_lowerArm_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_hand_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_2_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_collar_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_upperArm_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_lowerArm_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_hand_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_thumb_2_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_index_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_ring_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_0_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!
Performance warning: Merge with 'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_pinky_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!

I get those kinds of errors now and then too...though not that many. Though I doubt that would be the cause. I'd talk with your IT director at the school, and find out about the ports.

I might have the same problem as you, but I was able to play TF2 the day after it was released, and I tried playing today and I get very low fps. I also got those errors as well.

I'm getting the same errors in console with the same problem - huge freezes everytime I see the enemy. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the minigun file and whenever someone uses it the game ****s up, any idea how to sort it?

Back