Can't sell your steam account??

T

tennistoad2k3

What kind of crap is that!!! What happens when I finish the single player game and I don't give a rats ass about mp and want to sell it on e-bay to buy something else???

That sucks,,and what about ebgames etc?? are they going to ban the trade in on hl2?? I think you should be able to sell it.. Wth I have a key from hl1 that I could sell to help pay for my hl2..I don't care about playing any hl1 stuff anymore??

This crap looks like valve will have another lawsuit against it,,, class action one at that.. I mean you buy a dvd, watch it and then trade it in or sell it.. no one restricts the people you sell it so that they can't watch it... This crap might work with hl2 but do this with some crappy title like the sims and kaboom!!

I agree, I started a new account to buy hl2 silver and now I have no need for my old account, which has every single game up to hl2 on it.

I want to know how Valve stops people from sharing accounts. I mean they say to use your same account when you use a different computer...but how do they know that you aren't giving your friends your account info? I mean you could still sell the game this way. Sell it, give the buyer your name and password etc...am I missing something here? I really don't feel comfortable with this system.

x2501x said:
I want to know how Valve stops people from sharing accounts.

Who cares about sharing accounts, almost everyone does it, as long as people don't get friends banned, its fine.

But that means one person among a group of 10 could buy the game...and they all could use the same account? That doesn't sound right.

x2501x said:
But that means one person among a group of 10 could buy the game...and they all could use the same account? That doesn't sound right.

You can use the same account, just not at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they add a feature to Steam where you can unmount a particular product from your Steam account to enable you to sell the product.

I dunno though...

Off-line mode at the same time though? How will Steam know?

sublidieminal said:
Stores don't trade PC Games.

Every EB I have ever gone to has had no problem letting me trade in my games for store credit. The EB near me even took SWG back after six months of it sitting in my closet and gave me 15$ for it. 15$ for SWG! I ripped EB Games a new one financially :)

Thanks.

EBgames does trade PC games. I have traded in games as recent as Freedom Fighters there.

I kinda think it's kinda screwy. You buy a liscence to use the software. And generally, one active copy of that software. By not allowing you to sell your STEAM account, that kinda ensures the permanancy of the liscence, but also allows them to make more money from sales, if the liscence is not transferable, as every individual person would have to buy a copy. It's like placing a label...."You, Sir, are a HL2/STEAM user! For Life!"

Yes, Eb Games trades PC games. I used to work at one. Well, we couldn't take trades, but that was a bylaw in our city. We sold them though. We'd get shipments from other EB's. The only problem is, we'd get a ton of multiplayer pre-owned games, and we'd get people coming back saying WTF, it doesn't work. but, phoning the company, they can usually verify cd keys and get you a new one, EB employee's should have a phone number for a hotline to do this. If not, ask your Regional Manager.

tennistoad2k3 said:
What kind of crap is that!!! What happens when I finish the single player game and I don't give a rats ass about mp and want to sell it on e-bay to buy something else???

That sucks,,and what about ebgames etc?? are they going to ban the trade in on hl2?? I think you should be able to sell it.. Wth I have a key from hl1 that I could sell to help pay for my hl2..I don't care about playing any hl1 stuff anymore??

This crap looks like valve will have another lawsuit against it,,, class action one at that.. I mean you buy a dvd, watch it and then trade it in or sell it.. no one restricts the people you sell it so that they can't watch it... This crap might work with hl2 but do this with some crappy title like the sims and kaboom!!

I doubt anyone will do a class action lawsuit..so stfu moron...and if you want something else buy something else..if you dont want the product and disagre with its terms then DONT BUY IT...idiot..

Ages120 said:
Why exactly can't you sell your steam account?

Why can't you sneeze with your eyes open? no one knows..no one cares.

Vertz said:
Why can't you sneeze with your eyes open? no one knows..no one cares.
Its because your eyes will pop out of your head DUH! lol, well like otheres have said if you don't agree with the EULA (i believe it would be stated in there) then don't play it. I for one don't care if I can't sell my steam account because I have never sold a game. I still have the original C&C.

Operator said:
Its because your eyes will pop out of your head DUH! lol, well like otheres have said if you don't agree with the EULA (i believe it would be stated in there) then don't play it. I for one don't care if I can't sell my steam account because I have never sold a game. I still have the original C&C.

Thats a myth I'll prove it *Rubs nose in dust and forces eyes open* :O

good idea people i might give a copy to my friends and make shore they use the offline mode. just hope we can play network with 1 copy...

Why would you want to sell Half Life 2? Think of the MODs that so many people are really anxious to start....I can tell you that there will be numerous MODs for Half Life 2 that will be good enough to compete with the top comercail games.

x2501x said:
A hello, you can do the same thing with a cd and a no cd patch. Jeez. Welcome to the 21st century. Steam is no different than buying it in a store. It is just a different means of getting the product. It makes it easier to share the game since you can let your friend in africa use your account. Other than that it is the same.

I am aware of this...but its a bit like Valve giving us the crack isn't it?

I always thought selling a PC game second hand was against the EULA anyway... even though it's not enforced.

x2501x said:
I am aware of this...but its a bit like Valve giving us the crack isn't it?
Kinda, but I am not giving my account info to nobody unless i sold it. Can you really trust your friends not to use it all at the same time then it gets taken away and your screwed. With a cd and a no cd patch, theres nothing to lose.

I'm sure this is something they'll be thinking about and taking care of.

Chris_D said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they add a feature to Steam where you can unmount a particular product from your Steam account to enable you to sell the product.

I dunno though...

Chris_D.... where is little billy?????!??!?!??!!? bring him baaaaaaaackkkkk... nooooooooooooo :(

Back