Cheap 64 Bit System

D

|Dystopia|

I'm building a PC on a tight budget of $400. I was going to get a XP 2700+ and a Abit NF7-S2 but I was looking around more and I think I can go for a 64 bit system. Here's what I had in mind:

CHAINTECH nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 Athlon 64 CPU, Model "VNF3-250" -RETAIL $76

AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - Retail $128

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail $70

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only $66

ENERMAX Blue Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case With 400W PSU, Model "10MCS-56881LBFS-D3" -RETAIL $60

Total = $400

Don't need any floppy drives or optical drives. Not getting a new video card yet, but thinking of 6600GT or 9800 Pro in January or February. Currently have a GF3 that runs HL2 on medium/DX 8.0 mode with my current 1 Ghz Athlon. Does the above look ok compatiblilty wise? Any other suggestion in the under $400 range? Thank you for any insight.

Cant see anything wrong with that at all. I would advise against a socket 754 system as its a dead end for upgrades but as you have a tight budget then its not a problem.

[Matt] said:
Cant see anything wrong with that at all. I would advise against a socket 754 system as its a dead end for upgrades but as you have a tight budget then its not a problem.

Are you kidding who cares, that's an Athlon 64 system with decent ram for only $400! That's an awesome deal, and a 6600GT or 9800 pro in the next couple of months will top it off. Nice thinking coming up with that, I'd never even consider that it could be that cheap, though it helps that you have some other parts.

:cheers:

I agree, everything looks great. Nice picks.
Like the case too, looks like it has a spot for a 120mm fan in the front as well.

You will need a floppy drive for installing windows on that SATA drive though. ;)

Thanks for input guys. I'll go ahead and go for it. I was a PC Tech a few years back, but it's been a while since I've been in "the game". Been working on producing and creating music so I haven't really caught up on the new technology. Most of it is common sense though, so I can still spot the decent parts. Got a nice 24/96 sound card waiting for this system. Of course I'll still put a few games on it, heh.

Oh and I have a black floppy drive lying around that I can use, so I'm still cool on that area. :D

bosox188 said:
Are you kidding who cares, that's an Athlon 64 system with decent ram for only $400! That's an awesome deal, and a 6600GT or 9800 pro in the next couple of months will top it off. Nice thinking coming up with that, I'd never even consider that it could be that cheap, though it helps that you have some other parts.

:cheers:

I did say i couldnt see anything wrong with it :p

Yeah im about to build a VERY similar config, Uprgrading from my 2500+ oc'd to 3200+ on an A7N8X-Deluxe.. Im picking up a 2800+ and epox nforce3 250, then maybe summertime Ill pick up the 3700+ chip for it.

|Dystopia| said:
Thanks for input guys. I'll go ahead and go for it. I was a PC Tech a few years back, but it's been a while since I've been in "the game". Been working on producing and creating music so I haven't really caught up on the new technology. Most of it is common sense though, so I can still spot the decent parts. Got a nice 24/96 sound card waiting for this system. Of course I'll still put a few games on it, heh.

Oh and I have a black floppy drive lying around that I can use, so I'm still cool on that area. :D

I'm 14 and i got my A+ certification :E

Back