Chrono Trigger (DS) review

Good to know the slow down is gone. I'm DEFINITELY picking this shit up.

mmm...

time to boot up the ol' SNES.
I'm probably going to get hit for this one, but why didn't they do an enhanced version like FFIII / FFIV? As much as they allowed for many of us non-Nintendo kids to catch up with some quality old titles, the GBA's rehashes weren't exactly pushing anything forward, and I'm surprised to see Eurogamer drooling over yet another one on a superior platform...

I really don't like the look of the revamped FF games on the DS. Ropey 3d and textures with little of the charm the originals boasted. I wouldn't buy a 3d remake of Chrono Trigger, but a cleaned up version with an improved menu that I can play on the way to work, oh yes :)

I really don't like the look of the revamped FF games on the DS. Ropey 3d and textures with little of the charm the originals boasted.
I can understand not liking the 3D work in general, but against the "charms" of the originals? I've always found the NES' pallette near nauseating, and FFIV was never that much of an upgrade...

They weren't so bad, but yeh, not stunning to look at. The snes FF's still look lovely. I'd have prefered the nes versions being given an overhaul to those standards, or beyond, for the DS, rather than the 3d we ended up with.

I'm still waiting for a truly stunning jrpg that keeps the same view, but in 1080p and with all the fancy goodness current technology could offer.

Got it. Love it. I love that they didn't touch the graphics--they really did not need to.

So, the game is just excellent. It's the perfect port. The split screen gameplay is actually pretty fun. Sure you don't REALLY need a map..but hell, it helps for those confusing bits..*Looks at the future*.

Anyway, I say if you love Chrono Trigger and have a DS, GET IT. I had to go buy another DS Charger because mine disappeared. Damn.

1228064694366la8.jpg

Back