City 17 being eaten????

KrazyKlown

Reaction score
I have heard this being thrown around the forums here and there, but I don't think this is how it is. Since the old guy on the screens when you start the game, I forget the name, tells everyone that this is a good place for them to be, and that they have to go through a certain amount of discomfort, maybe what is "eating" City 17 is really a new city. Maybe it is an City humans were able to build using Alien technology, and now, it is slowly replacing the old European like homes. As well, the fact that all these people are being photographed and questioned could mean that it is a screening process for being allowed into this new and advanced city. It probably gives defenses from the Xen attack that the normal cities could not use. Any comments?

I don't know why they would take people that were qualified to live in a "new and advanced city" and reward them by putting them in ghettos and enforcing it with armed guards. Just doesn't seem like the type of gated community I'd wanna live in..

holy shit. makes total sence. and thats why in the bug bait demo, the prison is abandoned. because the town was turned into a prison.

genious idea.

someone had a really great idea about City17. I am ashamed that i don't remember the users name, but neway...

the mystery user had the idea that City17 was a containment area for people surviving the aftermath of BlackMesa. all the scientists and so on live there.

Actually come to think about it, i disagree with that. After all the effort the adminstration put in in Hl1 to remove all evidence of the research at black mesa, it's unlikely they'd now turn around and offer everyone a nice little home.

I get the idea that there is an alien force behind the administration. This alien force, the benefactors, are harvesting humans for some reason. Maybe in exchange for Breene's use of the combine soldiers.

So the Combine are basically rent-a-cops who are sent from these "benefactors" in exchange for humans from City17.

Nah, that's utter bull. rent-a-cops... what was i thinking.

riTuaL said:
I don't know why they would take people that were qualified to live in a "new and advanced city" and reward them by putting them in ghettos and enforcing it with armed guards. Just doesn't seem like the type of gated community I'd wanna live in..

its better then the alian invasion going on outside the Combine walls,

Police state > Attacked by alian bugs

and the combine are human, the manatee is biotech, and the strider is a big, metal, walking, tank, not bio at all... :cheers:

i heard somewhere that throughout the game you hear people say stuff to you like "haven't i seen you before?", so that mystery user may have a good idea. i also agree with Esquire on the part of them trying to keep it under wraps.

its because you are a legand because of what you did at black mesa, and in the 15 year alien war, noone else has been able to singlehandedly own aliens like you did.... the combine is there to create a wall to keep aliens out, and making sure only people get in, no alieans

i dont know who the "benifactors" are tho, HL3 info maybe...

ok, since i like the prision idea, ill play off that.

i heard somewhere that throughout the game you hear people say stuff to you like "haven't i seen you before?"

I think that it is a prision, and theyve been brainwashed, so they somewhat remember you.

kotic said:
holy shit. makes total sence. and thats why in the bug bait demo, the prison is abandoned. because the town was turned into a prison.

well at least this idea doesn't seem so far fetched.
from what we have seen through the various screen shots and videos, its reasonable to believe City17 could be a prison.

Actually, the thread-starter's idea has a certain ring to it, for me... Possibly "eaten" means "being recycled", in this context...

Oh, and I'm 100% positive that the Strider is biomechanical. Look at the hip joints, the abdomen, and the hairs on the legs...

I think it looks like an alien with machineguns

If City 17 is a prison then where did all the weapons and other gear come from?

Well, they are a 'resistance'. They probably smuggled in weapons and nicked htem off the Combine.

When he said City 17 is a prison, I don't think he actually meant literally...

I think being eaten just refers to the citidel walls crushing the old city architecture.

KrazyKlown said:
I have heard this being thrown around the forums here and there, but I don't think this is how it is. Since the old guy on the screens when you start the game, I forget the name, tells everyone that this is a good place for them to be, and that they have to go through a certain amount of discomfort, maybe what is "eating" City 17 is really a new city. Maybe it is an City humans were able to build using Alien technology, and now, it is slowly replacing the old European like homes. As well, the fact that all these people are being photographed and questioned could mean that it is a screening process for being allowed into this new and advanced city. It probably gives defenses from the Xen attack that the normal cities could not use. Any comments?
THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK!
:E

Back