Co-op

Skullhair

Reaction score
Do you think there will be any kind of co-op in HL2? If not, how hard would it to be for someone to make a HL2 co-op mod? I've always wondered why no one has made a true co-op for Half-life.

Sven Co-Op is in the making for HL2.

However, true Co-Op, we don't know..

Sven Co-op is true Co-op. You can play Half-life through from start to finish with a friend right now.

If Sven Coop isn't "True Coop" what is? Yes Sven Coop will be modding HL2.

That is going to be awesome. But, it will be ALOT more complicated. Most importantly the AI. Will NPC's completely ignore everybody but the host player or something? Because when the npc is told to look at the player or if he has to respond to multiple players causing mischieve (gahh) what will he do? (or she)

This is where making custom maps will come into play. Modding it for the original sp will be very difficult without heavy modding.

HOPEFULY with this year long (well almost) delay, they had time to slap something together, god when will they realise we all love CO-OP :p
(or at least package Sven Coop with HL2) but I would prefer "True Co-Op" (in other words, not running through levels online with friends against monsters, but actually playing the single player campaign with a buddy or two.. ala Halo xbox)

vegeta897 said:
If Sven Coop isn't "True Coop" what is? Yes Sven Coop will be modding HL2.

That is going to be awesome. But, it will be ALOT more complicated. Most importantly the AI. Will NPC's completely ignore everybody but the host player or something? Because when the npc is told to look at the player or if he has to respond to multiple players causing mischieve (gahh) what will he do? (or she)

This is where making custom maps will come into play. Modding it for the original sp will be very difficult without heavy modding.

What I meant with "True Co-op" is playing the Single Player game with someone else. I have never played sven co-op but from what I was told you can not do this. This is the true co-op I was talking about, being able to play the SP game with someone else.

CO-OP is so underated. In some games, like Call Of Duty and some others, CO-OP would have been perfect but they didnt have it, and that really pisses me off. Deathmatch and team play gets old, but playing with a friend and watching each others back will never grow old.

Skullhair said:
What I meant with "True Co-op" is playing the Single Player game with someone else. I have never played sven co-op but from what I was told you can not do this. This is the true co-op I was talking about, being able to play the SP game with someone else.

You CAN play the entire SP game of Half-Life in Sven Co-op, plus a ton of other levels people have made that are completely separate from the SP of Half-Life. There are some that try to expand on the story, though. It's all around a very, very, good mod. You should give it a try!

What I meant with "True Co-op" is playing the Single Player game with someone else.

I'm confused, didn't we just say that this is exactly what you can do with Sven Co-op? Someone starts a server running the HL SP maps, and you play through them with as many people as the server allows.

I have never played sven co-op but from what I was told you can not do this.

You can, and I've done it.

This is the true co-op I was talking about, being able to play the SP game with someone else.

This is exactly what Sven Co-op does. Unless you mean on the SAME COMPUTER, in which case, no it doesn't do that, because that would be incredibly silly.

in other words, not running through levels online with friends against monsters, but actually playing the single player campaign with a buddy or two.. ala Halo xbox

Truly, you are well called, Mr. Redundant.

What sort of HL SP Co-op are you talking about? Running through the HL SP game, without levels or monsters? Er, what?

I think the next Cop will be similar to Serious Sam in the aspect of AI and enemies. I mean for every new host there will be new enemies to be implemented in the map. So for the original player is the original AI enemy, and for the rest of the host (friends) the mod will add extra AIs enemies into the map.

Apos said:
Unless you mean on the SAME COMPUTER, in which case, no it doesn't do that, because that would be incredibly silly.

Serious Sam - The second Encounter does this and it was fairly playable and fun.

Ok, I admit it, the only fun we had was trying to share the keyboard between 3 different people. (Get your hand off me!! Is this my jump!? Stop STOP!! No no your making me shoot!! etc) LOL :LOL:

You could always let someone use the keyboard while the other person gets the mouse... that's co-op... *cough*

Falcon(Nate) said:
You could always let someone use the keyboard while the other person gets the mouse... that's co-op... *cough*

That too is also fun, but I wouldn't call it "Coop"

Falcon(Nate) said:

Hey, I did that playing DOD! We called it tank-mode....

Apos said:
Truly, you are well called, Mr. Redundant.

What sort of HL SP Co-op are you talking about? Running through the HL SP game, without levels or monsters? Er, what?
yessir I am, however I was only clarifying what I meant, in comparison to what some think.

I play Sven Co-op, but playing through it single-player is buggy and disjointed.. and rightly so, its third party. well implemented but it has it's hitches.

usually when a company that developed the game adds in co-op its a somewhat decent experience, with relatively no bugs. So I would call an official Co-Op option "true Co-op" (although I was only trying to explain what the other fellow was refering to, since he thought that Sven was just playing online in disjointed levels against creatures)

I in fact just got done playing some Sven in steam :p, I like it.. just would prefer if it were 100% authentic (like Halo's Co-op... that was the best Co-Op game I have ever played)
I dont want to play through HL2, and have it crash or not work on certain levels, or have level teleportals etc.
:)

My site is doing an interview with Sven Coop about Half-Life 2 and it should be up soon.. i'll post something to let you guys know.

I have never experienced a bug in playing through Sven co-op HL SP. It is disjointed primarily because it changes maps whenever any player reaches the end of the level, and the levels are short in HL. Not sure what else they'd do. It's a pretty full-featured mod to: there's tons of stuff added.

I believe that Sven's HL2 Coop is officially supported by Valve: they'll be getting all sorts of advice and such on how to do it.

serious sam coop = AWESOME.

sven = ok (game not really designed for it, but still fun)

Yeah, the gametype of SS is really built to allow players to run around in different parts of a huge map blasting monsters. HL2 looks to have even more of a problem than HL 1 in this regard for co-op: it's built as a story that assumes that the player is part of the story. I don't think it would be that hard to do, but the SP game just isn't set up for it. That's the main reason why Sven mostly uses new maps which are more tailored to the idea of a couple of players messing around in a huge map with only a fairly loose story element.

Falcon(Nate) said:
:LOL: I remember when I did that! I think that was with Wolf 3D or Rise of the Triad or something.... ah, good times. :)

I love co-op play, but Serious Sam is too crazy for me sure, you get to shoot a lot, but suddenly spawning monsters triggered by taking the 1% health pill got old. :p

Styloid said:
Hey, I did that playing DOD! We called it tank-mode....

:dork:

co op never really did it for me because it was always so slow on the intenet, there's a lot more for the comp to think about and my poor little guy finds it tough.

Apos said:
Yeah, the gametype of SS is really built to allow players to run around in different parts of a huge map blasting monsters. HL2 looks to have even more of a problem than HL 1 in this regard for co-op: it's built as a story that assumes that the player is part of the story. I don't think it would be that hard to do, but the SP game just isn't set up for it. That's the main reason why Sven mostly uses new maps which are more tailored to the idea of a couple of players messing around in a huge map with only a fairly loose story element.

Well, the Sven team will have most of their problems alleviated by the fact that they've got Valve helping them this time round.

Also, it's nice to see you back, Apos!

Falcon(Nate) said:

Hehe, I knew someone, back in the days of Doom, that had one friend doing the shooting and aiming, while he walked. Otherwise he couldn't play it for some reason :LOL:

Abom said:
Also, it's nice to see you back, Apos!

Yes, welcome back Apos.. long time no see/hear/read :)

supposedly the next patch for Farcry is going to include Co-op (as well as some more MP modes), so thats going to be sweet :)

Me and my friend would try to complete a Paramedic mission or something on GTA3 with him controlling the steering, and me controlling the gas. :D

There's lots of possiblities.

Back