Coding Help

southpaw5253

Reaction score
Where can I go to get a simple tutorials on the basics of fiddling with Source code?
I've created a new mod with the Source SDK, and I can open the files, but I'd like something that could explain:
-what each .cpp and .h file's functions are
-how work it with Visual Studio 05
-how to compile and play

I'd like to make a mod with Visual Basic 6, but no idea where to start, so I wont bother asking.

Xendance, no offense, but if you're thinking about making mods in VB6, you're probably a long way from being able to code a mod. The SDK is written in C++, and the only way you're going to be able to make a mod is by writing C++ code.

Where can I go to get a simple tutorials on the basics of fiddling with Source code?
Learn as much about c++ as you can. The more you can use the programming language the more stuff you can do. C++ tutorials can be found in many places.
For example, here.

I've created a new mod with the Source SDK, and I can open the files, but I'd like something that could explain:
-what each .cpp and .h file's functions are
Learn c++.

-how work it with Visual Studio 05
I've only coded HL2 using '03, so someone else will have to answer this if there are any significant differences.

-how to compile and play
At the top of visual studio there is a menu item 'Build'. The first menu item under this is "Build Solution". This compiles your mod. The first time you do this it will take a pretty long time.

Once compiled your mod can be opened from steam or one of the batch files in the folder that contains your code files. If you don't see your mod in the steam window I think you'll have to restart steam for it to find your mod.

Back