Collector's Edition DVD ONLY

B

bhasman

My STEAM message to Erik Johnson
bhasman says:
Hi Erik, I was wondering is the special edition of HL2 only going to be on DVD
Erik Johnson says:
Yes.

I've never really had a good reason to buy a DVD drive until I learned about this. If you guys want I'll post a screencap.

Most interesting. Looks like I won't be getting the special edition after all (not unless it has some really bitchin' extras.)

this is the pic

Attachments

• dvdonly.jpg
    dvdonly.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,066
And where does it say it'll be on DVD ONLY? :rolleyes:

I think that Erik means that the only DVD format will be the special edition.

Id say they will still have normal edition and special edition on regular CD format, they wouldnt isolate their market like that.

Especially just for people who wasted money on a dvd player for their computer, to watch movies on a tiny moniter with shitty sound and no lounge.

i've had dvd players in my last 3 computers since 1999. Anyone who doesn't have a dvd drive in their computer probably dosen't have a computer worth playing hl2 on.

dvd drives have fast audio extraction rates, and you can copy dvds and convert then to divx/svcd for backups.

dvd drives are also a lot faster when they are reading dvd media. I can rip around a 4 GB movie in about 10 minutes with a 16x drive.

Special Edition on DVD? Now that's the kind of news I like to hear. :)

If you don't have a DVD drive, buy one. They are dirt cheap right now.

I have 5.1 surround sound, lounge chair, and 17 in monitor...

yea, I watch DVDs on my PC.
not to mention that my PC is also hooked up to a 32in TV... ;)

Originally posted by Crptic
i've had dvd players in my last 3 computers since 1999. Anyone who doesn't have a dvd drive in their computer probably dosen't have a computer worth playing hl2 on.

I have a monster computer, because i dont buy garbage i dont need.

Tell me can you sit where you computer is, with a large group of friends in comfortable chairs and watch starship troopers on a bigscreen with surround sound?

17 inch moniter? Pah. On a widescreen movie thats what, 15 cms high? Unless your using it for burning or media, better to buy a DVD player for your massive home TV than waste it on a computer one.

i don't watch movies on my computer either, thats why i showed the other things you can do with a dvd drive.

uhh, downloading movies anyone? thats the way to go, and on a 20 inch monitor or above everything is just fine.

btw: im here in california, having fun in the sun! hey, im within driving distance to seattle, do you think if i showed up at valves headquaters they would let me play the halflife 2 beta? how sweet would that be ;)

Originally posted by ReZeroX
do you think if i showed up at valves headquaters they would let me play the halflife 2 beta? how sweet would that be ;)
yes.. that or call security! :borg:

Crptic - You dumbass, I dont have a DVD player, and my PC is fully capable of playing HL2.
Plus, I have other DVD players to play on my much larger TV[w/ better sound], ****face.

[laugh]
Who says my computer isn't hooked up to a screen much larger then 17"? Like MUCH larger.

ReZeroX-

I live like 20 minutes from valve, I'll meet you there! :)

i just took a DVD- ROM out of my dads computer :)

I have a DVD player onmy PS2, a DVD player on my upstairs TV and my Computer.

I like to multi task so I usually just watch a movie in the corner of my screen, be it while reading stuff on the net, Writing Code, Working on Websites, Playing computer games.

Actually I'm watching a movie right now. DVD-ROMS usually have loads of cool stuff too... I will definatly buy HL2 on DVD. DVD also means the game will probably be on 1 disc as opposed to 2 or 3 which will make life slightly easier.

For the difference in price, I can't understand why anybody doesn't have a DVD player on their computer. It's about $10

Who invites their friends over to watch starship troopers? Never invite me to one of your parties...

Originally posted by Zigrah
I have a DVD player onmy PS2, a DVD player on my upstairs TV and my Computer.

I like to multi task so I usually just watch a movie in the corner of my screen, be it while reading stuff on the net, Writing Code, Working on Websites, Playing computer games.

Actually I'm watching a movie right now. DVD-ROMS usually have loads of cool stuff too... I will definatly buy HL2 on DVD. DVD also means the game will probably be on 1 disc as opposed to 2 or 3 which will make life slightly easier.

For the difference in price, I can't understand why anybody doesn't have a DVD player on their computer. It's about $10

Who invites their friends over to watch starship troopers? Never invite me to one of your parties...

theres a simple anwser for that....its 10$ that could be in my pocket....i have absolutly no need for one....we have 5 dvd players ....i have no need for one on my computer.........to me its useless

I still don't see where it says the Special Edition will be on DVD only. You asked him if it'll be on DVD and he replied with yes. You didn't ask him if it'd be on DVD only.

I aint bothered anyway because I have a DVD-Rom, but just pointing out that you might be wrong and therefore this thread is a waste of time :p

Fair enough, I just have a feeling people will be needing them in the not so distant future, I think eventually all games will be on DVD. How long that takes who knows.

Originally posted by Zigrah
Fair enough, I just have a feeling people will be needing them in the not so distant future, I think eventually all games will be on DVD. How long that takes who knows.

I agree ..but that is a few years away. ..the next time i build a computer ill think about it.

Originally posted by simmo2k3
Is the special edition available to pre order ?

Not that I have found so far! :(

I'll just have to ask my friend who works in an Amazon Distribution Point to look out for it for me!! :p

Originally posted by Crptic
Anyone who doesn't have a dvd drive in their computer probably dosen't have a computer worth playing hl2 on.
You, sir, are a moron.
A DVD drive is not a necessity purely by virtue of you owning one. So climb down off your high-horse.

In 1999 I bought a P3 500MHz 64mb RAM TNT2 GFX Card... Guess what? It had a DVD drive!!!! :eek:

hah, chris, yes - i built my computer, but used a few parts from my old machine, a compaq 5190(amd k6), and one of them was the dvdrom.

You know what, I bet there was a time when people refused to get a CD-ROM because they had a perfectly good CD player somewhere else in the household.

I wonder if they're still running on a floppy drive?

:p

I bought a dvd drive...for one simple reason
(when I bought it)

40x Cdrom drive $60
12x DVD rom 40x Cdread $60

so why not get the DVD feature even though I'll never use it??? might as well...and eventually cds will be too small to hold software and DVD's will be used (but by that time new hardware will be out...like a 72x DVD rom...)

I'll tell you why you need a DVD-ROM. Cd's allready ARE too small to hold software. When was the last time you bought a current game that could fit on one cd-rom? I expect them to stop making cd-rom drives in a couple years.

Originally posted by SensesFail
and eventually cds will be too small to hold software and DVD's will be used (but by that time new hardware will be out...like a 72x DVD rom...)

Funny thing is, most games minimum requirement is a 4x CD-ROM or Higher... Yet we all continue to get fafster and faster ones.

I wouldnt say that. ...they still manufacture tape cassettes .....and tape players..... you dont just stop making something like a cd-player ..the transition will be slow just like everything else.

DVD-ROM drives have to show a significant advantage over CD-ROM drives before people will be clamoring for one. Right now, they're still a gimmick that most people are willing to do without. Honestly, the thought of not having to switch CD's during installation is simply not a compelling enough justification for me to buy one.

Now Floppy Disks... they are becoming obselete. The PC system I've got does't have a floppy disk drive. Most of the machines you see for sale nowadays don't have a floppy drive with it. The thing is too... I've realised that now I haven't had one for about 12 months - I don't need one.

I have the best reason for having a DVD drive:

I do not own a television.
Yes, you heard me correctly. I don't ever watch TV. I love movies, and I watch them on my 21 inch monitor. with my stereo attached and set to AUX. Great sound, crisp picture, and i see no reason to complain.

Originally posted by Chris_D
Now Floppy Disks... they are becoming obselete. The PC system I've got does't have a floppy disk drive. Most of the machines you see for sale nowadays don't have a floppy drive with it. The thing is too... I've realised that now I haven't had one for about 12 months - I don't need one.

Except for flashing BIOS...but some motherboard makers even make windows based disk free flashing programs.

I'm surprised so many don't them too.
My P2 400mhz machine in 1998 had a DVD-ROM, kind of came to the conclusion that they were becoming pretty standard by now, but whatever.

A lot of us who build our own systems don't have them. If you're in the habit of buying a stock pre-built off the showroom floor then, yeah, you most likely have had one for a while.

you people are pathetic, you all say oh my computer is so fast, then you bitch about why you don't need one.

dvd drives are only like $10 more then a cd rom.

how about this, if you're too cheap to buy a dvd drive they you are probably to cheap to buy the special edition hl2.

Yeah, I'm pretty down about how I'll have to shell out 40 bucks for a DVD drive just to play the collector's edition. Eh, then again, games will switch to DVD pretty soon, so whatever. I actually think it's pretty cool I'll be playing Half Life 2 on a DVD, that's the sort of novelty that marks a new era of gaming.

Back