collectors edition question

headcrabboy

Reaction score
Why the heck dont we get the prima book and just this sampler thing? Thats kinda dissapointing :sniper: primabooks

Ummm.. doesn't the CE already get the prima book?

It's too big to fit in the box. :O

the prima boook is 30 bucks by itself. however, it is stiill kinda lame that we only get the sampler, seeing as we're paying 30 bucks more for an XL t-shirt that only 10% of the population is large enough to wear. So basically we're paying 30 dollars more for HL: S and the cheezy sampler.

But a T-shirt isn't? The collector's edition will be a larger box size more than likely.

because Valve is a bunch of douchebags that's why....

if the CE is anywhere near the silver package in price I won't buy it and just go regular retail instead....great way NOT to sell CE Valve! :rolleyes:

Hmmm I guess I was wrong. Yeah I thought that the CE would be filled with goodies. Guess Valve screwed you guys.

I was really looking forward to getting the CE, but when they actually said what was in it it was a huge letdown. I like to always get collectors edtions, but now I dont know if I wanna waste the money on pretty much worthless and not cool stuff.

It's not valve that screwed us, it's Vivendi. Vivendi is in charge of the retail packages.

vivendi is very lame ... so what exactly are all these books coming out??? theres like a hardcover and a paperback??? someone please describe/?? :D

A Big Fat CoW said:
It's not valve that screwed us, it's Vivendi. Vivendi is in charge of the retail packages.

Very true. The gold edition released on Steam should satisfy any collectors out there. I just wonder how big of a loan I'll need to get to buy it...

Yeah. That thing is FILLED. I want it, but it's probably going to cost as much as the graphics card I'm putting in it.

I am buying both the CE and the Gold package. Then I can roll around in all my HL2 goodies and weep with joy.

Happiness. That's what's in the gold. And HL2, which is three steps above happiness.

I don't really care. I'm not getting the CE. :)

they could make the prima books smaller... thats what they did to wc3 battle chest...they had smaller versions of prima books

Prima is a company that makes game guides, and they are probably the most well known.

I'm incredilby annoyed @ what the Gold package gets, and what the CE doesn't get. We get a shirt (xxl, wow, that sucks)..and a dvd..wowow

destrukt said:
Prima is a company that makes game guides, and they are probably the most well known.

I'm incredilby annoyed @ what the Gold package gets, and what the CE doesn't get. We get a shirt (xxl, wow, that sucks)..and a dvd..wowow
Buy the gold package then?

I know a lot of people like to have a physical box, but buying over steam supports Valve directly, you get more, and you can always buy a box later when retail prices drop anyway. If the CE included that 'Raising the Bar' book in full, I may have considered getting it, but I really think steam is the better way to go. Personally I'm not really into gimmicky stuff like hats and stickers, so it's steam silver for me.

I know a lot of people want to get the CE simply because they are huge fans, but I think the real fan thing to do would be to support Valve and buy over steam. Vivendi doesn't deserve your money. Valve does.

omg, i just got a visual of mirage rolling in hl2 stuff, crying like a bitch, hl2 will own you for sure

Some_God said:
Ummm.. doesn't the CE already get the prima book?
It's only a "sampler".
I know a lot of people want to get the CE simply because they are huge fans, but I think the real fan thing to do would be to support Valve and buy over steam. Vivendi doesn't deserve your money. Valve does.
By buying my CE, I support both. I know that Valve would've been nothing without the likes of Vivendi/Sierra.

I never assumed the book in the CE would be "raising the bar" - that book by itself is $30, there's no way you could expect to get that, HL2 on DVD, HL:S and a t-shirt for $30 more than the $50 regular version.

I assumed it would be the strategy guide (which are a waste of time - websites come out with as good or better info within 2-3 weeks, and anything that is unique to the guide will be included on the websites eventually), but now we find out that it isn't even -that-, it's just a 'sampler' which contains parts of the strat guide and raising the bar, and perhaps other junk.

Whoop-de-doo. This CE really is a waste of time.

Out of all the things in the CE. The fact that the book is a sampler gets me angry. Its just advertising!
Give us the proper stragety guide or something else! Like the soundtrack.
I would love to know, who made this package, valve or vivendi...Whoever it was deserves some bitch slappin

Hi Tom,

The Prima sampler included in the Collector's Edition contains sample
chapters from the Half-Life 2 strategy guide and one chapter from
Raising the Bar.

Cheers

Tiddalick said:
Out of all the things in the CE. The fact that the book is a sampler gets me angry. Its just advertising!
Give us the proper stragety guide or something else! Like the soundtrack.
I would love to know, who made this package, valve or vivendi...Whoever it was deserves some bitch slappin

amen.
really.. i'd like to know what they were thinking in that pea brain of theirs.

Javert said:
By buying my CE, I support both. I know that Valve would've been nothing without the likes of Vivendi/Sierra.
Perhaps, but rather than supporting Valve for making great games that make a lot of money, Vivendi is instead screwing them over and trying to force them to hand over the intellectual property to HL2 through legal proceedings. They didn't fund the game, nor did they develop it, yet they are trying to gain control over it simply for the benefit of their bank balance.

Nobody should be in control of the Half-Life franchise but Valve, or else the artistic integrity of the series will go out the window, and we'll see it milked for all it's worth with a multitude of quickly developed titles, rather than fewer, very carefully developed ones.

Save Half-Life! Support Valve! Buy over Steam!! Vivendi only want your money, not your satisfaction.

[/propaganda]

Logic said:
Buy the gold package then?

Yup, your post made a lot of sense and I'm considering ordering.

The reason I wanted it was for the box/dvd and I kind of feel more secure have a hl2 cd to install off, rather then a vulnerable steam accnt with cache.

But will the Gold package cost more ? It has dod, back catalogue etc. Surely it'll be say $140, but I'm willing to pay more.

destrukt said:
Yup, your post made a lot of sense and I'm considering ordering.

The reason I wanted it was for the box/dvd and I kind of feel more secure have a hl2 cd to install off, rather then a vulnerable steam accnt with cache.

But will the Gold package cost more ? It has dod, back catalogue etc. Surely it'll be say $140, but I'm willing to pay more.
Until recently, I also wanted a box.. I know exactly what you mean about the security of having a physical copy, and for that reason I'll probably be buying a boxed version at some point in the future (when they are much cheaper).

Luckily, we can burn our steam cache to CD\DVD, as well as re-download if there's a HDD crash or something. The only way there will be problems with steam versions is if steam itself stops functioning.. but that would cause problems for retail users too (they won't be able to authenticate their copy \ account, or play anything online if they already have) so Valve will have to make sure that doesn't happen.

As for price, I think (hope) that Valve will either match, or beat the CE retail price with the gold package, in order to attract as many steam customers as possible. I guess price will be the determining factor for most people.

Back