Computer Recommendations

I

isp_of_doom

Well Im thinking of getting back into computer games, but having only a rather mediocre laptop, i feel in need of a new computer.

(im posting on these forums because I like Halflife 2 (+mods)).

anyhow.

Im thinking of getting an Alienware Area 51 with the following specs:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 550 w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 1MB Cache
Corsair 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB Recommended
High Performance - Serial ATA - 160GB Seagate® Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround Firewire (IEEE® 1394)

these are just the main specs im worried about,

graphics card wise:
im split between:
Geforce 6600 GT 128MB (for an extra $197)
Geforce 6800 256MB (for an extra $434)
Geforce 6800 GT 256MB (for an extra $639)

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on these, I want something that will last quite well, so i neednt keep upgrading, etc. How much of a difference is there between those listed cards, and is it worth the price?
How well will this run Half life 2?

If anyone has any comments about Alienware that would help as well, thanks. (and about their cable management system)...

thanks.

What graphics card comes with it? And picking what graphics card depends on how "intense" you wanna go. But if your just the average gamer, Id go for the 6600 GT.

Id go for the best, you are getting an alienware so why not buy the monster :>

You could buy the same system cheaper if you build it yourself. Or a better system for the same price.

yea, I realise i could get the system cheaper, but Alienware seems to be far more stable. Considering my last computer (self built and upgraded over the years), I want something I can just turn on, and it works. So Im prepared to spend a bit more for stability and a good brand.

I want to be an average gamer, but an average gamer who doesnt have to buy a new graphics card too soon :)

I'd say go with the Geforce 6800 256MB then. I don't think there's a big difference between that one and the Geforce 6800 GT 256MB, but I could be wrong, and the price difference is pretty big.

I say build your own. That system is probably gonna cost like $2000. My current system has cost me 1000 and can probably outperform that one.

The only thing I would say is try and get one either with a 6800GT gfx card or a X800XL gfx card and also I think you can get them with AMD 64 CPU's too. Would perform better in games that the P4.

i will probably save up the extra $ for a 6800GT.

The athlon 64...ill look into that one

Ewww, alienware. Just build it yourself or get someone to build it. Go for hte x800xl rather than the 6800gt, the x800xl sells for 284 dollars or something on newegg. Geforce 6800 GT 256MB (for an extra $639)? wtf? a 6800gt itself sells for under 400 dollars. Amd is better for gaming and really math heavy apps. So basically you should go to your nearest computer shop and ask them if you can pay them to build a computer if you buy the parts.

the x800xl is the best bang for your buck right now, before that came out it was the 6800gt. I wish i could afford Alienware- just turning it on and not having to worry- ive had so many problems with my partially self built computer. btw, that 6800gt is so expensive prolly because its an Nvidia brand 6800gt- ie. the original, so faster clock speed and better cooling.

Dont worry about the prices I quoted (its x amount EXTRA anyway). Their all in NZ dollars, not american (www.xe.com/ucc)...I think its a safe bet to divide them by 2 for a very approximate american equivilant.

how much of a performance increase (and cost increase) is the x800xl? Im kinda biased towards nvidia, and if the increase isnt revolutionary, im not really up for changing to ATI.

yo im from new zealand too. Got the leadtek 6800gt for $730NZD at Ascent. Im on my 4th one now after 3 RMAs, as be wary of them- im sure they wont be a problem through Alienware anyway. I knoow i probably haven't enthused you just now, but have you though about Ascent? They are actually pretty good- build your comp for you- free delivery etc.

J_Tweedy - Nope, never heard of ascent (are they in auckland/do they have a website?)...sorry to be ignorant, but what are RMA's? How long did they last before you had to replace them?

go to www.ascent.co.nz
They are based in Willis St Wellington, and have given me very good service.
RMAs are when you have a faulty peice of hardware, and a return or full credit refund is arranged (if appropriate). Although i had problems, none of them were Ascent's fault, and they dealt with the suppliers very well.
btw- how much is it costing to ship an Alienware way over here? Must cost a packet bro!

And my 6800gts lasted me various lengths of time- the longest was around 3 months before i sent it back due to overheating problems. (dont get Gigabyte 6800gts!)

DONT(!) get Gigabyte GTs? that surprises me, i thought they were one of the top brands (sales and publicity wise at least).

Costing for alienware www.alienwaresystems.co.nz they've just expanded to australia and new zealand....so...shipping shouldnt be costing too much.

yeah the gigabyte nvidia cards look cool and all, but actually their cooling is worse than stock nvidia. Leadtek's fairly good on the other hand, and Artic Silencer 5 is even better if you want to rip off the stock heatsink and void the warranty!
Im sure you wont be disappointed in the slightest going with Alienware, its just its a lot of money you could put to better use somewhere else. Dont get me wrong, if I could afford it, i'd be onto Alienware in a flash.

yea, im not sure i can afford it, not without some serious saving at least....but we'll see. So far im liking that ascent website.

well i hadn't, ill check it out. How you going on ascent? Did you use their pc builder? pretty handy.

-yeah, the prices there do seem a bit cheaper than Ascent's. Also free delivery

ascent looked good, but it didnt have a few things i wanted, another friend pointed me over to computer lounge...all i need now is money

Back