Confirmation of Dual Channel memory with Socket 939 Athlon 64

The Hulk

Reaction score
Starting to gather parts for my next system. Some will be purchased, some will be a handmedown from a buddy who upgrades everytime something comes out new.

1. Athlon 64 (basic 64, FX and Dual Core) supports dual channel memory (socket 939), right?

Looking into getting some Corsair TWINX2048 (2 X 1G) XMS3200 memory. I plan on getting either a 64 4000+, dual core or FX processor as well (939 socket). I am familiar with Gigabyte motherboards and IWILL to an extent, but understand ASUS has some of the best boards out there, so I have a question:

2. What would be the best M/board out there for the CPUs/memory I have listed above, that has all the onboard goodies (NIC, onboard sound, usb, firewire, etc) and PCI-E for the graphics card.

I know there are similar posts out there, but to search for my exact needs is exhausting. Looking for some others that have similar specs as a system like the above to chime in and tell me what M/B they use and if they like it.

Thanks guys,
Hulk

just bought an A64 3500+ and upgraded to PCI-X simultaneously, best value board i found was the ASUS A8N-E, supposedly much better than the similar A8V-E, only downside is no FW, but you can get PCI cards for peanuts nowadays, my Audigy2 ZS has one onboard:)

TheHulk said:
1. Athlon 64 (basic 64, FX and Dual Core) supports dual channel memory (socket 939), right?

right

The Hulk said:
2. What would be the best M/board out there for the CPUs/memory I have listed above, that has all the onboard goodies (NIC, onboard sound, usb, firewire, etc) and PCI-E for the graphics card.

^^^^^what the_lone_wolf said: I have an ASUS A8N-SLI and I love it. Great on-board sound btw. Haven't bought a sound card yet. But idd no firewire.

Shakermaker said:
But idd no firewire.

A8N-SLI does have firewire... well, mine does. :|

A8N-SLI has been an awesome mobo for me so far, i'd recommend it :)

Thanks evryone. I'll check out those motherboards. I use headphones, so I don't need a 7.1 Dolby set up at all. Sound is good.
Firewire PCI add on card wouldn't be expensive either..

Thanks all!
Hulk

Well, with the A8N has all the expansion cards come with it, USB and Firewire... enough SATA cables to, i dunno, feed the 5000. :)

Back