old and 'dated (750 mhz) cpu

fairly new and decent (nVidia, 256mb Vram) video card

a somewhat unstable internet connection

WinXP operating system

Lots and lots (over 150 Gb) of Hd space

My goal for running this:

at least 8 fps, im used to low framerates

Physics processed accurately enough to at least look good

I'd be happy with any answer so dont hold back from saying it flat out wont work.

It would be better if you stated which model graphics card you're using, although if it has 256 MB then it can't be too bad, at least for the Source engine. Your RAM is ok for HL2, but you'll have to upgrade it if you want to run any newer game decently. Your CPU will really kill you though.

The cpu is pretty much why im asking. I dont mind having a low fps as long as its still playable.

edit- Video Card: GeForce FX 5200

Your ram won't be an issue, thats fine. Your card isn't HL2 standard but it would do the job. The minimum spec for processors is 1.2Ghz, which you have half of. You could probably reduce your settings to an ugly, yet playable state at perhaps 1.0ghz or something, but i think you may be cutting it very fine. I wouldn't like to say.

You can download the demo from steam for free and try it out, with lowest settings and resolution, combined with some console commands we can give you to give you those vital few frames per second, but can't promise you anything i'm afraid. Best of luck.

edit: Check the tweaks here to improve your performance, there are many commands you can do to reduce the games strain on your system, so it would be best to create a config file, which loads up each time you play, which intiates all the commands so you don't need to type them each time. There is a pretty long list on the 'advanced page 2 and 3' which all could go to squeezing every last part of your systems capabilities. Once again, this is just help, not an assurance it will work sorry. :)

how is a game playable at 8fps?
Upgrade your processor for the love of god, you could get something twice the speed of what you've got, for pocket change...

The game will strangle your processor like Homer strangles Bart.

The reason i dont have a good computer is because I'm fairly young, as in a high school student, and i cant afford computers so i get hand-me-downs.

edit- and having a slow computer, i make 8 fps playable :p

I feel your pain, but if you're that much into games, a new CPU would be worth saving up whatever money you have...

Alan said:
The reason i dont have a good computer is because I'm fairly young, as in a high school student, and i cant afford computers so i get hand-me-downs.

edit- and having a slow computer, i make 8 fps playable :p

No excuse.

I got a summer job helping some dude fix up his house, to fund my 2k dollar PC.

Upgrade. Now.

What kind of mobo you got? We could help you better if we knew.

You know not everyone has the expertise to change a processor with all the fan and heatsink business? And his mobo may not be capable of upgrading any further, besides his cash flow problem. I posted a link for you Alan which gives you the best chance of running the game, using the demo as a guide. Try that before anything, and if it doesn't work you'll have to bite your lip.

I doubt ill need a new processor any time soon. I ran the demo, no tweeks default settings. Not only did it run, it ran fairly smoothly. I litterally said "Makes me wonder who the heck built this pc." XD

edit- and when i get a good cash flow its going to more important things than computers

I'm glad for you, if it runs satisfactory enough for you then go buy and enjoy the game. Can't believe your PC can handle it, it must be in great shape and nice and clean. Hope you don't get any other problems, but we'll try and help out if we can in such a case. Good luck.

Back