Constantly lose wireless connection

Glirk Dient

Reaction score
I just got a d-link DLG-4300 wireless router. I have 3 computer I am trying to hook up to it. One is wired, works fine. Second is a laptop and works fine. The 3rd is a brand new dell inspiron e1705. I am trying to hook it up wirelessly to the router. When I reboot or do repair connection it can see the network and I can connect to a few web sites for about 5 seconds and then I lose connection. At no point can I connect to the router configuration page.

The laptop is right next to the router so it isn't a range issue. I moved the router around to make sure it wasn't the modem/monitor affecting its connection and that didn't help. The laptop has SP2 and uses a dell utility to detect wireless networks. I enabled WZC so windows could search for wireless networks and that did not work. Anyone have any ideas?

Nice router you've got there, i've got the same one myself :D

Firstly, I'd suggest making sure Windows' connection manager isn't conflicting with a connection manager that came with your PCs Wifi card - i've had this problem before, and the symptoms were just as you describe. Was solved by disabling windows XPs connection manager.

Secondly, i'd suggest disabling XPs firewall. Can't think what else it can be - it's finding the connection alright, and its not a range issue. Sure sounds like conflicting software to me.

Try updating / replacing Router Firmware.

Try changing the freq the router runs on.

Tried all of these. I disabled Super G mode and it worked fine. I came back the next day and am having the exact same problems.

Here is the sympton of my problems from the Microsoft site. They say I need SP2 but I already have it.

On a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you successfully make a wireless network connection to your network. However, you lose the connection and you cannot reconnect to the network unless you do one of the following:
• Restart your computer.
• Eject and then re-insert the network card.
• Disable and then re-enable the network card.

I've had the same problem forever.

There's something about Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service where it disconnects you in search of better networks.

I'd suggest disabling it once you're connected and see what happens.

I've had the same problem forever.

There's something about Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service where it disconnects you in search of better networks.

I'd suggest disabling it once you're connected and see what happens.

He has a dell wireless utility so WZC is disabled. I tried disabling the dell thing and endabling WZC and cant get a network.

make sure that...

a. Windows is set to configure the wireless card
b. As other suggest, make sure the that Dlink card software isn't configureing the card.
c. Make sure the wireless antenna option is turned off if you have one.

if your near a cordless phone or cell phone, that could be the problrm as well.

Back