Cool Things I Hope Happen In HL2

Democritus

Reaction score
To distract us from SKUs . . .
Knowing the things that Source can do, I thought the following might be nifty in game scenarios. Before anyone flames me, I fully acknowledge that (1) there is no "point" to this thread, (2) it should never have been started, and (3) there have probably been tons of threads like this:

1. Midnight, Raining, ruined part of town. Gordon gets in buggy/vehicle and has to get from one end to the other while combine soldiers chase him around on their vehicles (buggy needs rear view mirror).

2. Infiltrating the Strider hangar, commandeering the Strider, and fighting other striders/vehicles/soldiers with it.

3. Descending into an Ant Lion breeding pit with the gigantic Mother Ant Lion boss battle

4. Subway/ Tramride through hostile territory with combine soldiers jumping on / blasting apart the vehicle as it goes.

5. Undertaking a mission against the Combine with resistance fighters where there is a formal objective, a briefing, you leading the team out

6. Ye olde damsel in distress scenario with Alyx, or vice versa. .. Gordon in distress, saved by Alyx -- which may be more "with the times"

7. A Nihilanth floating through City 17 . . .

those are some fun ideas... some you wont see, but some you might

I bet when you finish the game and look back at this, after beating the game and knowing the whole story, about half of this stuff wouldn't or couldn't happen because of various things in the Half-Life world, and the other half would just look stupid to you. I'm sorry but that's just the way I look at it. It's too early to tell, and will be until we get the game.

Originally posted by Democritus
To distract us from SKUs . . .
Knowing the things that Source can do, I thought the following might be nifty in game scenarios. Before anyone flames me, I fully acknowledge that (1) there is no "point" to this thread, (2) it should never have been started, and (3) there have probably been tons of threads like this:

1. Midnight, Raining, ruined part of town. Gordon gets in buggy/vehicle and has to get from one end to the other while combine soldiers chase him around on their vehicles (buggy needs rear view mirror).
I like that one

2. Infiltrating the Strider hangar, commandeering the Strider, and fighting other striders/vehicles/soldiers with it.
Isnt the strider a creature? How do you commandeer an alien?

3. Descending into an Ant Lion breeding pit with the gigantic Mother Ant Lion boss battle
Im on the fence.

4. Subway/ Tramride through hostile territory with combine soldiers jumping on / blasting apart the vehicle as it goes.
I like this idea too.

5. Undertaking a mission against the Combine with resistance fighters where there is a formal objective, a briefing, you leading the team out
Cool again

6. Ye olde damsel in distress scenario with Alyx, or vice versa. .. Gordon in distress, saved by Alyx -- which may be more "with the times"
Better yet, a second, X-rated ending entitled Gordons Big White Mesa ;)

7. A Nihilanth floating through City 17 . . .
NOOOOOOO! Nothing Xen related please god!

That would be stupid...sorry

I can't even explain what I really hope will happen in the game because there are so many things that I wish will happen and there's no end to the possibilities

Originally posted by MrWhite
those are some fun ideas... some you wont see, but some you might

Well, yeah. This is just "imagination" at this point. I don't think anything in my list is outside of Source's capabilities, but some are likely outside of gameworld constraints.

Haha yeah, I know, I know thise thread was just for fun

Re: Re: Cool Things I Hope Happen In HL2

Originally posted by Frank
That would be stupid...sorry

Not a Mechwarrior fan, then? I dunno. Lumbering through town in a huge machine blowing things up appeals to me for some reason.

Originally posted by nw909
God damnit I really thought striders we're like xen aliens.

Well does anyone know that they aren't?

Well they belong to the combine as stated in the valve info thread by gabe.

But in the gamespy interview it said the striders fall limplessly to the ground after being shot with a shotgun, wouldn't it go up in flames, maybe explode?

God damnit I really thought striders we're like xen aliens.
Do we have any info on this? They look like huge machines in the videos...not organic at all. I though they were advanced tech from the combine, like the "scanners" that run around and the HEV type suits their soldiers wear. Could be wrong. We have little info.

Stuff I'd like to see are combine soldiers on that dried lake defending themselves from alien attacks, and you watch :D
Those crossfires were really cool in HL, watching how the AI reacts and stuff.
I'm pretty sure we'll be able to witness it again in HL² :afro:

About the Strider discussion:
Well it would seem weird that a vehicle would spike a soldier, wouldn't it? It seems more like an animal thing to do.

Read previous post.
My understanding is that there was the "Combine" which were more technology oriented, maybe tech/organic hybrid. Xen aliens were ALL organic, no machinery at all.

Getting shot by a shotgun or hitting the ground wouldn't necessarily cause any explosions. Just looking at the things, they seem to have mechanical joints, steel spikes for feet, and shoot a gatlin type gun, all of which seem fairly unorganic.

Originally posted by Frank
About the Strider discussion:
Well it would seem weird that a vehicle would spike a soldier, wouldn't it? It seems more like an animal thing to do.

Yeah, he reacts like an animal, if it were a mech the pilot wouldn't look at the mechs foot by moving the whole body to just shake it off, probably would just continue moving.

And having metal spikes would be damaging to walk on the cobblestone streets of city 17.

edit: and its a laser gun.

Attached the best up close pick of Strider I could manage. Just doesn't look organic. It may be hybrid ("combine") in the sense it is a machine that behaves like an animal ??? Looks like bolts and metal to me.

Yes, combine could be very possible, I think the name is a key in the storyline.

But also look, who would fit in that?

How was that airship called? Wasn't it called the Alien Gunship? From who are those things then? Xen of Combine? Because I thought Gabe did say there wasn't a second alien race?
I would say they belong to the combine (but then again, what is the combine precisely?) because the Xen solely use organic weapons. Metal cannot possibly be produced by any organism.
I'm pretty sure it belongs to the combine, but then why is the aircraft called an Alien Gunship?

The alien gunship also bends in ways an aircraft could never bend and seems to have fins like a whale and glide through the air with a prop on the back, It looks "combined" too.

Got a point there. Well, one dream down :|

Someone really flexible!

Yeah, it DOES look like bolts but I guess it's some sort of shield wrapped around the strider. I don't know, I'm just coming up with arguments because I fear it's mechanical!
But hey, would a robot react if you threw a letter made out of metal that's about 5 kilos heavy?
And another thing, it's reactions to things are way to fast if shows that it's a robot!

i have a concept art piece of a strider clipped from a pcgamer stuck to my wall. From seeing the picture it looks to me like a retrofitted zen alien. Aside from the guns and wire looking things you can see hairs and segmentaion like you'd see on an insect. Also the flid and insectoid way it moves really rules out pure robotics as robots are more prone to precise motions.

However if i was wrong and it was pilotable, that would not be hard, despite the illusion that its body is small due to its long legs, the body is actually more than big enough to contain a human pilot.

yeah a combination sounds good to me...
maybe a strider is a living thing, like an animal, and they just put chips in his brain to control it somehow or make it attack people.
and they put some laser cannon under his 'head' and erm well yeah...

The alien gunship also bends in ways an aircraft could never bend and seems to have fins like a whale and glide through the air with a prop on the back, It looks "combined" too.

Yeah could be, but combine also means a syndicate which they could be too.

EDIT: for me the most likely is an organic animal patched up with metal parts and armor. This also shows a bit of cyborg features:
combass.jpg

I think it's an organic species that some other race thats smarter (aliens?) "modified" into like a "bionic creature". Implants to control its brain, modifications to its feet (the steel spikes almost like putting metal on horse' hooves or something), and a gun to do massive damage!

This forums cool :afro: :cheers:

Originally posted by @bel
yeah a combination sounds good to me...
maybe a strider is a living thing, like an animal, and they just put chips in his brain to control it somehow or make it attack people.
and they put some laser cannon under his 'head' and erm well yeah...

Hmmm, how about instead of a brain chip if it was a head crab controlling him! That'd be cool...unlikely, but cool.

Imagine bringing down a big hulking strider and having the head crab unlatch itself and sneak up and kill you...how embarassing

I want a multiplayer map where I get to drive a Strider & all the rest of you are running around gunless screaming in terror!!! Mwahaha!

no seriously I just want to play, please can I play now? Just for two minutes I promise

I seriously remember reading somewhere the strider is a mutated headcrab, or maybe they just said it looked like one, meh, whatever.

We'll have to examine closely when the next high-res vids come out.

I think the striders and alien gunships are biomechanicals (a hybrid of a living organism and machine) I doubt they're just alien organisms, do you really think they would shoot bullets and reality bending laser beams? No, they're either mechanical or biomechanical

Back