Could HL2 be released much earlier than we think?

clarky003

Tank
Reaction score
Could valve end up releasing HL2 way before predicted release dates?. (Im not getting my hopes up) But seemingly the big picture doesnt add up. and im confused... and would really like peoples intuitive comments on this. Was the Stolen code hyped up so it seemed worse than it actually was? (after the hype valve have now gone quiet, working hard on the code restructuring? answering a few questions, keeping everyone on there seats.. a good marketing ploy? or just a bit of good fortune that we think like this?).. even though ive seen some convincing facts it wasnt hyped atall.. the media are renouned for it, when something commercial and financial goes wrong.

Disapointment followed when the delay was announced, but no official dates. March, April, 2004? a buffer zone? .
One things for sure Valve arnt stupid and keeping quiet (leaving us to speculate) is exactley what I would do, given the situation. then perhaps ... Christmas time. 'Bam' .shock factor... going gold.... on the shelves right under our noses... ' wow' 'attractive'.. :) good going valve . Suprising and Satisfying us around Christmas time.. a great marketing decision?. And maybe a decision they wouldnt want to miss? (not when people buy things alot, at this time of year) ....They seem to be full of suprises.. I can almost smell something up there sleeve, can you?.........

(smells like HL2)

Originally posted by clarky003
(smells like HL2)

I smell it too!
Wait.. I think a mod farted :frown:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HL2 was released very soon. I would be thrilled :)

well if it is,, it is.. and then the there will be no need for threads like this

I would be thrilled :)

thats exactley the reaction they'll be playing for.. :) I would be too.

Well, Gabe was denying that it'd come out this year (Marketing?), but if it did then it would be sweet, because then I could play it for three months before going back to uni...

that would be sweet, :)..

(marketing?)

yep marketing their product, 'flashing it infront of our eyes' so to speak.
they are looking to get there money remember that they spent in developement., profit = continuation of valve, very important<

it's true, nothing seems to add up w/ every bit of info we've had over the past few months... and i've been having a feeling something cool will happen soon... but then i stop w/ the wishful thinking, because, in the end i think that's what it is ;( *sniffle*

I think it will HAVE to release before the other DX9 games, otherwise it will lose a big part of the market share.

And on top of that, if HL2 is released around or after DX9 (and OpenGL2.0) games like Stalker and Doom 3, Ati's deal with Valve is useless because Ati chose HL2 to promote with because it would be the first game to fully exploit DX9. In april, it won't be so promoting DX9 capabilities of Ati cards with HL2 will be useless.

I think we all entertain a fantasy like this one in our heart of hearts, but for me, Gabe's newest e-mails have really killed it.

If they were going to surprise us, then he wouldn't reply. there would be no point in replying in the negative.

Originally posted by PvtRyan
I think it will HAVE to release before the other DX9 games, otherwise it will lose a big part of the market share.

And on top of that, if HL2 is released around or after DX9 (and OpenGL2.0) games like Stalker and Doom 3, Ati's deal with Valve is useless because Ati chose HL2 to promote with because it would be the first game to fully exploit DX9. In april, it won't be so promoting DX9 capabilities of Ati cards with HL2 will be useless.
actually doom isn't DX9, kinda explains why they chose nvidia? doom is really really pretty DX7 with a splash of DX9. stalker is probably dx9 though.

Originally posted by hunter-killer25
actually doom isn't DX9, kinda explains why they chose nvidia? doom is really really pretty DX7 with a splash of DX9. stalker is probably dx9 though.

Doom 3 is OpenGL 2.0, prolly the only game that uses it.

Heres some info from Amazon, which may or may not be reliable. I don't know.

Prima have released an official strategy guide for HL2 and a mod makers guide, or at least it says they have on Amazon. Me wonders how they got their hands on enough info... Actually it could be they have announced the books, but it still looks suspicious.

Amazon say HL2 will be released on April 2nd 2004. :bounce: Wouldn't mind if this was true, but it'll probably be delayed again.

I truelly hope it can come out early...But i doubt it now ;(

Re: Re: Could HL2 be released much earlier than we think?

Originally posted by AcneBrain
I smell it too!
Wait.. I think a mod farted :frown:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HL2 was released very soon. I would be thrilled :)

rofl... for some reason that was funny as hell... anways dont get your hopes up cz isint even out yet SPECULATION: didnt pass quality insurance of vivindi/sierra anyone??? haha why else would it stay in "publishing" for so long valve must be fighting legally with its publishers i mean steam certainly wont do them any good... anyway back on topic hl2 this year?? soon?? i doubt it give it a few months :dork:

that lil idea sprang into my mind when planethalflife suspected the same thang :cheese:

basically. if it is earley it will be announced with little notice ? maybe? around Jan, Feb , Mar, Apr,.. lol..? take your pic

still mildly confusing.. oh well

Originally posted by PvtRyan
Doom 3 is OpenGL 2.0, prolly the only game that uses it.

Whatever, Doom3 has not a single OpenGL 2.0 line in its code. In fact it even doesn't use OpenGL 1.5!

Doom3 has been coded with DX7 class hardware in mind (although of course it doesn't use D3D) and therefore uses OpenGL 1.2 through 1.4.

Stop spreading rumors about D3 being OGL 2.0, it's wrong!

I doubt it. Despite the suspicious fact that EVERY game outlet is advertising it, its unlikely that it'll come out this year.
TF2? Don't even go there...

Stalker? looks like CS to me, with a pretty good physics engine, seriously, looks nothing like HL2 to me.

U have been MINDArised

Originally posted by ZQW
heard that stalker's Dx8,can't believe it looks so amazing.

i could have sworn it was DX 9 either way tho if HL2 doesn't come out before Doom 3 MOH PA and Stalker well... lets just say hope that it doesn't:eek: ;(

I'm wouldn't be surprised if it was out at christmas (They said the were working extra hard to get the release date to be this christmas). when the hacker hacked, and the game was gameless, Gabe and the development team must of known to keep a at least one computer off the server and disconnection from the outside world. any game, source content should of been transferred to this computer using backup CDs, DVDs. This should of been used as a contingency plan, incase of something like this happens. These people are smart, they would of had backup for the game. its just a matter of making sure its all there.

Originally posted by chimpmunk
looks like theyre repeating TF2's history...

so sad;(

Actually smells more like hl1s history, it got delayed a full year before being released.

Yeah at its time of delay-age it was a pretty obscure game that no-one really cared that much about...it wasn't until a few months before its release that people started getting excited.

clarky003 said:
Could valve end up releasing HL2 way before predicted release ?

do you mean "way before 30 september 2003" ? it would be great !!

Loco said:
Amazon say HL2 will be released on April 2nd 2004. :bounce: Wouldn't mind if this was true, but it'll probably be delayed again.
Wow, my brithday, that would kickass if HL2 is released on my birthday.
I'll buy this game whenever it comes out because, well it's the sequel to HL and I find that game more fun than many other more technically advanced games and I can still enjoy HL now even though I can see its age. Also, it should be great for mod makers and many of the mods will make the game worth buying.

Well, it is quite possible. If the game is released after Far Cry, which should be released late January early February, the graphics won't be as amazing, but thay will still be amazing. But, it would be a great suprise if it was released in a few weeks.

Maybe valve did just pull a publicity stunt.
Maybe they released part of the code.
Because the idea behind the sales system they are going to have does sort of go with the hacker.
Valve is releasing the single player version for like $20 or something around that hoping that that will make people want to get the multiplayer version.
They could of done this to get people to play the "stolen" version. This would probably create a lot of hype, which it did.
So They may be doing a publicity stunt.

My guess, not that it means much, is that HL2 will be out around March. Yep it is really a good time to be a gamer. I'm out.

Back