Counter-Strike: Source and Engine Update

Reaction score
Valve have released an update over Steam today, concerning certain issues within Counter-Strike: Source and the Source Engine itself. The full changelog is as follows:

[br]Counter-Strike: Source
  • Added buy favorite system
  • Added location names to voice chat
  • Soundscape files will be loaded properly for custom maps
  • Fixed tinnitus effect for HE grenades playing twice
  • Fixed the Five-Seven's price not matching the value in the buy menu
  • Fixed case where money and chat HUD icons sometimes being the wrong color at round start
  • Target IDs will no longer show when mp_fadetoblack is active
  • When mp_humanteam is active human teams will be allowed to spectate
  • The "hostage" field of the "hostage_rescued" event is filled in correctly
  • Equipping the silencer is canceled if the player switches weapons
  • Fixed problems with the hostage shack door in cs_compound
  • Fixed "Hostage Rescue Zone" not showing up properly in chat and under the radar
  • Players can only change their names once every 10 seconds, with a max of 5 times every 10 minutes
  • "Enemy Spotted" hint text doesn't show for players behind smoke clouds
  • Flashbang effect can't be reduced by hitting escape or turning off the HUD

[br]Source Engine

• Fixed registry handle leak in VCR mode
  • Added explicit engine error when trying to render too many decals in a frame
  • Sound files will work properly when in a packfile now.

As per usual, to recieve the update, simply restart your Steam client.

No more fast silencer :( *sniff*

i bet thats what valve wants the hackers to think. it should be a surprise to them.

goodbye to fast silencer :(

im new here so...hi.

Dang, the fast silencer was great. Oh well, glad to see some changes.

Awww, I loved fast silencer. ;(
It was a part of CS mystique.

KagePrototype said:
Equipping the silencer is canceled if the player switches weapons
I'm dissapointed. Removing this will means some definite changes to gameplay, especially on fy maps (which I play a lot). When there is only a few seconds (if that) between buy/pickup and engagement, it'll make it tough to use the silencer at all.
Players can only change their names once every 10 seconds, with a max of 5 times every 10 minutes
well, that may assist with letting admins ban the hackers. I've seen quickchange name changing scripts confuse the unskilled admin.
"Enemy Spotted" hint text doesn't show for players behind smoke clouds
huh. I thought it already did this. :p

Really, they should spend their time on VAC2... I've seen a glut of hackers, just in the last few weeks. It's getting pretty bad.

awww, I didn't see that the quick silencer thing is gone ;(

ah well.... updates are good

aww no quick silencer... i was wondering when this would happen... i've been expecting this to be changed for a long time. now the flashbang news IS good. i've on lots of servers where players just don't get blinded by the FB, i had to quit a local server because the admins never seemed to be blinded, and i called them on it, and their whole nerd crew jumped on my ass for it. meh.

Uhh... Hit box fixes? What about the 'quickswitch when throwing a grenade wastes the grenade being thrown' glitch? There are plenty of bugs that need to be fixed..

Too bad for the quick silencer.. The updates, well, I think they are pretty much worthless.

No one's mentioned the buy favorites are now in source. About damn time!

the location names to voice chat is VERY helpful. i'm sick of people saying something and not explaining where they're at(even though you can look on the radar) but it's still beneficial because this gets everyone using a common vernacular in the game

about time they removed that damn "fast silencer" exploit

wodsoa said:
No one's mentioned the buy favorites are now in source. About damn time!

I noticed in spectator mode after you die there was an option to choose buy packages. I guess now it might be functionale. whoo!

Still no solution for the memory crash problem. When will i be able to sit down and relax with some CS: Source or HL2 again without having it crashing to deskopt every 10minutes.

Now they fixed the Silencer, why dont the fix the AWP->Pistol for faster reload on the AWP? I never understood why that was allowed. I mean the AWP is one shot one kill at least make them vunerable while reloading it, by reloading I mean using the bolt to eject and put in the next round not reloading the clip. As it stands now the AWP'ers get to shoot then switch to a pistol, allowing them to be less vunerable to attacks and then pull the AWP back out.

I dont have a problem with AWPs. I just think like most gun you should be vunerable during the reload. That is part of the sniper rifle... well except for the auto :).

Very nice update. That last of the bugs fixed!

Has anyone noticed the bots actually talk now like in CZ? I didn't have that before the update. :|

There is still no fix to the fact that Bots never use smg's, they throw them down, and knife it.

Some of you should try some basic programming, so that you might have some concept of the difficulty in solving certain bugs. Bugs that may seem trivial to you may be very hard to track down and even harder to fix without breaking something.

Clearly, Valve know about these bugs (you mention them every chance you get) and are trying to fix them.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!1111 I love my fast silencer exploit, well I guess its time that I go back to 1.6.

HybridM said:
Some of you should try some basic programming, so that you might have some concept of the difficulty in solving certain bugs. Bugs that may seem trivial to you may be very hard to track down and even harder to fix without breaking something.

Clearly, Valve know about these bugs (you mention them every chance you get) and are trying to fix them.

My thoughts exactly.

Some of you people need to cut back on this incessant negativity or get duct taped if you can't manage that.

mbmonk said:
I just think like most gun you should be vunerable during the reload. That is part of the sniper rifle... well except for the auto :).
But as we all know, auto snipers are evil. EEVIIILLLEEE!!!

There's an unlisted fix... It changed my on-screen font a bit. Specifically, the voice, um, thingy. With the name of who's talking. Anyways, it used to be that I only could see the first 20 characters of the Name, now I can see more. Still not enough, though. The size of the little box it writes it in should be editable.

I thought we already had buy favorites? Or does this mean I can now edit it in the config like in CS?

KagePrototype said:
"Enemy Spotted" hint text doesn't show for players behind smoke clouds
I never use this voice command. Are they talking about the ! that shows above the head of the teammate that issues this voice, or some kind of mark that sppears above the head of the enemy you've spotted?

Hmm never used the silencer :)

I was wondering when they would improve the messy buy system - It rocks! No more notepad scripting in order to set your pref, for low-cash vs. hi-cash vs. t and CT

There is still no fix to the fact that Bots never use smg's, they throw them down, and knife it.

Huh
When i'm playing the bots on expert they use smgs alot particularly as an alternative to the clarion
Really annoying when a bot gets headshots with the p90
bastard!

Varsity said:
NO FAST SILENCER!!!1 VALVe ARE GONIG DOWN!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly!! What were they thinking!!???!?! It's been that way FOREVER!

Back