Crap glitches!

D

DanielZing

Hi, when I play HL2 on my newly bought pc, it quite often lags a little. Can't really find a pattern for the lagging... but it is so annoying and it ruins the gameplay. But the game runs fine otherwise when the game is'nt lagging

My sys:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (90nm)
ASUS A8V Deluxe-WiFi (rev v.2)
Connect3D X800XT Platinum Edition
1GB PC3200 RAM
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB
NEC ND 3500A
ASUS DVD E616P1
Aspire 520W
Windows XP Pro (SP2)

I have installed every update of "windows update" and alle the newest drivers for the chipset, video card and so on.

I have Adaware SE Pro and Norton Internet Security 2005 installed and i have made a full system scan for Antivirus and Spyware and found nothing.

I have Diskeeper 9 installed and i have defragmented the harddrive.

All the other games and programs work fine except HL2?!

I play the game at 1024x768 and every option on the highest level (+Vsync off), with 6xAA and 16xAF.

I have done the stress test and the result it around 125fps, without and lags...

Can someone please help?

You have the infamous stutter bug... OF DOOM!
There is no known solution yet. Make sure you have the Catalyst 4.12 drivers. After that, read up on this guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html
It contains some makeshift fixes.

My personal suggestion is to try running the game in offline mode (unplug your modem before connecting to steam), to close all background programs, and to close explorer through task manager before playing.

Remember, though, you are very lucky if you can completely eliminate the bug. At best, be happy if you can minimize the stutters as much as possible.

I'm reasonably sure your card can handle your settings, but as a check, try "cl_showfps 2" in the console while playing and see if the stutters happen when you are still getting decent fps(above 50/60). If yes, you have the stutter thing that most of us have and you should try the above solutions. If the FPS is dropping below 50, then try 8x AF or 4x AA.

Okay thanks for clearing that out for me. But does everybody have this problem or is it just some people?

I had the same problem. Try turning off "Fast Write" in your bios settings... i have a 6800 Ultra, and when i disabled that option, all the problems in all my games went away.

Back