Crash to desktop when game begins - or completely failing to load

J

Jeeh

Hey everyone.

I've been playing Half Life 2 and CSS for a long time, but kinda stopped some time ago. Now, I wanted to begin again, just for the fun of it,
so I installed both games on the PC I have on my room, which is a slightly lesser one then the one I used to play it on.

This is the problem:

Whenever I launch Half Life 2, I begin with the single player start. After the whole intro, with the G-Man and everything, the game begins.
And exactly at the point where I should be able to move, the game crashes and I get this:

'Failed to lock index buffer in CMeshDX8::LockIndexBuffer'

Steam offers the 'don't press alt+tab' solution, but that of course doesn't change anything. CSS does the exact same thing.
So I reinstalled the game yesterday, completely. Now when I start Half Life 2, it won't even reach the main menu.
I just see the blurred City 17 and the game just doesn't do a thing. I have to reset my PC to begin again.
Does anyone have a clue what is going on? As far as I know I'm not doing anything wrong and the drivers should be up to date, at least my graphic card should be.
No problems with other games, for example, I run Guild Wars and Prey without any trouble. Steam couldn't help me, I did some searching.
Any help is very much appreciated, thanks a lot in advance !

My system:

CPU: Pentium IV 2.5 GHz
Ram: 1,0 GB
NVidia Geforce4 Ti 4200

Back