CS:GO Beta Updated With cs_italy, New Guns, More Invites

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
The Counter-Strike: Global Offensive beta received its usual Friday update this evening, featuring the classic hostage rescue map cs_italy added to quickmatch. Additionally, four new guns (the FAMAS, Galil, P250 and infamous Dual Berettas) were added along with a host of gameplay tweaks and bugfixes and the Arsenal: Demolition map St. Marc.
italyvt.png
The official Counter-Strike blog was also updated with a post concerning the status of the beta, and you can check out the full beta update changelog on Steam. On top of all that, a fresh wave of beta key invites has been sent out to users who filled out the CS:GO beta survey, so restart your Steam client to see if you got lucky!​

How many people took the survey anyway? I'm wondering what percentage of that they're knocking out each time they release a new wave.

Probably a small amount. I'd guess the number of people who signed up via the survey is in six digits at least, and the beta is currently >50k. CS is the most successful multiplayer PC shooter of all time so demand is high!

I read somewhere on SPUF that Valve overhauled the shadowing engine, although it appears to be precalculated still. Source looks good.

I read somewhere on SPUF that Valve overhauled the shadowing engine, although it appears to be precalculated still. Source looks good.
Yes. It wasn't just an overhaul - they replaced the shadow engine completely in the update from the week before this one (the one introducing de_lake and Arsenal: Demolition mode). And it is in fact a global dynamic shadows system (as you can see from the greatly improved dynamic lighting on weapon viewmodels). I am not sure if any shadows are still prebaked or not but my impression is that even the level lighting is totally dynamic.

Yes. It wasn't just an overhaul - they replaced the shadow engine completely in the update from the week before this one (the one introducing de_lake and Arsenal: Demolition mode). And it is in fact a global dynamic shadows system (as you can see from the greatly improved dynamic lighting on weapon viewmodels). I am not sure if any shadows are still prebaked or not but my impression is that even the level lighting is totally dynamic.

Hm, I wonder if this is the lighting (real time radiosity) Valve stated they had working back in 2004-2005, but cut it from the engine do to hardware constraints. Now, with the majority of steam users having DX10/11 systems, Valve can turn implement them to Source. Alot of PC games have it, and it looks good in source.

It's just dynamic shadows. Not to say I'm not pleased with the way it's looking.

Back