CS:S and HL2 will not open

A

abrosas

It says it all in the topic.

What's happening is that I open my Games window and double click on CS:S. The says preparing to play CS:S and the logo then shows up on my screen but immediately closes and the program doesn't launch. I've set my launch options to -width 800 -height 600 -full just to make sure it wasn't a resolution problem. I can play counter-strike 1.6 fine. the same problem goes for HL2. I've tried reinstalling steam, deleting the .gcf's via steam and having them redownload/update the files. i've tried validating the files and no luck there either.

i have a nvidia 7600gt with the latest WHQL certified drivers. I have a sound blaster x-fi with updated drivers. I have an AMD 64 3200 venice at 2.45 ghz and 2gb of OCZ platinum ram.

HELP. 143

edit: i've also tried deleting the clientregistry.blob and restarting steam but still no avail.

just a question. how do if it validated the game properly? when I do it, it goes to 100% then closes. no errors/pop ups. does that mean it validated?

err... Firewall? Sounds like a trojan... but why it'd select single programs above others isn't clear... So it's either that or something someone else says. :D

trojan. the heck :S

I use avg scanner and what not. I regularly check for adware/spyware and i use ccleaner.

I dont know if this makes a difference but I am dual booted (two different drives) with vista and xp. i'm running steam on xp only though so I should see no problem as these games (HL2 and CS:S) ran with no problems before.

okay here's an update

when I had vista installed IT WORKED ON VISTA. i was planning on reformatting my computer anyways and I ended just keeping XP on it. so i put a clean install of XP on my harddrive. reinstalled steam, reinstalled source and hl2 and i'm still getting the same problems. i've tried deleting clientregistry.blob, reinstalling steam, updating graphics/sound card drivers, verifying game integrity.

any thoughts?

Back